JohnSinVA

Porkins
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Currently watching the Austrian Open on the Euro Tour, and they are now playing the 18th hole for a 5th time as a tiebreaker. Personally I can’t think of a more lame way to break a tie than replaying the same hole over and over, especially a par 3 (which the hole in this case is).

So, for a “sudden death” style playoff, what’s the best way to break the tie? Selection of random holes? Stroke play starting at the 1st or 10th holes? 9 hole match play?

I think they should have a rotation of various holes. Also, if you put 3 balls in the water on a playoff hole on essentially your 6th consecutive time playing that hole, you are pretty much destined to lose.

When there is a crowd, fans are already gathered around 18, so playing 18 over makes sense.

Rounds are already long enough, do not need to add anymore than 1 hole, even if they have to play it multiple times.

Having made an 8 on his fifth trip to the tee, the loser would agree!

I was wondering too while I was watching if there was a better way to get a winner. I know the crowd is already there and TV crew as well. But on a Par 3 maybe they could change the hole location after each attempt. Wouldnt require much time to accomplish that while there walking back to the tee.

When there is a crowd, fans are already gathered around 18, so playing 18 over makes sense.

Rounds are already long enough, do not need to add anymore than 1 hole, even if they have to play it multiple times.
If you’re on 18 it’s a simple matter to go back to 1 (or perhaps 10). Fans and cameras can beat feet along with the players to watch the extra golf. Plus you actually see a variety of shots that need to be played.

Back