Pensacola/SE Alabama golf

Paladin

Otter be golfing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi, everyone! So I'm getting ready to move for Pensacola next month and I'll be there for about 6 months. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to play golf, and I've heard good things about the course on Pensacola NAS, but does anyone know any other must-play courses or places to avoid?

Also, THPers in the area, would love to tee it up with you guys!

I feel terrible for you. I have been in Pensacola in the summer and it's just about the worst place on earth.

Hi, everyone! So I'm getting ready to move for Pensacola next month and I'll be there for about 6 months. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to play golf, and I've heard good things about the course on Pensacola NAS, but does anyone know any other must-play courses or places to avoid?

Also, THPers in the area, would love to tee it up with you guys!

Lived in Pcola for about 5 years. All prior to my golf addiction. So basically I can't help you. It is the armpit of Americ thoa, so be forwarned

i think v.man is in pcola. and grizbear isn't too far away in florala.

Lived in Pcola for about 5 years. All prior to my golf addiction. So basically I can't help you. It is the armpit of Americ thoa, so be forwarned

I've seen Yuma, El Paso, and Columbus, Georgia in August. I think I've seen most of America's buttholes already. Pensacola is probably still a step up from Sierra Vista, AZ.

There are many worse places to be stationed than Pensacola. I'm up there a couple times a year so hope we can play while you there. As previously mentioned Vman is just outside Pensacola and is a member of a nice course. I've heard great things about Pensacola CC, but it is fairly private.

I've seen Yuma, El Paso, and Columbus, Georgia in August. I think I've seen most of America's buttholes already. Pensacola is probably still a step up from Sierra Vista, AZ.

Weather wise I will take Sierra Vista, AZ. Amenities, you are getting an upgrade.

So glad people think my town is such an arm pit, haha. Really, I've been here only two years, but, I don't find it bad at all. A little small town-ish compared to, say, Atlanta, but, that's not a bad thing.

Not too many THPers in the area, Steven, but, you will find ample golf courses. What's great is that Pensacola has Navarre and Destin very close to the East, and Gulf Shores close to the West. Here, NAS is very good, I've heard. I haven't played it, yet, however. I belong to Stonebrook, Marcus Pointe, and Tanglewood. We also have Lost Key, Cypress Lakes, Scenic Hills, Tiger Point, and a few more. Navarre has Hidden Creek (nice). Gulf Shores has a bunch--Craft Farms (very nice), GlenLakes and Gulf Shores GC being among the best. Destin has too many to name. It's almost a mini-Myrtle Beach, with some very fine upscale courses. Really, if you're here for only 6 months, you'll have more to choose from than you'll have time to play.

I'm guessing you're coming for a program or something at NAS. From what I've heard, you will really like their course. Bottom line is that Pensacola is very much a military town and, as such, the military is very appreciated here. I think you'll enjoy your stay.

Hit me up when you get here and we'll get in a round or so. We never got to play together at the Morgan Cup.

After the buttholes, the armpit has gotta be a step up! Brunch at crabs on the beach.... Do it.

I'm from Mobile (one hour west of Pensacola), but don't remember ever over there to play. There are several good courses in Baldwin County (Timber Creek, Rock Creek, Kiva Dunes, Craft Farms). Plus you have the RTJ trail in Mobile. I've heard great things about Lost Key, but never played it.

I'll reach out to you if I find myself down there in the next few months.

I don't see why people are knocking Pensacola - you're right there by some of the best beaches in the country (if you like white sand and warm water). Honestly I see myself moving to the FL panhandle when I retire.

Haha, my buddy just moved there a year or so ago. I've never been, but I'll be happy to let him know what a garbage town he's living in. :D

Dated info warning. There was a 5 year period where I spent a great deal of my time TDY doing R&D flight testing in that region of FL (and also several trips to Ft Huachuca). Golf was ALWAYS involved. I'm assuming you often play at Mountain View now? We liked it, especially in the winter (my home base was in Dayton OH then). But if things are still relative, you are going to absolutely love the golf where you are headed. You've got all the awesome resort courses in Destin and RTJ Trail near by. (FWIW we'd sometimes drive versus fly down and rent a car for these TDYs just to catch RTJ Trail courses inroute). Even all the military courses you'll have very close and cheap access to are going to be a good change of pace. IMO they all definitely blew MV out of the water back then and that's not a knock on Mountain View. If still the same there were 27 challenging holes at AC Read at the NAS, 2 distinctively different and tough 18s just down the road at Eglin AFB (Eagle and Falcon) and a decent 18 holer in between at Hurlburt field (Gator Lakes - many of the greens complexes set up like Sawgrass with timber bordered water carries). I agree with Ken in that if you are just there 6 months you'll run out of time before you run out of golf. I averaged just about 100 days/year for 5 years TDY to Eglin and there were still courses I never played.

Last edited:
Dated info warning. There was a 5 year period where I spent a great deal of my time TDY doing R&D flight testing in that region of FL (and also several trips to Ft Huachuca). Golf was ALWAYS involved. I'm assuming you often play at Mountain View now? We liked it, especially in the winter (my home base was in Dayton OH then). But if things are still relative, you are going to absolutely love the golf where you are headed. You've got all the awesome resort courses in Destin and RTJ Trail near by. (FWIW we'd sometimes drive versus fly down and rent a car for these TDYs just to catch RTJ Trail courses inroute). Even all the military courses you'll have very close and cheap access to are going to be a good change of pace. IMO they all definitely blew MV out of the water back then and that's not a knock on Mountain View. If still the same there were 27 challenging holes at AC Read at the NAS, 2 distinctively different and tough 18s just down the road at Eglin AFB (Eagle and Falcon) and a decent 18 holer in between at Hurlburt field (Gator Lakes - many of the greens complexes set up like Sawgrass with timber bordered water carries). I agree with Ken in that if you are just there 6 months you'll run out of time before you run out of golf. I averaged just about 100 days/year for 5 years TDY to Eglin and there were still courses I never played.

That's what I like to hear, and I'm sad to say Mountain View is now something of a goat track. They did open up a great course up in Benson, but in terms of roll out of your rack and you're on the course goodness, Mountain View survives by location.

Hidden Creek in Navarre is a very nice course.
I played Tiger Point, many years ago. Fun, but probably not in the best condition.
Pensacola CC is pretty solid, try to get on there.

I defer to v.man.

I'm in Tallahassee, so I don't know much about Pensacola golf courses, but I can tell you that if you don't mind driving a couple hours east/northeast you'd be wise to hit up the Bay Point Nicklaus course in Panama City Beach, as well as Windswept Dunes not far from there. And I'd recommend making the drive to Dothan, AL and playing the three nines of the RTJ Golf Trail there at Highland Oaks. All of these courses are usually in fantastic shape and are as challenging a round of golf as you'll find. Highland Oaks specifically had some of the most undulating greens I've ever played. I three putted a lot there to say the least.

I think why people are calling Pensacola (and by extension the Florida Panhandle) an armpit is the summer weather in the area is some of the most humid/muggy and unforgiving heat you'll find. It is often over 100 degrees with 80% humidity, and usually not much of a breeze to soften the blow. You'll definitely need to ride in a cart if you are playing 18 in the summer here. Even with that, you'll be sweating your arse off.

P'Cola was my last duty station. Two courses mainside. AC Reid is a very good track. The other is mostly good for practice and such. RTJ in Mobile is great and vman is in Pensacola so it's tops in my book!

So I've been in Pensacola area for about a month, getting settled in. I played Osceola Muni a couple weeks ago and really liked it. It's a very nice track, but I played it as part of a scramble, so it's tough to determine how I would play some of the holes when I'm actually trying to do some course management. Tomorrow I'm playing AC Read, well, 18 holes of the 27 it boasts. I'm pretty excited, as I've heard some nice things.

I'm living a stone's throw away from Lost Key, but sadly, I can scarce afford to look at that course, let alone play it before 3pm.

Enjoy AC Steve! Take some pics for me I miss it. Oh and stay left on #1 on the big course. You can thank me later :D

Have fun man.

JM

I went to college in Pensacola. That was a long time ago so I couldn't even venture a guess at what courses I played while living there. I may have lost a few brain cells while at UWF as well.

Enjoy AC Steve! Take some pics for me I miss it. Oh and stay left on #1 on the big course. You can thank me later :D

Have fun man.

JM

It's now three separate nines that they mix up on any given day. Played 18 Thursday, and while my score was really bad and I struggled off the tee, I must say it's a gorgeous setup. Greens are taking some getting used to. I'll try to get out next weekend and I'll get some photos. Loving the golf out here so far. V-Man might need getting called out once my schedule settles down a bit!

Playing Scenic Hills tomorrow. It hosted the women's US Open back in the late 60's. I'm pretty excited for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm getting down to my last few weeks here in Pensacola (time flies!) and I'm trying to put something together for January 20th at Lost Key in Pensacola. If anyone's interested, let me know and we'll set something up.

Back