woodenshoe

Reaction score
Handicap
First, I am a left handed golfer. My problem with putting is I pull many putts to my right. I feel like I am lined up straight onto the hole. Any ideas or tips to help correct this problem? Thanks.

First, I am a left handed golfer. My problem with putting is I pull many putts to my right. I feel like I am lined up straight onto the hole. Any ideas or tips to help correct this problem? Thanks.

Flattening your lie angle on your putter can help.

Flattening your lie angle on your putter can help.

But could just be a massive band aid.

Odds are it is in the stroke. Perhaps a combination of face angle issues and cutting across the ball or just not allowing the putter to move freely on the arc without manipulation. When I used to miss that war (opposite obviously since I'm RH) it was an issue of holding off the putter on the backstroke (not allowing it to flow on the arc) and then releasing fully through the ball resulting in pulls. Could be many things, sure lie angle could help, but with a putter 9 times out of 10 its going to be in the stroke.

But could just be a massive band aid.

Odds are it is in the stroke. Perhaps a combination of face angle issues and cutting across the ball or just not allowing the putter to move freely on the arc without manipulation. When I used to miss that war (opposite obviously since I'm RH) it was an issue of holding off the putter on the backstroke (not allowing it to flow on the arc) and then releasing fully through the ball resulting in pulls. Could be many things, sure lie angle could help, but with a putter 9 times out of 10 its going to be in the stroke.

Only way to tell would be to get putter fitting. It has been my experience with putting that band aid fixes normally work better than they do with the full swing, could just be me. It's ironic to me that most on here preach fitting for full swing clubs and not the putter, and it is the most individual aspect of golf.

Only way to tell would be to get putter fitting. It has been my experience with putting that band aid fixes normally work better than they do with the full swing, could just be me. It's ironic to me that most on here preach fitting for full swing clubs and not the putter, and it is the most individual aspect of golf.

Putter fitting is actually talked about a great bit here.

Give a putting mirror a try. I thought it was a gimmick at first, but then I realized how off line I was when I got set. Feet were aiming left and naturally my shoulders were turned left and I would sweep the putter to the right to compensate. My putts are more accurate now because of this. Two weeks of using the mirror both on practice greens and my birdieball green have shown results.

I had a similar issue a few years back. Pulled everything. For me it was my stroke. I thought I was going straight back and straight through, but I was going outside slightly to inside slightly. To top it off I was releasing the toe a little and closing the face. I got matched up to a putter that fit my eye better and did some drills at the putting green and at home where I set up tees so I could tell exactly what my club head was doing throughout the stroke. It has helped a lot.

I would try closing one eye and then the other to see if the ball moves. Perhaps your vision is dominated by one eye while looking straight down.

I could give you tips til I am blue in the face but please take a look at the attached video. There are many more like this on Pat's youtube page. He is the best I have come across

Back