PSA: Have uncomfortable conversations

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
@jazi95's unfortunate situation and my situation this time last year has prompted me to make this post. Apologies for the not-fun subject.

Folks, have an uncomfortable conversation with your parents and your spouse and anyone else for whom you might be expected to make decisions (except perhaps children). Learn about their wishes for their end-of-life whenever it may happen and write them down. Take the time to visit an estate attorney now and have the proper papers drawn up. They can help with wills, trusts, powers of attorney, advanced care directives, etc.

My wife was a stage IV cancer patient. She fought like hell and we were always positive and hopeful, but we knew in the back of our minds that the day would likely come when the doctor would have the conservation with us that there was nothing more that could be done and we needed to start making final plans.

However, that's not what happened. What happened was she took a turn for the worse one Sunday morning, and passed away the next Saturday morning with not much lucidity in-between. And when she was still lucid, I certainly wasn't going to spend time discussing legal documents. Fortunately we had already done the most important documents, but I wish we had done more. I thought we were going to have months to discuss this stuff, but we ended up with no time at all. I wish I knew the exact music she wanted. I wish we had discussed what floral arrangements she wanted. I wish we had discussed what she wanted written on her grave marker. I wish I knew I was doing those things exactly in accordance with her wishes, rather than doing the best I could.

Furthermore, I'd advise everyone to take out a large insurance policy on both yourself and your spouse. I know financial advisors will tell you only the primary bread winner needs a big insurance policy, but I promise there are unexpected things. Don't misunderstand me - in no way would a big insurance payment lessen the pain of losing a loved one at all. However, it does ease the life you have to deal with afterward. You and your kids can take a big trip. You can move if you want. You can pay someone else to take care of your yard for a year. It can help with your kids' college tuition. Etc, etc.

The point is, insurance can often be had for not much money. It's usually not difficult to qualify for even a large policy. However, if you decide "We'll get to it at some point," in a flash the opportunity may be gone. Once you hear the words "you have cancer," the opportunity is gone. You can no longer qualify. Nobody expects that. Nobody expects the heart attack they have, the diabetes diagnosis, or the unforeseen car crash. Once those things happen, the chance is forever lost, so do it now.

I hope this helps someone and again, apologies for the morose topic. But having been through it, I'm hopeful this will make it better for someone. The reality is we all will be in this situation eventually.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and I am sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss

Having been through it with my Mom, my Dad is constantly pushing this info on me.

I hate him for it, and I wish he'd stop, but I am quietly extremely grateful that he wants everything to be easier on me if something ever happened.

So sorry for your loss, my deepest condolescenses.

Great advice

Advance medical directives are so important also!!

Absolutely sound advice and something my wife and I need to do sooner rather than later.

Sorry for your loss Wade.

My condolences guys. When my aunt passed this year my parents really decided to get their ducks in a row. A huge weight off our shoulders, so maybe in those last days we can spend more quality time.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know there are no words that I or anyone else can provide to give you true peace or comfort, but we're thinking of you and wishing you and your family the best. ♥️

These are important lessons and messages that I often have with my clients. They can be uncomfortable and don't always go well, but can create conversation and changes in the weeks, months and years after those first conversations. And while I think life insurance is most certainly a great piece to a financial plan (for everyone, not just the breadwinner bc everyone has a value and importance even if they aren't bringing in an income), it will very greatly for each situation.

Sorry for your loss.

With both of my parents having passed away last year my wife and I have accelerated our estate planning including having an open conversation with our kids. Not a easy conversation but a good one to have. One of the things we have also done is put together an important document for our kids that includes: lawyers, accountant, life insurance broker, mortgage names and numbers etc. We also have a safe at home that has our wills and other important documents.

I appreciate everyone's condolences and certainly the flood of condolences I got last year. I'm doing OK. It has not been easy at all and I still have plenty of moments, but myself and my kids are finding ways to move forward and to try to enjoy life, as she would have wanted.

However I will say I was not intending this thread to be about me, and I'm a little embarrassed. I just wanted to speak honestly from the perspective of someone who has been through it to hopefully make things better for some of you.

So sorry for your loss, Wade. As a parent to two young children, my wife and I have had the discussion on setting up living wills in case something would happen to the both of us which would have huge ramifications on our boys. We have yet to do it, and a post like this is a good push to take action and stop talking about it. Again, my deepest condolences to you.

We recently completed this process for ourselves, and assisted my mother-in-law in completing all of her paperwork.

This is normally a subject easily avoided, but everyone knows it shouldn't be. Everyone should take the time and plan accordingly.

As a former life insurance salesman (many years ago) I suggest you do the research and figure out what your actual insurance need is. The cost is very affordable when we're young, very expensive when we get older. The younger you are the more insurance you need, the older you get then less you need; the theory of decreasing responsibility. Do the research, figure out your actual need and buy that amount.

Furthermore, I'd advise everyone to take out a large insurance policy on both yourself and your spouse. I know financial advisors will tell you only the primary bread winner needs a big insurance policy, but I promise there are unexpected things. Don't misunderstand me - in no way would a big insurance payment lessen the pain of losing a loved one at all. However, it does ease the life you have to deal with afterward. You and your kids can take a big trip. You can move if you want. You can pay someone else to take care of your yard for a year. It can help with your kids' college tuition. Etc, etc.
Our financial planner recommended a second, shorter-term policy for my spouse, as she'd be considered the primary caretaker for ourkids, with the added policy being intended solely for childcare costs.

These are hard conversations, but agree that they need to be had.

Sorry for your loss Wade.

Thanks for the advise. Very sorry for your loss. Peace to you and your family.

Sorry for your loss. It is great advice, but very hard to hear and something we don't want to think about.

These are important lessons and messages that I often have with my clients. They can be uncomfortable and don't always go well, but can create conversation and changes in the weeks, months and years after those first conversations. And while I think life insurance is most certainly a great piece to a financial plan (for everyone, not just the breadwinner bc everyone has a value and importance even if they aren't bringing in an income), it will very greatly for each situation.

To be clear, I'm talking about term insurance. I always had a large policy on myself that cost like $100 a month. Totally worth it in my view. I did have a much smaller policy on my wife, that I wish had been larger but once she was diagnosed with cancer, it was too late to change it. I don't wish it was larger due to greed and as said, it in no way would have lessened the pain, but it would have cost only a few dollars more and could have made it easier for me to move closer to family if I chose, or pay for college, etc.

It's totally up to everyone and their financial advisor to decide what is best for them in their situation. But what people don't think about is the fact on a Monday you may decide "we need to do that at some point," and then on Tuesday totally out-of-the-blue the opportunity is gone. That's my only point. Decide what you want and execute on it before a surprise happens.

Appreciate the wise words, Wade. When my dad passed unexpectedly last year, my brothers and I were flying blind. We later learned that my father had those sorts of conversations with friends and neighbors, but never with his sons. It would have made things easier for us over the long run, it wouldn't have reduced the pain of losing our dad but it would have made all the legal things and paperwork that came afterwards easier.

Thankfully my step-father and my mother had those conversations, so when he passed a few weeks ago my mom knew what to do. Even in the fog she was in at the time, she knew what immediate decisions to make and how to handle things like life support efforts, burial wishes, etc.

My wife and I have already been having these conversations on and off and they'll continue as we update everything with our lawyer and financial advisor.

To be clear, I'm talking about term insurance. I always had a large policy on myself that cost like $100 a month. Totally worth it in my view. I did have a much smaller policy on my wife, that I wish had been larger but once she was diagnosed with cancer, it was too late to change it. I don't wish it was larger due to greed and as said, it in no way would have lessened the pain, but it would have cost only a few dollars more and could have made it easier for me to move closer to family if I chose, or pay for college, etc.

It's totally up to everyone and their financial advisor to decide what is best for them in their situation. But what people don't think about is the fact on a Monday you may decide "we need to do that at some point," and then on Tuesday totally out-of-the-blue the opportunity is gone. That's my only point. Decide what you want and execute on it before a surprise happens.
Thanks for sharing the wise words and advice, Wade!

We don’t have kids and don’t really “need” life insurance but we get it so we have freedom and flexibility if something happens. Got our first $1M 10-year term policies over 20 years ago for like $300 per year.

I attended the funeral service of a co-worker today. My wife didn't attend, but this evening she brought up some of the same items you mention so I definitely think the service prompted the conversation. Some of these details are already worked out (insurance, living will for example) but others are not. We have work to do. Also plan to have a conversation with my parents to see what they want/expect. Timely subject, thanks!

Great thread. Thanks for taking the time

Advice appreciated. We let our term life expire within the last year as our son is an adult. But might look into getting it again.

Back