ATLGolfer

#ATLClive75
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been fortunate enough to go through club fittings, but I still use an off the rack putter. I always wonder if I would benefit from a putter fitting.

For those who have been fitted for a putter, tell us about it. Where did you get fitted? What drills did they have you do? What type of equipment did they use?

and, if you were fitted for a putter, did you see an improvement in your putting afterwards? How so?

Did you know that putters used to be shipped without grips? The pro would always fit for length, cut the shaft, then install the grip. Then, pro shops complained so manufacturers started making them all 35" long and gripped....

Chances are you are playing with a putter that's too long right now - which means your eyes are not directly over the ball and your line of putt.

I would like to hear more from people who have been fitted as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is something I have been curious about. I would love to go through a putter fitting at some point, if for nothing else than to experience it. I think though, I could get a lot of good insight out of it.

I cant answer this yet, but I know quite a few guys who will be able to after June!

I've had several putter fittings, from relatively low tech to extremely high tech. The simple way is to have someone with a trained eye watching the putter head as you make a stroke, I did mine using a video camera. You find the lie angle when the putter head is parallel to the ground at impact, it's easier to see with the naked eye versus an iron due to it being a slower moving head (obviously). Then from the side, you observe what type of shaft lean, if any there is at impact. This will tell if you need to alter the loft. I have done both of these steps for myself using a video camera to see my positions at impact.

The high tech ones I have had done were at The Oven with high speed cameras capturing the ball coming off the face measuring skid and direction. Odyssey has a similar system for measuring the ball off of the face for loft and lie suggestions. The good news is that my thoughts matched up to the high tech fittings and I have all of my putters bent to the same spec.

Back