Preseason golf workouts?

tjgus25

Reaction score
As the golf season will soon be upon us in the Northeast i was wondering what other people do to get ready before you can actually go outside and play? I wanna be ready to go this year but i havent touched a club since December this year and i usually dont take this much time off.

Stretching...stretching....did I forget to mention....stretching?

Talking to my local pro about this last fall and he said that most amatures never really get the flexibility they need.

I have been hammering the weights all winter. I'll be 45 in June so I don't lift heavy like i used to. I do a whole-body workout now with usually sets of 10 reps to failure on all exercises. About July I will notice my distance suffering as golfing takes centerstage over the weights. Contrary to what many will preach, weightlifting, and the subsequent increase in muscle mass, has never hampered my golfing flexibility. KCM

Im a believer that good overall fitness is good golf fitness. I used to do a lot of heavy weights but now I do more core strength (pushups and a lot of ab workouts), stretching and cardio. Most of my rounds are walking, so for me cardio is really important so that Im not winded trying to walk my first few rounds.
Beyond that, I still go to the driving range all winter long and practice chipping and putting on my living room carpet, so all I do is my regular workout routine. Lately Ive actually been thinking about enrolling in a yoga class to improve my flexibility.
Especially when you live in a place where you cant play golf year-round, you need to find a way to do some kind of practice during the winter months. Otherwise you spend the first month of the season trying to remember how to hit a golf ball again.

i have the P90x yoga video...go through that twice a week for the last two months and it has GREATLY improved my flexibility as well as my core elasticity (?)...i've found i can coil easier and more than i used to, allowing greater swing speed. it's awesome. +1 for yoga.

Back