Question about Xbox 360 hook-ups...

Joshzilla

Secret Agent
Reaction score
Handicap
So I just got a new surround sound system. I would like to hook up the 360 using HDMI...but...my system is pretty ancient and I have up until now been using the component cables w/ optical audio. Web searches are confusing the bejeezus outta me.

Anybody know if it's possible?

So I just got a new surround sound system. I would like to hook up the 360 using HDMI...but...my system is pretty ancient and I have up until now been using the component cables w/ optical audio. Web searches are confusing the bejeezus outta me.

Anybody know if it's possible?

Yes it is possible. I have my hooked via HDMI to my surround sound system.

Is it the old white one? I am pretty sure they didn't start adding ports to 360's for a while.

Yeah, the old sucker. I would have thought there would be an adapter, but I'm comin' up with nothing. It hurts me deep within my dark black soul to think that I have to buy a new Xbox just for a stupid cable to work.

Yeah, the old sucker. I would have thought there would be an adapter, but I'm comin' up with nothing. It hurts me deep within my dark black soul to think that I have to buy a new Xbox just for a stupid cable to work.

I have an old white xbox 360 and I have it running through my surround sound no problem. I can take connection pics when I get home if you want.

I don't think there is an adapter for it because you would be making a jump from analog to digital. I tried to do something similar in the past and it never worked out for me.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

It shouldn't matter whether you have the older component cables or the new HDMI if you have a modern HD flatscreen. Digital Optical Audio is one of the best ways to connect from TV to sound system, but you might have to go into the TV's menu and go to your audio options to turn the digital optical audio port on. Anything you connect to the TV should have its audio coming out of that port, and by using that D.O.A. cable from your TV to your sound system, that should take care of it.

Why can't you just run the HDMI into your TV and run your audio out of the TV into your surround? I've always done it that way and never had an issue with sound quality.

I have an old white xbox 360 and I have it running through my surround sound no problem. I can take connection pics when I get home if you want.

That's nice of you, but a lot of trouble. The next posts cement my fear...

I don't think there is an adapter for it because you would be making a jump from analog to digital. I tried to do something similar in the past and it never worked out for me.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

I was afraid of that.

It shouldn't matter whether you have the older component cables or the new HDMI if you have a modern HD flatscreen. Digital Optical Audio is one of the best ways to connect from TV to sound system, but you might have to go into the TV's menu and go to your audio options to turn the digital optical audio port on. Anything you connect to the TV should have its audio coming out of that port, and by using that D.O.A. cable from your TV to your sound system, that should take care of it.

Yeah, I really just wanted to clean things up and have 1 cord running to the a/v box and be done with it, but that'll work.

Why can't you just run the HDMI into your TV and run your audio out of the TV into your surround? I've always done it that way and never had an issue with sound quality.

My Xbox doesn't have HDMI output. It's ancient.

Thanks everybody for the feedback!

Make absolutely sure it doesnt have HDMI because if I remember correctly there was a door or something I had to take off to get access to it.

My Xbox doesn't have HDMI output. It's ancient.

Thanks everybody for the feedback!

It's a 360 right? Man I thought everything from the arcade model up came with HDMI output. Still you shouldn't have much of an issue, simple video/audio in and getting the audio back to the head unit.

Your output cable looks like this I presume?

xbox360handson_screen003.jpg

Honestly what we did is this: we have a Bose sound system for our TV so we hooked it up to the TV's output and then when we play x Box 360, the sound that comes out of the TV (from the X box) goes to the bose surround sound so we didn't have to buy any xbox specific cables if that makes sense

Back