ATLGolfer

#ATLClive75
Reaction score
Handicap
This morning I saw a drill to check spine angle alignment. It involves putting a club on your back so the shaft is connected from your shoulder blades to your tail bone. The shaft should touch both points.

I've seen this before, but today was the first time that I've actually tried it. Looking in the mirror, I realized that my shoulders are really slouched over at address. To get the shaft to touch my shoulders and my tail bone, I had to stick my rear end out a lot. It felt weird, but the resulting posture looked pretty good in the mirror. My arms were also hanging down nicely at address.

I'm going to work on this before I hit the range this weekend. I noticed that the muscles in my lower back tightened up a little when I made this posture move, like it wasn't used to bring in that position. Practice and some additional stretching should help.

Has anyone tried the spine angle drill? What were your findings? Did a change in your posture translate to a better swing and/or better contact?

A local pro I saw had me doing that. It gave me back spasms, unfortunately. When I mentioned how uncomfortable I was, she brushed it off. I didn't go back for any more lessons.

YMMV, of course. Just my personal experience with that drill for setup.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I didn't actually do that drill, but I've worked quite a bit to change my posture in a manner similar to what you are describing. More waist bend, knee flex, butt out. Like you, it really fatigued my back at first, but as I've spent more time with it (in addition to exercise specifically for core muscles) it's gotten better.

I looked at posture mostly because the way I was set up seemed to promote the collapse of my trailing leg, and I figured anything I could do to help would benefit the process of kililng that issue.

I've never done that drill, but seeing my swing on camera the other night, I noticed that I stick my butt out quite a bit at address. My instructor highlighted my posture as one of the good things, and I have no idea where I picked this up, but I'll give the drill a go anyway.

I can see how this posture can really get my core and lower body more engaged in the swing. Getting in that position, while awkward feeling, did have my legs and lower torso feel immediately connected.

Like any new movement/position, it will take some work. I use a large exercise ball for core work. I'll try to mix in some lower back work as well to get it better adjusted for the new posture.

It feels like a much more stable position, which is what I'm really going for.

I can see how this posture can really get my core and lower body more engaged in the swing. Getting in that position, while awkward feeling, did have my legs and lower torso feel immediately connected.

Like any new movement/position, it will take some work. I use a large exercise ball for core work. I'll try to mix in some lower back work as well to get it better adjusted for the new posture.

It feels like a much more stable position, which is what I'm really going for.

That's it for me. Makes it a lot easier to maintain knee flex, which is something I've been working nonstop on now for a month. Knee stays flexed, my move away from the ball is easier to avoid, backswing is shorter, etc.

For what it's worth, my ability to hit the center of the face has improved in a huge way, but I've been working on other things at the same time. It all really starts with the ability to keep that knee flex though.

Gary Woodland's setup/posture immediately came to mind.

I've heard of and used this before. There is a little catch 22 with this though. That being, you can set up and have the best posture in the world, but it comes down to your posture at impact. Most of us don't keep the posture we need and round our back at impact. Take a look at a video from down the line, look at your posture at setup, then stop it at impact and check there too. Most armatures will see a difference, and have rounded backs. Keeping my spine angle throughout the swing is one of the things I've been working on in my own swing lately.

Adam Scott used to be poster boy for that posture. He looks more rounded or bent over now. Coincidental with his better play?
Palmer, Nicklaus, Snead, Hogan all appear more slouched. I've tried both and I feel less tension and restriction with less of the flatter spine angle.

Last edited:
Freddie gave me some great tips on getting into a good posture (extend the club straight out, bend over until clubhead rests on the ground, slightly flex knees, push out chest) and it's worked wonders already for me just swinging indoors. It definitely felt different at first, some pressure in my lower back, but nothing at all like what the pro I saw had me doing (and feeling).

I didn't actually do that drill, but I've worked quite a bit to change my posture in a manner similar to what you are describing. More waist bend, knee flex, butt out. Like you, it really fatigued my back at first, but as I've spent more time with it (in addition to exercise specifically for core muscles) it's gotten better. I got more help from Postureg

I looked at posture mostly because the way I was set up seemed to promote the collapse of my trailing leg, and I figured anything I could do to help would benefit the process of kililng that issue.

I also didn't try the spine angle drill. You must maintain the right posture in this case. Trainer can help you.

Last edited:
Back