Ping G15 + Aldila RIP ??

jefrazie

Reaction score
Handicap
13.9 OOB
I have been gaming my G15 for a couple months now and can't help but feel like I'm still missing something. When first searching for drivers, I tried out the 910 d3 with the Aldila RIP shaft in it and it felt amazing. Only problem was, I couldn't control it that well. So my crazy thought is, what happens when I put the RIP shaft with the G15 head?

Can anyone chime in on what the differences there would be?

Current shaft: TFC 149D Stiff shaft

Mods, sorry if this isn't in the correct area!

Moved to shaft section.

A shaft and head combo is a great combo IF it fits ones swing.
Is it possible for you to get a fitting done?

Moved to shaft section.

A shaft and head combo is a great combo IF it fits ones swing.
Is it possible for you to get a fitting done?

It is possible, but I haven't found a place that has the G15 + RIP shaft. I don't think it's a very common combo.

What shaft do you have in there now? I am gaming the G-15 with the Aldila Serrano Stiff right now, and TC is doing a review right now, and raving about the Matrix Radix Shaft, so you may want to read that thread too.

What shaft do you have in there now? I am gaming the G-15 with the Aldila Serrano Stiff right now, and TC is doing a review right now, and raving about the Matrix Radix Shaft, so you may want to read that thread too.

I just have the stock TFC shaft in it right now. I demo'd the Serrano shaft and didn't like the feel of it. I'll take a look at the Matrix thread.

It is possible, but I haven't found a place that has the G15 + RIP shaft. I don't think it's a very common combo.

That is the beauty about fitting though. You should go in with NO preconceived notions about what works and go with the best combination available.

That is the beauty about fitting though. You should go in with NO preconceived notions about what works and go with the best combination available.

That's a good point. I may set up a fitting in the next week or so and see what they recommend.

I bought my G-15 with the Serrano Xstiff shaft. After playing a month with the shaft, I went to a fitter as I didn't like the high ball flight due to the light shaft and I had difficulty hitting the thing remotely straight. I wound up putting in the AXIVcore tour green xstiff - brought my ball flight down considerably and started hitting a lot more fairways. I learned more about shafts that day with the fitter, and I will never again by an off the rack club without getting fitted!

I have had a similar experience.

I just got my G15 this March and it has been my best driver to date.

I swung the 910 at GG the other day and it was by far the smoothest driver I have ever tried. Distance off the club was nowhere near what my G15 with the Serrano S 60 gram shaft is.

I would love to hear your results with this combo if you get the chance to try it out.

I had been using the Ping i15 8 degree since last year but I always snapped hooked it (and it wasn't me as I would try my friends Ping G10 and hit it fine) So when we had a demo day with Taylor Made and Ping I was bound to buy an R11. I hit it and got fitted for it and was going to order one until my friend told me to hit the Ping G15 with the RIP shaft in it...Talk about a sweet combination! The G15 is made for forgiveness and the stability in the RIP shaft let me go after it. I love it. It's a major confidence booster when you setup to the ball on the tee box knowing you are going to hit the fairway!

I actually found this exact combination in a custom golf shop on Friday. They had a Ping G15 with the RIP 60 Stiff shaft in it.

I got into the launch monitor with my G15 / Serrano to get a baseline. Average carry / distance was 270/285 down the middle or slightly left with a small draw.

I hit the RIP shaft about 20 times. Over half the shots were pushed to the right. Not so much that I would be in the woods, but definitely close and unpredictable. When I did manage to get them down the middle, the carry / distance was consistently 10 yards shorter than my Serrano.

Backspin with both was 2800 or less. Even when it felt like I absolutely crushed the ball, I was still short of 300 total. There was ONE that went 305 down the middle, but I had to go after it with everything I had, and that was far from the average.

I talked to the fitter about my current driver and why I was interested in this combination. He told me the Serrano / RIP that I was comparing were very similar and that the biggest difference for me would be the torque. He mentioned the torque on on the RIP would fit my aggressive swing a little better and help with accuracy. Not sure why I was leaving so many shots out to the right if that was the case.

I would love to get this driver out on a range.

jefrazie, have you had a chance to test this out yet?

Back