Orlando Course Selection for Early December Trip

BuffInTheWild

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Will be coming to the Orlando area with my son for a golf tournament on the 5th and 6th at Orange County National (Panther Lakes). Coming from the New England area we are going to take advantage and look to play Wednesday through Friday and again on Monday. Lots of great threads and great advice, wondering what the community thinks of the following lineup and if you would make any changes:

Wednesday the 2nd, arrive PM and most likely practice at OCN. Could potentially look for 9 at Winter Park if it is worth it?
Thursday the 3rd, 36 holes at orange county national, crooked cat in the a.m., Panther Lake as a practice round in the p.m. Only concern, crooked cat is cartpath only due to over seeding, would it be worth looking for a different course for the morning round?
Friday the 4th, Shingle Creek
Saturday the 5th, my Son will play round one at OCN, A friend and myself at Grand Cypress New. Have played here before and really enjoyed it, just a bit concerned with the discussion around construction and if that impacts the course at all?
Sunday the 6th, following my Son for the final round.
Monday the 7th, we will be flying out around 3 PM, so was attempting to get a time at Bay hill but unfortunately they don’t have anything until very late morning. Am open for suggestions here, right now was thinking about booking Champions Gate international or Celebration.

Would anyone recommend any replacements for either Saturday or Mondays round? Was potentially looking at falcons fire as well, definitely open to suggestions.

Will be coming to the Orlando area with my son for a golf tournament on the 5th and 6th at Orange County National (Panther Lakes). Coming from the New England area we are going to take advantage and look to play Wednesday through Friday and again on Monday. Lots of great threads and great advice, wondering what the community thinks of the following lineup and if you would make any changes:

Wednesday the 2nd, arrive PM and most likely practice at OCN. Could potentially look for 9 at Winter Park if it is worth it?
Thursday the 3rd, 36 holes at orange county national, crooked cat in the a.m., Panther Lake as a practice round in the p.m. Only concern, crooked cat is cartpath only due to over seeding, would it be worth looking for a different course for the morning round?
Friday the 4th, Shingle Creek
Saturday the 5th, my Son will play round one at OCN, A friend and myself at Grand Cypress New. Have played here before and really enjoyed it, just a bit concerned with the discussion around construction and if that impacts the course at all?
Sunday the 6th, following my Son for the final round.
Monday the 7th, we will be flying out around 3 PM, so was attempting to get a time at Bay hill but unfortunately they don’t have anything until very late morning. Am open for suggestions here, right now was thinking about booking Champions Gate international or Celebration.

Would anyone recommend any replacements for either Saturday or Mondays round? Was potentially looking at falcons fire as well, definitely open to suggestions.
Not sure how I missed this but hope all went well. How did your son play? Where did you end up playing? How was the New at Grand Cypress? I use to go there every winter with a group of work buds.

No worries, it was a good trip and we got a lot of golf in which was one of the main objectives. Son played ok, finished 36th out of 90 shooting 79,78, four doubles throughout the weekend really took it's toll.

Here is the recap:

Wednesday - arrived early and was able to get 15 holes in Orange County National Panther Lake. Although it was a bit cool, really enjoyed the course! First picture is photo of my Son on 14.

Thursday - back at OCN for 36. Crooked Cat was first and was cart path only due to being over seeded only 2 weeks back. Condition was no where as good as Panther Lake - the back nine (12 and 13 were great) made up for the front, but we were really longing to get back to Panther Lake, both for condition and for the layout. The PM didn't disappoint, despite going off at 1:57, we were able to get a full 18 despite finishing in the dark.

Friday - 36 holes at Waldorf Golf Club. Very impressed and a somewhat tough course with bunkers and water on most holes that forced you to really focus off the tee. Great condition, great greens, which lead to a great day. Second Photo is my Son after driving 13 which is short par 4.

Saturday - while my Son played his first round of a TOC tourney at OCN Panther Lake, my friend and I headed to Grand Cypress New. The course was great and everything I remember from playing there 7 years earlier, a great and unique experience. The construction there took a bit away from the experience - no range and a long cart ride from the clubhouse to through the new course to the 1st tee, but once there it is fully worthwhile. Greens were great and fast and challenging if you aren't on in the approach game.

Sunday - my friend and I spectated early for my son's final round and then all 3 hit up Falcon's Fire on a last minute decision. A absolute step down in quality, condition, but the back nine was fun and we finished 17 after going off at 2:30. Once we got past 4, the course improved.

Monday - despite a forecast of rain, we made the drive South from Kissimmee and lucked out and got a dry 18 on a soaked course. Luckily, it drained well and we enjoyed the fast and challenging greens. Condition left a bit to desired tee to green, an and although it was my Son's least favorite course (he shot -2 on the back to shoot even par) my friend and I enjoyed it overall.

Great trip, was hard to leave to jump on a plane back to New Hampshire and 3 inches of snow with a Noreaster expected this week...

Attachments

• Josh Orlando 1.jpeg
    Josh Orlando 1.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Josh Orlando 2.jpg
    Josh Orlando 2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 5
Wait, they blew up the range at Grand Cypress too? I knew they closed the 3 9's but man.. What in the world?

Wait, they blew up the range at Grand Cypress too? I knew they closed the 3 9's but man.. What in the world?

and they want like $135 to play it right now. f- off.

Only 3 VERY TIGHTLY CLUSTERED nets. My buddy only hit 3 balls as he was worried about shanking one into my back :eek:

and they want like $135 to play it right now. f- off.

Goes to show you the power of perspective. My buddy from Nashville loved it (as did I, but I won't see grass for the next 4 months...). Just a different experience than what we had played and was used to playing. That said, if I live in Orlando, I 110% agree with your assessment.

Goes to show you the power of perspective. My buddy from Nashville loved it (as did I, but I won't see grass for the next 4 months...). Just a different experience than what we had played and was used to playing. That said, if I live in Orlando, I 110% agree with your assessment.

i mean, it is a really fun course. but when my entire golfing life that place is usually $25 - $60 depending on the time of year, that price is tough to swallow. especially when we have so many other great courses around here that we can play for less $$$. glad you enjoyed your trip!

i mean, it is a really fun course. but when my entire golfing life that place is usually $25 - $60 depending on the time of year, that price is tough to swallow. especially when we have so many other great courses around here that we can play for less $$$. glad you enjoyed your trip!
Gotta make up for not having the other nines.

Back