Packing For a Trip with Weather Changes

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Been thinking about this today as I pack up for the next THP Experience.
The weather is all over the place. From cold in the mornings, to good weather in the afternoons, but its windy. And oh yeah chance of rain in spots.

Are you an overpacker? Do you bring enough? What gets cut based on room in the suitcase?

I'm probably a bit of an overpacker as I want to make sure I have what might be needed. I'd probably do one less Qzip and bring my rain jacket as it's light and would also be good with cold and cutting the wind some.

Based on what I wore during the Morgan Cup vs others, I am definitely an under packer. Typically just a 1/4 zip in addition to my golf shorts and shirts. If there is a chance of rain I’ll pack a rain jacket as well.

I'm an overpacker. For the Srixon Experience, I packed 2 golf outfits per day plus long sleeves and pants for each day. I had rain gear and a beanie packed in case it suddenly got cold despite the weather forecast being perfect. I also brought a large suitcase and checked it.

I always overpack, but I prefer to be prepared for anything. At the Morgan Cup, I had extra shorts, shirts, pullovers, a base layer (which came in clutch that last day), and rain gear. I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I'm the opposite- I'm an underpacker and will look locally to find something if I need it.

Regardless if it is for golf or other activities I am an overpacker. My thought process is I’d rather have it than need it.

Having never had to pack for an actual golf trip, let alone a golf experience, and realising I was stupid when I bought my flight on the wrong credit card and don't have the free bag, I may be screwed.

But I'm sure first weekend of May in VA is fine for weather 😬

Hmm this reminds me I need to buy a bigger suitcase. I'm typically a minimal packer I only bring whats necessary and feel like If I need something I'll just buy it. Not ideal but thats how it goes sometimes.

I’m typically an underpacker, but golf trip, I err a touch on the overpack side. Don’t want to be without a layer, rain gear or something like that which could make the trip less enjoyable.

I try to travel with the mindset of of “what else can I do without”. And still overpack. Lol

I will say. I hardly ever play in the rain. Honestly can’t remember the last time I did. But, unless the temps were chilly or the rain is heavy. I am going without rain gear.

Definitely and overpacker, will pack for all scenarios that may happen. Usually end up only using some of what I packed. Really dependent on what gets cut depending on the weather. Like I will cut out packing shorts if pants will do and not be uncomfortable. Also may pack less polos or quarter zips if going on a trip as will probably purchase some and can wear. Will try to leave behind and extra pair of shoes and some hats that take up space if running low on them.

When I pack for a THP golf trip, I'll add a couple of extra outfits because I can't seem to not get dirty and, if it's warm or more, I sweat like a pig. For a beach trip, I pack minimally because we usually stay in condos or houses with a w/d.

I like to bring as little as possible. I’ll bring a pair of pants and a quarter zip just to be safe but generally shorts with just a quarter zip works. I do carry a rain jacket in my bag as well

I am a over packer in situations like you just described. Better to have too much than not enough.
What gets cut is stuff I can buy there. Toiletries and such.

Overpacker. Enough golf shirts & shorts & light waterproof jacket is all I need. It's never cold for me, so no need for pants. Just enough shirts that I can change into after I sweat thru them all. ;)

Well if you are taking your own clubs, there always plent of room for jackets / rain gear etc.

Typically ill pack a little more than others. But its alllllll based on the weather. Shorts? Pants? How long am i playing for? When....am/pm? Typically several polos. A hoodie. A vest that doubles as a wind breaker. Rani gear will be in the golf bag travel cover along with another jacket. If i need or want more than that.....ill just buy it or will plan on packing one or two less items if it is a place I was planning on buying something from anyways.

Been thinking about this today as I pack up for the next THP Experience.
The weather is all over the place. From cold in the mornings, to good weather in the afternoons, but its windy. And oh yeah chance of rain in spots.

Are you an overpacker? Do you bring enough? What gets cut based on room in the suitcase?
It is an interesting trip to pack for that’s for sure!

I’m going to lean to the over packer side. Always have rain gear in golf bag when traveling. With big swings in daytime temps I might opt for pant in place of shorts. If there is chance of rain I’m packing 2 pair of shoes. Need 1 Qzip minimum and then extra outfit for evening meal and other activities. With all this in mind I’m on the over pack side for sure.

I'm a minimalist generally when I pack. Thankfully I run hot, so a raincoat and pants along with a heavier quarter zip and I'm good to go for pretty much any conditions. The rainpsnts are even unnecessary unless it gets really cold.

Options … always ,
Which means , pack more than minimal , have contingencies… if there is space in the case .

And what’s even worse , l lay my clothes out the night before for golf lol …. 😝

I'm probably an overpacker and then end up not using most of it. But I have a "if you don't bring it you'll need it mentality." And I always forget one thing and it ends up being the only thing I "need" so maybe I should just start packing lighter.

We've been up north to Utah a couple times this winter. At most, we will pack our warmer jackets. If the jackets are not enough, there's always a Walmart near by for something warmer.

For us it really depends on the length of the trip. If we are going to gone more than a couple of weeks, we pack more.

Me personally, I going on 15 months, wearing nothing but shorts. No long pants have been needed.

I overpack, but am trying to change. When facing multiple conditions, I usually try to bring layers so I can be flexible. Worst care, I get something at the pro shop.

Back