Putting: Lessons Learned

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
Now that many of you out there are taking putting lessons, I find myself curious about a few things you all are learning and just how much you feel these lessons have helped your game. Right now my putting has never been better, but I'm seriously considering seeing if I can improve even that much more.

I'd like to hear all the info possible, but one special question I have is where are they teaching you to actually strike the ball? I noticed that I was making contact a little high on the ball and since making an effort to strick the ball lower I feel like the ball hops less, holds much better line and less short putts. Is this crazy or not?

When my instructor and I focused on my putting (first lesson, and part of the second ... so 90 minutes total) we focused on routine first (how do I approach reading the green, lining up my ball, and getting myself ready to make my stroke), and mechanics second. In my mechanics I was prone to lifting my head, so we worked on countering that as part of my routine (focus on keeping head down and not lifting it until after I made a two count after ball strike). We also worked on the stroke and having a clean pull back (no pulling the club head off the target line), keeping a proper tempo, and stroking through the ball rather than stabbing at it. Last, we went over two drills that I could work on to keep my putting sharp and confidence high.

That is definitely a good thing. Hitting down on the ball with a putt can lead to some bad rolls and as you noticed a lot of hopping. It produces backspin which is why putters like YES are popular due to the forward roll they produce.

I ended up in a group with some guy a few weeks ago, and he was hitting down on his putts so much that several of them popped at least 6 inches in the air. And no, he did not have a good putt all day.

I was taught that the backswing is always less than the follow through.

Also, try to hit the ball on a slight upswing to get the ball rolling forward right away. I myself was at a point catching the ground on the downswing.

A whole other topic I must say is when reading the green, picture pouring a glass of water in the cup to see where it runs off to.

Tap tap taparoo

Thanks all for the input. I didn't mean hitting down on the ball, but lower. If you ever notice where you make contact with the ball, I've seem many who actually do so almost center or slightly below center.

Once I feel like I'm on my line, I "take the slack out" of my putter. It's still on the ground, but I feel like it's an ounce away from coming off the ground. I had a habit of scuffing the ground behind the ball, and my coach suggested it. Works well, especially for longer putts, and keeps me from hitting down so much.

The best tip I've received for draining more putts: Listen to it hit the cup. In other words, keeping my head down and not even trying to track the ball as it leaves the putter face. As my coach pointed out, you'll know if it's on line before it leaves your peripheral vision anyway. Why possibly jerk it by moving your head or even thinking about moving your head?

I don't focus on where I strike the ball. All I worry about is whether I'm rolling the ball on my intended line.

Unconscious Putting has changed my putting.

I don't focus on where I strike the ball. All I worry about is whether I'm rolling the ball on my intended line.

Unconscious Putting has changed my putting.

This. Took the plunge at the advice of Clive and it's really changed my putting for the better

I've heard a number of different versions on the stroke itself. The key for me, and what seems to be across the board for good putters on the PGA is the placement of their eyes directly over the ball at set up. To often I see a player reaching for a ball where the ball would line up with their ball cap (if a line vent vertical from the ball) or into their chin/neck. I guess I always looked at it like shooting (anything) at a target. Examples being shooting a basketball, you don't put the ball out by your ear when you shoot? No, you put it in front of your face, right on the target. You shouldn't shoot a gun, or bow and arrow that way either, would you? No! So why would you not get right over the ball and look down your target this way as well?
So how do you know your are over the ball correctly? Simple, grab your putting at the top of the grip with one hand, let it hang down and then place the butt of the club right between your eyes. If it's hanging directly over the ball, you'll see this.
As for putting strokes. I've always been in the less is more camp. Meaning, I want my hands to hang and grab the putter at that point. I'm making a triangle with my shoulders and arms and putting on a pendulum. I'm not letting my elbows pop out, I'm doing my best to keep that triangle thought my stroke/motion. I'm telling myself to keep my lower body as still as I can. I don't want a major weight shifting or hip turn at all. I want everything in my shoulders, and I want my head to stay as still as possible until the ball is off the clubs face for a few seconds.

It's works for me.

This. Took the plunge at the advice of Clive and it's really changed my putting for the better

In all seriousness, I really used to be a terrible putter. I might not make every putt now, but I feel like I can.

In all seriousness, I really used to be a terrible putter. I might not make every putt now, but I feel like I can.

Yup. I've kinda put my own spin on the no practice stroke ala Jordan Spieth. No practice strokes on putts under 10 feet

I agree with Agent Jay. Simple is best with putting. Be over the ball, keep your head down until the ball is out of your field of vision. For me, the stroke itself is all about smoothness. Light grip. Exhale right before you start your stroke. As with the shooting analogy, breath control can be very important to a good stroke as well.

Back