Pull up to increase club speed?

Colt

Two is one and one is none
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: ????
I read this in a Golf Magazine article by Brian Manzella. He said to increase club head speed and make better contact on iron shots you should feel like your trying to pull the shaft out of the club head just before contact. Doesn't this go against everything that has ever been taught about hitting down and through the ball? What am I missing here?

Not sure where he's going with that one. Doesn't seem like a useful tip to me.

Sounds like he means to explain the method to be like "cracking the whip". It also sounds like it would be very timing dependent.

I read the same tip and tried it and it does work and works well for me....

I read the same tip and tried it and it does work and works well for me....

I tried it for a while... I topped a lot of shots and hit a lot of thin ones too. No crisp contact our increase in clubhead speed for me. Just a massive headache.

Can't really see that as being a logical way to gain clubhead speed. Also you would need incredible timing and swing control

IT does work to increase clubhead speed and he's got a gazillion trackman sessions to prove it, but it is a very different concept. I used to be a huge BManz fan, but lately he appears to be going against the grain to go against the grain with many of his concepts. Often contradicting his own philosophies.

There is a video I saw on YouTube that explained you want to squat almost on the down swing and then explode off your lower body to get some serious power.

IT does work to increase clubhead speed and he's got a gazillion trackman sessions to prove it, but it is a very different concept. I used to be a huge BManz fan, but lately he appears to be going against the grain to go against the grain with many of his concepts. Often contradicting his own philosophies.

Does a gazillion come after a billion? :alien:

Does a gazillion come after a billion? :alien:

That's a good question and for some reason having a tough time verifying,,,,,, can't seem to find gazilion in my 8th grade math book....... Which is where I left off......

This sounds like the "thin to win" method.. I'll be sure to not try and pull up before contact.

otherwise known as the mikedean

This sounds like the "thin to win" method.. I'll be sure to not try and pull up before contact.

otherwise known as the mikedean

You know what's great about the "thin to win" or "mikedean" though. They don't do much in the way of lateral movement!!! Straight low flying lasers.

Probably talking about finishing a swing with the thought that your shoulders & trunk need to stay in place while rotating which is resisting the pull of the arms, hands, & club to release on the ball's flight path. Never thought of "pulling" but resisting the bodies momentum to finish the follow thru & stay in place works for me...

Had a guy at a golf shop tell me its the golfing magazines and all the "tips" that they give that keeps him in business...

I read this in a Golf Magazine article by Brian Manzella. He said to increase club head speed and make better contact on iron shots you should feel like your trying to pull the shaft out of the club head just before contact. Doesn't this go against everything that has ever been taught about hitting down and through the ball? What am I missing here?
The motion of pull a shaft is actually pulling down and through. It also really initiates the left side pulling through the ball.

The motion of pull a shaft is actually pulling down and through. It also really initiates the left side pulling through the ball.

See. This is how I've always done it. I try to throw the butt end of the club into the ground and down the target line for as long as possible until the club head refuses to stay behind any longer.

See. This is how I've always done it. I try to throw the butt end of the club into the ground and down the target line for as long as possible until the club head refuses to stay behind any longer.

I know that moved did lead to me coming of the top at times. It's amazing how certain thoughts and moves work for different people.

I know that moved did lead to me coming of the top at times. It's amazing how certain thoughts and moves work for different people.

It did for me too until i started working on what feels like keeping my back to the target all the way until my follow through. That fixed that.

Back