Question for any Veterans on the forum

Phil75070

Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 #TheGrandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
How many of you are aware that, as a veteran, you can salute the flag during the playing of the National Anthem and a couple of other instances? For those of you who do know this, do you do it or don't salute, as you would feel awkward being in civilian clothes?

I didn’t know that but will definitely salute going forward.

How many of you are aware that, as a veteran, you can salute the flag during the playing of the National Anthem and a couple of other instances? For those of you who do know this, do you do it or don't salute, as you would feel awkward being in civilian clothes?
I didn't salute inside unless under arms and wearing a cover.

I don't salute anymore. Ever.

Yes, I knew I could do it but also would feel awkward. I was at a funeral at Arlington this summer for my wife's uncle and I did salute there. Just felt it honored his service and knew it was allowed

Last edited:
I stand at attention but no salute. No need to draw attention to myself and away from the flag.

I wouldn’t consider it drawing attention to myself but rather honoring the flag and the country.

I wouldn’t consider it drawing attention to myself but rather honoring the flag and the country.
Whatever works for you.That is what works for me.

I knew about it but would feel awkward in civilian clothes.

I had a promotion ceremony in civvies on deployment and that was pretty awkward. But that’s not why I wouldn’t salute. I just like to be low key and don’t like the eyeballs. Nowadays I just bow my head in remembrance. If I’m wearing a hat, I’ll put the hat over my heart.

Yes, I know. Myself, i tend to stand at attention during the National Anthem. Thats what i feel as the right respect for me.

The only time I saluted was at my Dads funeral, usually hand over heart.

I usually just stand to attention in civvie clothes, we are taught in Australia to only salute when wearing headress (hat of the day/uniform) in uniform, so it would feel awkward to salute in civvies without a hat on, I wouldnt wear my hat (in civvies) during the national anthem either.

The only time I have saluted in civvies was at my Grandfathers funeral who was a US Army Veteran.

Inconspicuously stand at attention with my hands by my side. I don't feel the need to draw any more attention to myself than necessary.

USAF retiree. I salute. Do not feel awkward.

It is a fairly recent change to the US Code:
Federal law authorizes veterans to salute the flag in several situations:
- The Pledge of Allegiance (Title 4 USC section 4)
- During hoisting, lowering, or passing of the American flag (Title 4 USC section 9)
- National Anthem (Title 36 USC section 301)

I feel it is a special privilege given only to us who have served, so I salute.

I had no idea... admittedly I will probably just keep doing what I have been doing and put my hand over my heart. I could see potentially doing it if the ceremony were more personal in nature.

I live in San Antonio, TX (Military City, USA). A LOT of retirees and veterans here. I belong to a couple of genealogical organizations (Sons of The American Revolution, GSW 1812), so I attend several patriotic ceremonies. At first I felt a little awkward saluting in civilian clothing but I've started saluting in the appropriate circumstances more and more and see more veterans saluting. As veterans "we did what we did", but I feel that we earned that privilege to render a salute in honor of our experience and dedication to our country. I don't think that it's a matter of calling attention to ourselves but that could be related to living in San Antonio and Texas.

Back