Question for Samsung Galaxy owners

mtiger10

Geaux Tigers
Reaction score
Handicap
Had my galaxy s4 for several years, best phone I've ever owned but time to upgrade. Pondering S5, S6, or S6 edge. For owners, do you use case? what type?
Love the sleek look of S6 edge but worried that case will cover it up.
Other general benefits of models I'm considering? Thanks THP community for input

S6 and s6 edge are great devices but battery life is not great. I'd hold out to see what the note 5 has to offer (I've been a note user since it's inception so I'm biased). Just can't beat the screen and battery life IMO, and it's a great package of hardware and software. Some think it's too big but it really does shrink on you after a while lol. As far as the s5, s6 and edge, they are all good too. The non removable battery and non expandable storage is a down side for me on the 6th gen devices. All depends on what you like. As for the cases for the S6 edge, due to the design of the edge screen it's hard to find a good protective case. The Samsung clearview flip case is perhaps the best IMO

I have an S5 and I'm thinking the same thing as Kang about the battery life recently, but I don't know if it's because I don't charge it ideally. I have a SlimArmor case on it and I have big hands so it seems to work fine.

S5 owner here and love it. A few glitches here and there but a quick restart and all is good. I have a Spigen case and love it. And Kang is right, I thought that s5 was huge when I first got it (yes, I know it's not a note big) and it feels completely normal now. I'm getting great battery life and removable memory and battery are key plus sides.

I've got an S5 and have insurance on the phone (waste of money) so I don't bother casing it.

When I actually used a case it was typically a speck, until I got a zero lemon battery which was awesome.

I have an S5 and I love it. The Spigen cases are pretty spiffy but I rock mine without a case. I'm hesitant to go to the s6 because of the change to a non-removable battery. So I'll probably try to get another s5 before they stop supporting them.

I have the S6 with a UAG case on it. I haven't had any problems with the battery yet, although I'm not a heavy user of the phone. I do check emails, social media and text numerous times a day but it's not stuck to my ear all day. The other day I had a 6 hour round, big tournament, and the phone finally died on the 18th hole, I was using a GPS app the hole time.

I 'upgraded' from the S3 to the S6 and I kind of wish I hadn't. The fact that the S6 has no removable battery or storage didn't seem like a deal killer at the time but now I wish I had thought about it harder. As expected the S6 came with scores of bloatware and the leaked rumors of being able to uninstall the extra apps the phones shipped with proved to be untrue. They also went from manufacturing in S. Korea to China. I am not sure when that change happened or if it is specific to the S6.
Never needed a case for the S3 but the S6 will never see life outside of a case. I went with the Spigen Tough Armor Case which has great reviews and looks clean and does a good job of protecting the camera, which protrudes out of the back of the phone.
The Mrs. upgraded at the same time from an older Motorola to the S5 and she loves it. Reminds me of the S3, which I loved.

If I had to do it again I would have gone with the S5 or a new Motorola phone. The S6 was, for me at least, a mistake.

Previous S4 and S5 user, now on the Note 4 and love it. Good battery life, screen, and camera. Using a Samsung slim case and it's not clunky at all.

S5 here, I picked up a Casemate cover its really nice and light and looks great as well. I had pondered the battery pack cases but the life in these are much better then my past phone (IPhone 5s). No need now.

I went for the S6.

The S6 Edge's screen looks nice, but seemed a but gimmicky to me. It's rarely utilized, makes the screen a lot more vulnerable, and, if you have large hands, makes that the phone doesn't feel nice to hold. There are a lot of protective cases, and most of them will not cover up the screen, which is good for accessibility, but bad for the actual protection.

I really like the S6. It's fast, the screen is beautiful, and battery life is more than acceptable, although I have to say I have the screen low on the brightness, because if you have it really bright it will drain your battery really fast. I have a couple of wireless charging pods (which are absolutely brilliant BTW), so I put on on them whenever I'm behind my desk at work or in bed. You really have to make sure you get the one which has the storage to suit your needs, and I get the fact some may view the lack of external storage as something negative.

I agree with Mash above. I went with the S6 over the Edge for the same reasons he stated. My battery life has been more than adequate. Lasting 36 hours or more for me with what is typical use I'd guess.

I've got the s4 and will be picking up the note 5 in a few weeks. I also heard rumors of a s6 plus so you could wait and check that out too. As for cases there's companies like Spigen that put out nice slim cases that protect and don't add much bulk

I have a Spigen case and tempered glass on my S4, never worry about drops and it's very thin. The reviews on S6 edge say finding a protective case is tough, the tempered glass always separates from the curved sides. Sounds like some S6 owners have regrets, non replaceable battery and storage is definitely a con. I like the display size of the Galaxy, can't see moving to Note because I carry the device in my pocket.

Back