TCB2010

How good do the HMB’s look?!
Reaction score
So I started looking at ping beryllium’s on eBay and it got me thinking what color am I? Through all the years I knew black dot was standard but did not know what thee other colors were. So I google the charts and start reading them. Turns out I’m 6’1 height with 37” wrist to floor, 3 degrees upright, +1/2” in length, white dot. And I just sat there thinking really?? Maybe I need a club fitting... Here are 2 ways you can check yourself pictured below. 0E92C029-5289-4588-A024-9A18F572BF11.jpegA0B9BF15-9451-4675-AB49-8E2F1DE5DD98.jpeg

Definitely need a fitting. That chart might be a good starting point, but you need to be fit dynamically.

I’m 6’1 height with 37” wrist to floor
I'm 6' with the same 37" wrist to floor measurement. We had a Ping rep out for a demo day in February. White dot, 3* upright, but he said I was borderline for +1/2", so he'd only go +1/4" on the length.

I hadn't looked at the chart in a while. That much upright was not what I was expecting.

I've loved the Ping color chart since I was a kid, but it never actually fit me well, statically. I'm 6' and 33 3/4" which is solidly in the black, but I play almost all clubs at least 1 flat. Usually 2. Really depends on the club, and the shaft.

That chart is so ingrained in my mind though that I automatically reach for any club I see red, orange, or brown on. It's almost involuntary.

I game +1/2 white dot too. but my measurements had me at green. it took a dynamic swing test to show I needed another degree upright.

i find the chart gets most guys into the proper zone. for people trying to improve swings, I recommend just getting in the zone. for someone who has found his swing, then I think the dynamic fitting best. I've seen guys get dynamically fitted into silly length and lie clubs because they were setup poorly. The fitting perfectly cemented a poor setup.

For my G15s, the Golf Galaxy guy fit me into maroon dot based on strike pattern off their strike board. He said he didn’t fit too many maroon dots. In other fittings since I have always needed upright, 2* the past 2 times.

Ping revises it’s chart from year to year, so make sure you are using the right one. I’m right on the Blue and green divide but up 1/2”. Most days I agree with that fitting

I did Ping demo days for a long time. There are two bases during a fitting, static and dynamic. Static is when we take your height, wrist to floor and hand measurements etc. Dynamic is when we measure what you're doing during the swing. The chart is good for a starting point, but rarely ever ends with the same result. Below is an example of how static measurement doesn't finalize it.

Player 1: Static chart shows they are in a red dot (1* flat) and standard length. Player is handed the club, makes a few swings and we are seeing the ball start right of target on basically every shot. Player prefers to hit a fade, so we starting right and moving slightly further right. In order to help get that starting point more on line or even left of target, I would give the golfer a club that is more upright. Player ends up in a standard length Blue dot (just an example) to give them a shot shape they are happy with without sacrificing strike.

If strike and shot shape are not being compromised, it's ok to have the toe up or down dynamically. Another reason why lie boards are not good fitting tools and should be avoided (just needed to add that).

I always thought I needed fiat lies cause I’m only 5’ 4” but I also have short arms. Flat lies never looked right to me. Even black dot looked too flat. According to the chart I need -1/2” and borderline 1-2* upright. Currently I play my irons std and 2*up and like them alot

Back