Project Gone Wrong - Skateboard Meets Divot Tool?

Just_Brad

#GD2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
December last year, after watching a lot of Woby Design on Youtube, I wondered if it was possible. Make a divot tool out of upcycled broken skateboards.

March I finally got in touch with a local skate shot to see if they had broken boards kicking around. Weirdly I have never skateboarded (aside from a plastic bananna board on a gravel road in my youth), just thought the look could be very neat.

We started with breaking the boards down into strips, then gluing them up into chunks.
20230722_193224.jpg
20230722_200636.jpg
20230722_200644.jpg
20230722_200650.jpg

After the glue ups, the chunks got broken down back into veneers (for lack of a better word) about 5/8" thick.

Each sheet/veneer had things drawn out on them, holes drilled, and then cut out on my bare bones little bandsaw. After that, the slot of the tool was cut, connecting the hole dilled previously to what would be the tips.
20230722_200703.jpg
Fast forward through a lot of sanding and contouring on a bench sander, and we got somewhat close to a divot tool shape.
20230722_200707.jpg
20230722_200712.jpg

Here is where we our problem really magnified. While cutting the slots, it became evident there was a bad glue section. No problem right, we can reglue and clamp, which we did. A lot of regluing tips onto these. Almost all in the same spot. I could deal with that.

20230722_200719.jpg
Because of the grain orientation, and I think because the strength of a board itself is in the layers, the way I cut things for the look left this all very fragile.

Your normal divot tool, made of plastic or metal, well is pretty rigid. The wooden one was getting a lot of flex (even before more contouring and shaping). Flex that the glue could handle, but that the actual original layers the board couldnt handle.

I thought a lot about what could be done to strengthen things. Paint it with layers of epoxy? Dip it in resin? Drill a hole in each tine and say insert a nail that would be glued into it. All might work, but to what extent? Slightly stronger maybe. Probably no where close to a desired level.

So this is where I cut the cord. Attempt over. Gutted. Disappointed. But kind of relieved too. There was a lot of time spent on these, but a lot of it was 1 step forward, 2 steps back. A lot of fixes and a lot of rework. The irony in this is that I didnt just cut and shape one piece... noooo. I actually did about 20 of them. A big batch, that used up all the blanks except for the one slab pictured above lol.

The look I still think is really neat. Just not practical for actual use at it stands.

If you cut it out with the laminations oriented 90⁰ the other way the tines would be considerably stronger.

If you cut it out with the laminations oriented 90⁰ the other way the tines would be considerably stronger.
They were considerably stronger, and still broke unfortunately.

Had I done 1 or two, instead of the whole batch, I would definitely have switched to that orientation.
As it sits, I just didn't have enough material to do the number I wanted to if I aligned it that way.

I’m glad I’m not the only one monkeying with this kinda stuff. ;)

They were considerably stronger, and still broke unfortunately.

Had I done 1 or two, instead of the whole batch, I would definitely have switched to that orientation.
As it sits, I just didn't have enough material to do the number I wanted to if I aligned it that way.
Ah man, I’m sorry to hear that. Hope you can get them sorted!

Ah man, I’m sorry to hear that. Hope you can get them sorted!
Ehhh its alright.... its not like they were going to be trinkets for The Grandaddy or anything lol..... oops

Single prong, have the boards running 90 degrees from the original?

Even if they didn’t work, those are freaking awesome looking!

So bummed they didn't work. As a lifelong skater, I love the idea and they look awesome.

Ehhh its alright.... its not like they were going to be trinkets for The Grandaddy or anything lol..... oops
It's too bad they didn't work out, it was a really original idea and they looked cool!

Yeah, I learned years ago on a 3D printed part, that layers in the direction you did are really bad for strength. Makes sense of course, but I had never considered it, until the part broke. Now I know.

Regardless, even if you rotate it so that the grain is going the right direction, I would not think you would be able to get it strong enough to be a useful tool as I think it would still break, unless the tines were really thick, which is counter productive.

Good thought, but as a mechanical designer, I would have told my customer to come back with a different idea! :p

Yeah, I learned years ago on a 3D printed part, that layers in the direction you did are really bad for strength. Makes sense of course, but I had never considered it, until the part broke. Now I know.

Regardless, even if you rotate it so that the grain is going the right direction, I would not think you would be able to get it strong enough to be a useful tool as I think it would still break, unless the tines were really thick, which is counter productive.

Good thought, but as a mechanical designer, I would have told my customer to come back with a different idea! :p
I had a couple that I had cut out of the original material. it only had I believe 5-6 layers. Even then it only took slightly more effort to breal them.

It was a great learning experience. The real lesson to take away next time though.... make 1 piece first before parting out 24 of them.

Great effort, I think you were really onto something unique and promoting re-use. What about plating one side even wrapping around. You could use aluminum, steel, copper, etc. I would think it would strengthen the tool. Keep the ideas flowing.

Great effort, I think you were really onto something unique and promoting re-use. What about plating one side even wrapping around. You could use aluminum, steel, copper, etc. I would think it would strengthen the tool. Keep the ideas flowing.
At one point I thought about turning them into scales, and doing one on each side of a pre-existing tool.
Add the cost of the tool, figure out the best way to attach them, glue/rivet/epoxy.... and then I realized I can't actually get stuff thin enough with my existing tools. It would have been sanding like half of each piece off to do it (instead of just being able to cut it.

I just didn't like how it was going tbh. I desperately wanted the original look to work out.

My dad does a lot of wordworking and I was trying to find a metal prong he could build a handle around but I couldn't find one. I was thinking he could turn something on the lathe for a handle. I have a cool Edel single prong ball repair tool and was thinking it would be cool to make something like that with a wood handle.

If anyone knows where I might be able to buy just the metal prong let me know.

At one point I thought about turning them into scales, and doing one on each side of a pre-existing tool.
Add the cost of the tool, figure out the best way to attach them, glue/rivet/epoxy.... and then I realized I can't actually get stuff thin enough with my existing tools. It would have been sanding like half of each piece off to do it (instead of just being able to cut it.

I just didn't like how it was going tbh. I desperately wanted the original look to work out.

Cool to try. I think you would have to do it longitudinal and then get it really thin. Even then I would be concerned it wouldn't be strong enough.

My dad does a lot of wordworking and I was trying to find a metal prong he could build a handle around but I couldn't find one. I was thinking he could turn something on the lathe for a handle. I have a cool Edel single prong ball repair tool and was thinking it would be cool to make something like that with a wood handle.

If anyone knows where I might be able to buy just the metal prong let me know.

What about a cut nail?
1691957416271.png

Back