Ping Anser shaft pull, Look out for what may be lurking inside the shaft tip

uman

Oldest guy in the room
Reaction score
Handicap
back srg'y
So today I got the real deal Aldila rip 50 that was a pull from a ping anser driver, thought $41 was a good deal and it even had a brand new ping grip on it. It is going to be used in my razr fit tour authentic as an option to the project x shaft, on those isolated rare days that this senior citizen operator is a little bit weak and achy and needs to pick up some swing speed without forcing things.
When I INSTALLED A RAZR FIT sleeve on the shaft it was apparent that I was getting a vacuum as the sleeve would slide away from the ferrule. Glad I NEVER USE QUICK CURE EPOXY, use the 12 hour plus stuff. With my grip remover then slid the grip off and removed tape from the top of the shaft but. Sleeve still sliding away from ferrule, vacuum issue still there.
Next I pulled the adapter off and with an ice pick searched inside the shaft tip, didn't detect any foreign material at first but then I FELT SOMETHING and with a little effort was able to wedge it out with an ice pick. It was a teeny piece of rubber shaped like a cone flat on the bottom. Lucky to even find it. Trashed whatever that was, maybe it was a Ping remedy to avoid any risk getting any epoxy flakes sliding around in the shaft??/

Problem solved put sleeve back on, sleeve no longer sliding away from ferrule. Maybe this will help if someone runs across similar problems

Should have sold it! Those are great to have around for adjusting swing weight.

This is sad but this is why I will spend the $15 to have a sleeve installed. I dont think I would have figured it out like you did. I want to learn but dont have the time and tools. One day, I will get fed up paying some else. Good job on the install :thumbup:

***aka AtChad***

Should have sold it! Those are great to have around for adjusting swing weight.

I can retrieve the teeny rubber cone if need be, but it weighs virtually nothing and would not even register on a scale.

This is sad but this is why I will spend the $15 to have a sleeve installed. I dont think I would have figured it out like you did. I want to learn but dont have the time and tools. One day, I will get fed up paying some else. Good job on the install :thumbup:

***aka AtChad***

Wow just saw out of the corner of my eye that you are bagging an eye two berrylium copper #5. Played those for about 5 years. Last summer for kicks I saw a guy at the range with the eye two be co pings and he let me hit them. They still work great and go same distance as the newer stuff.

Wow just saw out of the corner of my eye that you are bagging an eye two berrylium copper #5. Played those for about 5 years. Last summer for kicks I saw a guy at the range with the eye two be co pings and he let me hit them. They still work great and go same distance as the newer stuff.

I still have the whole set including 1i and 2i originally from '87. I started using them in '91 in HS. Hard to believe I used to hit the 2i of the fairway and 1i on the tee. Ah the memories. I remember flushing the 2i 225yd on hole 2 at course 2 of Medinah. Nice draw, hit the green, and spun hard right to 6ft of the cup. I believe I eagled that hole. Man hard to believe it was that long ago. So yeah, I am currently gaming the 5i. Still has good distance and forgiveness I need.

***aka AtChad***

I still have the whole set including 1i and 2i originally from '87. I started using them in '91 in HS. Hard to believe I used to hit the 2i of the fairway and 1i on the tee. Ah the memories. I remember flushing the 2i 225yd on hole 2 at course 2 of Medinah. Nice draw, hit the green, and spun hard right to 6ft of the cup. I believe I eagled that hole. Man hard to believe it was that long ago. So yeah, I am currently gaming the 5i. Still has good distance and forgiveness I need.

Last summer I traded clubs with a buddy. My callaway x 18's plus $100 for his original Ping Raptures. I thought the rapture looked a little big and offsetty, and did not think my callaway fusions would come out of the bag. I was wrong on that rapture 4-pw are awesome, not interested in any iron change. Only negative is the Ping irons are difficult to bend and if you get the slightest bit aggressive big risk of snapping hosel.

***aka AtChad***

Pretty neat, I CAN RELATE TO THOSE SAME MEMORIES. Last summer a buddy told me he was going to sell his original ping raptures. I was mainly bagging callaway fusion irons. Couple of weeks later on a whim I traded my callaway x 18's plus $100 for his 4-pw raptures. I didn't even look at them or hit them, just felt it would be fun to hit some pings again, had no thought of bagging them. Played a round a few days later and bagged them for the fun of it. I was not expecting much since I had never hit them, big time wrong on that. Every iron shot was solid, high and deep and around pin high. For all intents and purposes I felt like I hit every green since the few misses where either on the fringe or a couple feet off the fringe on the side of the green where the flag was located. Hard to believe but I have not even hit the fusions, not even once since the raptures were thrown my way. And that 4 iron is long even for a senior citizen operator.

I can retrieve the teeny rubber cone if need be, but it weighs virtually nothing and would not even register on a scale.

Right, it isn't the cone itself that provides the weight, it is used to cap the lead powder you pour in to add weight. Basically just a plug. Not really worth anything, but handy to have around.

So today I got the real deal Aldila rip 50 that was a pull from a ping anser driver, thought $41 was a good deal and it even had a brand new ping grip on it. It is going to be used in my razr fit tour authentic as an option to the project x shaft, on those isolated rare days that this senior citizen operator is a little bit weak and achy and needs to pick up some swing speed without forcing things.
When I INSTALLED A RAZR FIT sleeve on the shaft it was apparent that I was getting a vacuum as the sleeve would slide away from the ferrule. Glad I NEVER USE QUICK CURE EPOXY, use the 12 hour plus stuff. With my grip remover then slid the grip off and removed tape from the top of the shaft but. Sleeve still sliding away from ferrule, vacuum issue still there.
Next I pulled the adapter off and with an ice pick searched inside the shaft tip, didn't detect any foreign material at first but then I FELT SOMETHING and with a little effort was able to wedge it out with an ice pick. It was a teeny piece of rubber shaped like a cone flat on the bottom. Lucky to even find it. Trashed whatever that was, maybe it was a Ping remedy to avoid any risk getting any epoxy flakes sliding around in the shaft??/

Problem solved put sleeve back on, sleeve no longer sliding away from ferrule. Maybe this will help if someone runs across similar problems

Good stuff right there uman and thank you for the information, it may just come in handy...

Right, it isn't the cone itself that provides the weight, it is used to cap the lead powder you pour in to add weight. Basically just a plug. Not really worth anything, but handy to have around.

Got it, back in the day used small corks and a ram rod for that. New twist on same thing

Good stuff right there uman and thank you for the information, it may just come in handy...

I deviated from my typical best practices. When dealing with a pulled shaft the best thing to do is hold the tip end up to light and look thru but end for any blockage. In this case a nice new ping grip was on the shaft so that practice would have required work. I really should have inserted that ice pick up the tip before I started the job but in these days of adapters and the fact that the shaft was pulled from an anser adapter why would I even suspect tip blockage.
The good news is "Mr Woos Wigs" Fourwiggle the temp was around 50 today and since I was having an anxiety attack I had no choice than to see what that shaft would bring to the party in my Fit TA. Hit 30 balls with the new Ta setup, can safely say It is now almost a dead heat between my 8.5 Supertri with a Miyazaki and the Fit TA. Still early, hit both great at range, but was seeing little bit extra with the fit TA.

Can't keep up with your tee balls at this point in time but they are out there pretty damn good.

I deviated from my typical best practices. When dealing with a pulled shaft the best thing to do is hold the tip end up to light and look thru but end for any blockage. In this case a nice new ping grip was on the shaft so that practice would have required work. I really should have inserted that ice pick up the tip before I started the job but in these days of adapters and the fact that the shaft was pulled from an anser adapter why would I even suspect tip blockage.
The good news is "Mr Woos Wigs" Fourwiggle the temp was around 50 today and since I was having an anxiety attack I had no choice than to see what that shaft would bring to the party in my Fit TA. Hit 30 balls with the new Ta setup, can safely say It is now almost a dead heat between my 8.5 Supertri with a Miyazaki and the Fit TA. Still early, hit both great at range, but was seeing little bit extra with the fit TA.

Can't keep up with your tee balls at this point in time but they are out there pretty damn good.

:laughing:

In my defense, some us have to work as well!!! :D Glad you're getting along with the new stick. How did the Aldila spin for you?

I promise I'll have a review up after Sunday afternoon. I'm dying to hit some outside, I've been cooped-up since November!!! Just put a new grip on the Diamana shaft (the main reason for my trip to GolfSmith yesterday) and cut it to a playing length of 45.25". So both the PXV 6.5 and the 'ahina are the same length and the Ping Anser is 45.25" as well. Sunday is gonna be fun!! Both heads are 10.5* too, just in case anyone is wondering...

:laughing:

In my defense, some us have to work as well!!! :D Glad you're getting along with the new stick. How did the Aldila spin for you?

I promise I'll have a review up after Sunday afternoon. I'm dying to hit some outside, I've been cooped-up since November!!! Just put a new grip on the Diamana shaft (the main reason for my trip to GolfSmith yesterday) and cut it to a playing length of 45.25". So both the PXV 6.5 and the 'ahina are the same length and the Ping Anser is 45.25" as well. Sunday is gonna be fun!! Both heads are 10.5* too, just in case anyone is wondering...

Work!! age comes with benefits, only went to office twice this week. Good to hear your drivers are matched up and ready to go. Hoping that Xhot pro works out for you, will read your reports.

Funny thing is I have never thought that much of Aldila, and took a risk . The spin was fine, have no idea what it is but the carry was really good considering 48 degree and range balls. I had it set on closed , never do that, heavy weight in heel. From what I saw no need to change, but will try the other settings and heavy weight on toe to see what that gives me.

News Flash!

Triple Booyah, just found out this Friday evening that lucky me just won 2 rocketballz stage 2 (IER) fairways, how could that be I am never lucky at that random stuff. 15 degree and 19 degree heading my way. Stoked

Last edited:
Congrats on winning the raffle

***aka AtChad***

A best practice I have been doing for years is to use and air compressor to blow the shaft clean after I pull the head or the adapter. I have found numerous things in shafts over the years.

Congrats on winning the raffle

***aka AtChad***

Thank you!!

A best practice I have been doing for years is to use and air compressor to blow the shaft clean after I pull the head or the adapter. I have found numerous things in shafts over the years.

Good advice, always remove the grip and clear everything (check twice, install once). Leave no stone unturned!!

Thank you!!

Good advice, always remove the grip and clear everything (check twice, install once). Leave no stone unturned!!

Wigs, What did you win??? Told you a few posts below about the two " #IERS" FAIRWAYS giveaway that I won last night, did you win as well.

Good tip there

Back