Putter Length and low back pain, does it make a difference?

Scooby45

Use data, get better.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10ish
Spent some time on the practice green after a busy weekend and the back was barking at me a couple hours later. It made me wonder if adding an inch or two to putter length would make a noticeable difference.

Have you extended a putter to make it more comfortable? Was it noticeable? How did it work out for you?

i have not from experience but physically it makes sense that longer should take stress off the low back.

That's one of the things that Tiger said he can no longer do is put in all the time practice putting bc of his low back problems

Spent some time on the practice green after a busy weekend and the back was barking at me a couple hours later. It made me wonder if adding an inch or two to putter length would make a noticeable difference.

Have you extended a putter to make it more comfortable? Was it noticeable? How did it work out for you?
Are you thinking of one putter (longer) specific to practice and your regular length for play or just going longer for everything?

It makes perfect sense that a longer putter would take the pressure off your low back. Also having someone to retrieve the balls out of the cup would help to save you bending over

I think it changes your stroke a bit, but can see the benefit if your back is bothering you. I’ve done several by adding a couple inches and XL grips for CB. Nothing to it.

Are you thinking of one putter (longer) specific to practice and your regular length for play or just going longer for everything?

It makes perfect sense that a longer putter would take the pressure off your low back. Also having someone to retrieve the balls out of the cup would help to save you bending over
Retrieving balls assumes I make them ! (putter has been cold to start this season 😢)

But no, I think I would use the longer one as I spend time practicing with it

Last edited:
I think it does. My reasoning is this.

When practicing with my #1, 33" gamer, after a while my lower back become uncomfortable. This is due to being bent over, repeating several putting strokes in row.

Now when I use my much longer, broom stick putter that allows me to stand up straighter when practicing my putting, I never feel any lower back issues.

Now, when playing, and once on the green, Im only putting 1-3 times per hole, so Im not bent over long enough to feel any lower back issues. If I did, I would start using the much longer putter.

I found my back would become uncomfortable after I got a putting mirror and put my eye over the ball.
I realized it wasn't enough of an improvement to bother, so now I stand more upright and don't stress my back by putting my eye over the ball.

I putted just fine as little kid.

@Scooby45 I've had the same problems and wondered the same things. I've used anything from a 33" putter to a 36" putter and had the same lower back pain regardless of the length. Not tried broomstick yet to see if that cures it, but I've just come to realize I need to do putter practice in small spurts instead of long drawn out sessions.

This may affect the stroke, as a heads up.

does your back hurt similarly after a round of golf? if so does playing your irons cause back pain. if not then I would not adjust putter length if it is working ok. just don't practice in long periods.

@Scooby45 I've had the same problems and wondered the same things. I've used anything from a 33" putter to a 36" putter and had the same lower back pain regardless of the length. Not tried broomstick yet to see if that cures it, but I've just come to realize I need to do putter practice in small spurts instead of long drawn out sessions.
Good to know it hasn't made much of a difference,

(although this is a data point against me buying a new putter this week which is a little sad :cry: )

does your back hurt similarly after a round of golf? if so does playing your irons cause back pain. if not then I would not adjust putter length if it is working ok. just don't practice in long periods.
No, really just crops up after longer short game practice sessions. At least I can't recall it feeling really tight during a round.

Good to know it hasn't made much of a difference,

(although this is a data point against me buying a new putter this week which is a little sad :cry: )
To be fair- buying another putter is always the best option.

When I did a putter fitting, the fitter recomended a 37" putter. I used it for a while and it did somewhat reduce the back pain I experienced if I practiced more than 15-20 minutes. Eventually, I went back to my 35" putter and modified my practice routine to break up the length of time I spent in my putting stance.

When I did a putter fitting, the fitter recomended a 37" putter. I used it for a while and it did somewhat reduce the back pain I experienced if I practiced more than 15-20 minutes. Eventually, I went back to my 35" putter and modified my practice routine to break up the length of time I spent in my putting stance.
much appreciated

I have 2 conventional putters. A face balanced 33.5" M-craft III for good back days, and a 35.25" M-Craft IV for bad back days, with a more upright stance.
BUT, now the 43" Lean Lock has kicked the others out of the bag. The open , upright stance allows for a repeatable, dead straight stroke, with co concern as to weather its a good back or bad back day. It just plain works.

always played 35" putters.

been choking down a bit more recently and can feel it with extended practice.

built out a 34" and 36" putter recently. curious if it's noticeable either way.

always played 35" putters.

been choking down a bit more recently and can feel it with extended practice.

built out a 34" and 36" putter recently. curious if it's noticeable either way.
Keep me posted. I’m finding better contact at 34” but the back feels it if I’m not careful about it.

I have 2 conventional putters. A face balanced 33.5" M-craft III for good back days, and a 35.25" M-Craft IV for bad back days, with a more upright stance.
BUT, now the 43" Lean Lock has kicked the others out of the bag. The open , upright stance allows for a repeatable, dead straight stroke, with co concern as to weather its a good back or bad back day. It just plain works.
I’m going to have to jump into that thread.

Brad Faxon likes to see putter length within 1/2” of your wrist to floor measurement. I’m 5’11” and for me that means playing a 33” putter. IMO, a lot of golfers could benefit from a proper putter fitting. Things like length, toe hand, swingweight, and and lie matter a lot an most golfers have never had a proper fitting.

Obviously there is a lot a variation here and guys like Ricky use a longer putter but grip down on it a lot.

An article that discusses putter length.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpeg
    IMG_0637.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a fused disc in my lower back and I went with a 35.5" putter for my last purchase. I wanted to keep it close to standard but every little bit extra that allows me to be upright does help, even if it's just a little bit. Figured I could always grip down on it a little bit if I wanted it shorter but I generally don't do that.

Much like hitting balls at driving range …
If I putt for extended length of time ,
slight soreness in back . That’s because stance and not moving much …

So I don’t think that’s the case - length of putter , as it happens equally with driver through to wedges ….

I used to get back pain from practicing putting but then I started doing strength training at the gym 3x a week and built the muscle to protect it.

Got much better at putting. Coincidence?? 🤔

Multiple ways to skin a cat

My putter is only 32.5 and 3 degrees upright and I’m 6’1

I use a prayer grip. This lets me stand much taller at address

This became my style 5 years ago when trying to practice w a sore lower back

Back