BKloss

Reaction score
Handicap
What is everyone putting technique? What do you focus on? Break? Speed? Grain direction? Which is the leading factor in where you aim? Do you aim at something 2-3 feet in front of your ball or at the hole? I recently played with a guy in league who brought up a valid thought I think. "when I can see the bottom of the cup I don't play anymore break than outside edge ? Thoughts?

Check out the Seemore testing thread...there is alot of great info about the SPi thoughts on putting.

SeeMore Testing

Always have the putter's butt end point at your belt buckle. Aim for the high side of the club. Point the ball on the line and align the putter. I rarely take a lot of practice strokes. I trust my eyes. And more importantly, always tell myself that the putt doesn't break as much as I think it does.

Eyes over the ball. I worry more about speed than anything else, because even if you have the right line, you'll still miss without the right speed. At least that's how I feel. I have my most successful putting days when I have the best feel for speed on the greens.

I don't spend to long looking at the line, I just pick my line and go for it. I prefer to make sure my eyes are over the ball and my stroke is smooth.

I try to let mine die at the hole because I don't like three puts. That said it is necessary to allow more break.

If you want to develop a putting technique, read Dave Pelz's Putting Bible. You will learn more than you ever wanted to know about every minutia of putting. Excellent points if you can get by the first half of the book. Lots of science there.

Every aspect is important as if you have the right speed, but wrong line you'll miss it and vice versa. That said, many instructors will agree that speed is the most important aspect. You have to get the right line with the right speed to make the putt; however, if you miss the line by a bit you'll keep yourself two putting instead of three putting more often.

I try to concentrate on speed. I also try to be fairly quick over my putts. One practice stroke, pick my line, address the ball, and go. The longer I take, the worse I putt.

Speed and having EXACTLY the same pre-shot routine every time. For me that means 1 practice stroke, set the putter head on the correct line, adjust my feet to the putter head, look at the hole and then back at the ball once or twice, and pull the trigger!! After I read a putt my whole routine takes 8 seconds or less(yes I've measured it) to hit the putt. Im dumfounded watching the way most people putt!! They have no consistant pre-shot routine and they set their feet before aiming the face of the putter. They always take more time for a birdie or eagle putt than they do a putt for a double bogey. I believe most of them could make more putts if they didn't take so much time.

. They always take more time for a birdie or eagle putt than they do a putt for a double bogey. I believe most of them could make more putts if they didn't take so much time.

Couldn't agree more. My putting improved tenfold when I sped everything up.

Ever since the SeeMore testing began again and they started posting what their SPI trainers told them, my putting has improved a ton. I'm standing much more upright, eye's back to just inside the ball, ball slightly forward of center grip changed a bit and a much longer fuller stroke through the ball. I putted lights out yesterday even though I ended with 17/17 34 putts. That was with one 3 putt on the front and one on back, both were silly long putts and really no surprise. One of those days were I hit a lot of greens, but left long putts.

The SeeMore technique just flat out works!

Ever since the SeeMore testing began again and they started posting what their SPI trainers told them, my putting has improved a ton. I'm standing much more upright, eye's back to just inside the ball, ball slightly forward of center grip changed a bit and a much longer fuller stroke through the ball. I putted lights out yesterday even though I ended with 17/17 34 putts. That was with one 3 putt on the front and one on back, both were silly long putts and really no surprise. One of those days were I hit a lot of greens, but left long putts.

The SeeMore technique just flat out works!

Ive gone back to it as well Due. Not sure yet if its a good thing 2 weeks away from a pretty nerve filled event!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

LOL, ******, you're always changing something. At the beginning of the year I read, "Putting out of your Mind" by Dr Bob Rotella and it has changed my game for the better. Its a book far more about mental approach to putting and not the mechanical side of things and for me that helped a ton.

My approach to every putt is the same now, I don't think about the speed at all, as I just let my eyes and my body naturally react to what the speed of the putt is going to be. I almost always go with my first read as more often than not that is the correct one. I pick a small target either in the cup, or beside the cup wherever and now thats all I think about till I'm done the stroke.

I align my putting line to my line, set up beside the ball, and I take a look at my aim point, look down and think only of that image in my mind while I make a practice stroke. I then move into the ball, get comfortable, take a look at my aim point, look at the ball only thinking of the image of my aim point, and make a stroke.

I've been reading that as well CB! I like his approach. Try to make everything

LOL, ******, you're always changing something. At the beginning of the year I read, "Putting out of your Mind" by Dr Bob Rotella and it has changed my game for the better. Its a book far more about mental approach to putting and not the mechanical side of things and for me that helped a ton.

My approach to every putt is the same now, I don't think about the speed at all, as I just let my eyes and my body naturally react to what the speed of the putt is going to be. I almost always go with my first read as more often than not that is the correct one. I pick a small target either in the cup, or beside the cup wherever and now thats all I think about till I'm done the stroke.

I align my putting line to my line, set up beside the ball, and I take a look at my aim point, look down and think only of that image in my mind while I make a practice stroke. I then move into the ball, get comfortable, take a look at my aim point, look at the ball only thinking of the image of my aim point, and make a stroke.

Routine is something I need to really work on...I tend to look at it from behind and the get over it and go...no real routine at all.

I play on Poa greens (poorly maintained-they bought rollers this year but now hardly cut, they just roll most of the time), and they break a lot less than most greens around here. I look from behind the hole and decide how hard I need to hit it (usually I try to go a foot past the hole unless on the hole-clock I'm planning to go in anywhere but b/w 4 and 8 o'clock). Then I look from behind my ball (or marker if I'm not first to putt), and decide where I'm aiming. Once it's my turn, I line up my ball on the line I want (I put a line around my ball), look from behind the ball to see if it's aimed where I want, then get in my stance (ball well forward). I stand just far enough away from the ball that my practice stroke isn't a danger to the ball (1 practice stroke unless it's really bad), then just lean forward so that my eye is over the ball. I look once at the hole before the stroke, but then just stare at the dimple I want to hit and take my stroke. I try not to raise my eyes until my followthrough has completely stopped.

Grip: I use a baseball grip. I used to have my index finger pointing down the grip (it felt more secure), but my lesson pro told me it leads to a lot of misses (pulls if I'm remembering correctly)

P.S. on my course I always play less break than I see, I'm actually a much better putter on faster greens that break more (though had 7 1putts yesterday! and only 2 from inside 4 feet)

Last edited:
Back