Recipe Orange Ground Chicken

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I shared this recipe on this week's episode of WGP, and actually made it last night. The original recipe calls for ground turkey, but I used ground chicken, and I think it would be good with ground beef, bison, and even pork too. It's super quick and easy to put together. I have made this several times following the recipe as is, but last night I used 2 cuties for my oranges, and didn't feel like cutting up ginger or garlic so just used garlic powder and ginger powder and it still came out great.

Orange Ground Chicken
Orange-Ground-Turkey-2bb.jpg
Recipe from https://emilybites.com/2021/02/orange-ground-turkey.html, Makes 4 servings

Ingredients​

• 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest, (about the amount from one orange)
  • 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 lb uncooked 99% lean ground turkey breast, (or ground chicken breast)
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
  • 2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 scallions, sliced

Instructions​

1. Combine the vinegar, orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil in a bowl and whisk together to mix. Set aside. In a small dish, stir together the cornstarch and water until cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside.
  2. Add the canola oil to a large saute pan or skillet and bring over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the ground turkey and stir to break it up and coat it in the oil. Cook the ground turkey for about 5 minutes, breaking up with a spoon to break into chunks and stirring occasionally, until the turkey is cooked through. Add the ginger, garlic, and crushed red pepper and stir together. Cook for another 30-60 seconds.
  3. Stir the sauce from step one and add it to the pan. Stir to coat the meat and bring the sauce to a boil. Stir in the cornstarch slurry from step one for about 30 seconds until the sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with scallions before serving.
Nutrition Information per (2/3 cup) serving:
210 calories, 13 g carbs, 7 g sugars, 6 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 0 g fiber, 427 mg sodium (from myfitnesspal.com)

This sounded amazing on the show!

210 calories, 13g carb & 27g protein? That's amazing!

Definitely going to add this one in to the rotation!

Okay the picture makes this one sound so much better!

Thanks, I love orange chicken.

Just made dinner an easy choice tonight

that sounds pretty good. i wonder if you could just use chicken breast cut up

I shared this recipe on this week's episode of WGP, and actually made it last night. The original recipe calls for ground turkey, but I used ground chicken, and I think it would be good with ground beef, bison, and even pork too. It's super quick and easy to put together. I have made this several times following the recipe as is, but last night I used 2 cuties for my oranges, and didn't feel like cutting up ginger or garlic so just used garlic powder and ginger powder and it still came out great.

Orange Ground Chicken
View attachment 9224959
Recipe from https://emilybites.com/2021/02/orange-ground-turkey.html, Makes 4 servings

Ingredients​

• 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest, (about the amount from one orange)
  • 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 lb uncooked 99% lean ground turkey breast, (or ground chicken breast)
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
  • 2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 scallions, sliced

Instructions​

1. Combine the vinegar, orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil in a bowl and whisk together to mix. Set aside. In a small dish, stir together the cornstarch and water until cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside.
  2. Add the canola oil to a large saute pan or skillet and bring over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the ground turkey and stir to break it up and coat it in the oil. Cook the ground turkey for about 5 minutes, breaking up with a spoon to break into chunks and stirring occasionally, until the turkey is cooked through. Add the ginger, garlic, and crushed red pepper and stir together. Cook for another 30-60 seconds.
  3. Stir the sauce from step one and add it to the pan. Stir to coat the meat and bring the sauce to a boil. Stir in the cornstarch slurry from step one for about 30 seconds until the sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with scallions before serving.
Nutrition Information per (2/3 cup) serving:
210 calories, 13 g carbs, 7 g sugars, 6 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 0 g fiber, 427 mg sodium (from myfitnesspal.com)

Umm. I making this..

I wasn't sure what you guys would think of this one, I'm happy to see so many interested. It's one of those surprisingly delicious meals that really versatile and so quick to make.

I keep seeing this between Stone Ground Wheat Bread. Gonna hafta try.
Thank you

I wasn't sure what you guys would think of this one, I'm happy to see so many interested. It's one of those surprisingly delicious meals that really versatile and so quick to make.
Anything with ground chicken/turkey in a sauce over rice is fantastic, this is a perfect meal prep lunch too!

This looks great. My wife makes a deconstructed egg roll often and we will need to try this instead sometime

I've made actual orange chicken before and this seems so much easier than cutting up and breading all the chicken haha. I will be giving this a try, possibly tonight!

Making this as I type. No scallions no broccoli but have everything else. Will report back

Actually I lied I just found a bag of frozen broccoli cuts in the freezer, will have to do!

I hope you like it! I’m currently eating my leftovers.
It’s delicious. Nice orange flavor without being overpowering. I will make again and use fresh veggies because frozen broccoli isn’t great 🤣

IMG_5200.jpeg

It’s delicious. Nice orange flavor without being overpowering. I will make again and use fresh veggies because frozen broccoli isn’t great 🤣

View attachment 9225116
So glad you liked it! Yeah, fresh veggies are definitely better for that, the frozen just get so mushy. And I agree, it's got just enough orange flavor to be tasty without taking over the dish. It's different and that's why I liked it.

Sounds and looks delicious

I think this has to be something the wife and I make soon!

Back