Papago Golf Course - Phoenix AZ

RedlyneTheory

Erock Army
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX1.0003
Anyone ever play Papago? The layout looks great from satellite images. I have not played the course yet, and am pumped to play it on Monday.

I beilieve I did around 15 years ago. I know I have a logo ball from there.

I beilieve I did around 15 years ago. I know I have a logo ball from there.

Awesome man. I think they completely redid the course around 2008 from my understanding. I could be wrong though.

I played it back when I was in junior golf, it was a long time ago though

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

So I finally played Papago today, and snapped a few photos with my phone to share with the forum along with the small review. The green fees were only $22, and included a cart. I arrived a little bit late (the GPS on my phone led me to the wrong entrance), so I did not get a chance to use the practice green or range, but the view behind the range was nice. In this photo the range is in the background and the practice green is just to the right of the cart path.

6.jpg

The carts looked pretty new, and were nice. They included a GPS system that are supposed to tell you the yardage to the back, front and center of the green, as well as shut the cart off when you got too close to the green or went into the desert landscaped areas- but ours was non functional. They are not the nice overhead GPS systems with color images and fairway/green views like at some other courses, but rather it was a 3-4” b/w LCD screen in the console of the cart, so it was not disappointing that it did not work. I snapped a photo of the Papago logo on the front of the cart; I thought they have an design.

1.jpg

This course was freaking long (at least compared to other AZ courses I have played). The yardages were: Black-7333, Blue-6771, White-6382, Green-5777, Gold- 5404. My buddy and I decided to play from the blue tees, and in hindsight we should have played the white. The course has four par 3s, ten par 4s, and four par 5s. The par 3s were very long at 208yds, 206yds, 158yds (over water) and 232yds. Below a few pictures from the tee and green of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] hole (par 3- 232yds).

7.jpg

8.jpg

Overall the course was in great shape. It was freshly mowed and had almost no brown spots. The greens were softer than most others that I have played on in the area, and the ball rolled nice on them. All of the bunkers that I came into contact with were well groomed and were very soft (a major plus to me, nothing frustrates me more than a hard packed bunker). The course was pretty flat and did not have a lot of elevation changes or hills that I have grown to like seeing in a course. I have played ASU Karsten for the past three weeks, so the lack of terraforming at Papago was a letdown.

5.jpg

3.jpg

One thing that was interesting about Papago is that it is next to a military facility, so a Blackhawk was cruising around the area for awhile during our round and it looked pretty sweet. The picture below was taken when the Blackhawk was going in to land, and you can see it flying in the picture above. Overall it was a good experience, but with all that the Phoenix Metropolitan area has to offer with golf I’m not sure if I will go back any time soon.

4.jpg

Back