Overnight or Weekend Backpacking

Daluteh

Touring Purple - 2024 Bag Boy Championship
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I only saw a thread from 2017 here. I have not done any overnight hikes for years, I have done and will continue to do a lot of day hikes with the family but I'm really wanting to do an overnight or two in 2023.

Does anyone else here do and backpacking or anything of the sort?

When did you start, what makes you want to get out more?

Am I by chance hiking past a holiday inn? That’s the only chance it’s going to be an overnight hike for me :ROFLMAO:

I do enjoy hiking and getting out in nature a bit. Just not overnight

The Superior Hiking Trail is amazing.

We get the scouts out, and I'm usually one of the adults that goes camping with them.

I Do a lot of day hikes. This year we are planning on doing a overnight trip. Our 7 year old is very excited but nervous.

We hike in many state parks but I'm not overnight hiking. I was in the Air Force, camping for me is at a holiday inn express ;)

Used to do quite a bit and backpack hunt. Not so much anymore, probably need to unload some gear.

I used to when i lived in Central Virginia. The Appellation trail was close by depending on where you live, or within a 20 minute drive for me. I day hiked a lot and did a few 2-3 days tretches. That was mid to late 90's. I still have a dream to walk the trail and the wife is behind me. I retire in about 18 mos.

All the time when I lived in Wyoming and Montana. Now with the family I am a car camper :(

Love hiking and backpacking. Wife doesn't enjoy sleeping on the ground, so generally backpacking with the kids and hiking with my wife.

We do plenty of hiking with the dogs. Have never done any overnight hikes but would love to try it someday.

The wife and I were pretty serious backpackers for years. We did week long trips in the deep backcountry of Idaho, the Teton Crest Trail and in Wyoming/YNP. Weekend type trips were all over the PNW. Great times...not sure my body would hold up these days to do it much anymore.

Day hiking for me. I like to go in the Adirondacks.

I was just joking during lunch that I bought a new headlamp so now I'm committed to go on at least one this summer.

I was just joking during lunch that I bought a new headlamp so now I'm committed to go on at least one this summer.
Let me know if you need any gear. I've got tons of stuff for scouts you can borrow

I started over night hikes while in highschool. Gradually made those into longer, multi day hikes. We were living in Cannon Beach Oregon, and I had miles of beach, and 10s of 1000s acres of Crown Zellerbach back country to hike around in. Just me, a fishing pole, and my two dogs.

I hiked a lot in the military. Not really normal for a Navy dude, but that's the duty I was given.

Fast forward to young married life. My wife and I hit all the western states hot spots. Grand Canyon, Brice, Yellowstone, Glacier, Zion, Yosemite, Olympic NP Hurricane Ridge, and several more. These were mostly multi day hikes. (5+/- days)

Once our Daughters arrived, we still hiked, but they were shorter. It was a family affair.

These days, up until Covid hit, I did a lot of day hikes. I had acres, and acres of desert, and mountains to roam around in. I plan on starting these day hikes up again in a couple of months.

We still have our "Sherpa Packs", but they now carry clothes for our road trips.

Last edited:
When did you start, what makes you want to get out more?

More seriously, for me the biggest incentive for extended hikes with overnights was being able to access places with less people and views/experiences you can't get on day hikes. When we lived near the High Peaks area of the Adirondacks in NY, this was really the only way to do the better routes and summits.

And as mentioned by @goalie the Superior Hiking Trail is a great one (though rough), especially the sections north of Two Harbors.

Everywhere nearby me now is accessible by day hike trails, so the packs and cooking gear are gathering dust.

I used to do a lot before kids, certainly less so these days. Got started super young with my mom and grandma, then in college with buddies. The Sierras are just too close not to explore!

Looking forward to my son getting older and eventually taking him with me. I still plan to do the John Muir Trail one day and hopefully he will be with me on that walk.

Back