JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So in waiting on fellow THPer to arrive to play a round of golf, I decided to pull out some sticks for us. He mentioned that he had not had an Opus so I figured this is as good an occasion as any to light some up. But my thoughts (and many others) are that since we are playing in the am, that this smoke might be a little harsh. Any thoughts?

Do it. Smoke that sucker.

One thing though, eat first. They're plenty strong, and the first one I smoked, left me feeling drunk with an empty stomach.

I suggest keeping water to drink. You don't want to lose the flavor by drinking a soda or sports drink. I like a cup of good coffee with a good smoke some mornings too.

I've smoked them on the course before, and they're fantastic (another reason not to be upet about slow play, I've got more time to enjoy a good cigar)

Do it. Smoke that sucker.

One thing though, eat first. They're plenty strong, and the first one I smoked, left me feeling drunk with an empty stomach.

I suggest keeping water to drink. You don't want to lose the flavor by drinking a soda or sports drink. I like a cup of good coffee with a good smoke some mornings too.

I've smoked them on the course before, and they're fantastic (another reason not to be upet about slow play, I've got more time to enjoy a good cigar)

I wussed out and smoked a Cohiba Red Dot, and A DPG Blue. And trust me slow play is not an option with these guys, I think we finished in less than 3.5 hours. But I have the Opus for later, woo-hoo.

Both of those are darned decent sticks.

Have a nice big steak dinner, and then smoke the Opus with a glass of good scotch or cup of coffee. That's a really good way to end the day.

• Admin
Craig said he had never tried one. so I had to get him one. But we had a nice bag of sticks from the humi today.

• Admin
Although I played like complete crap with Craig, he is right, slow play is not an option for us. We play fast. Heck, as a twosome, we normally finish in 2 and 1/2 hours.

That's crazy fast.

I don't think I could finish in that time, given the number of times I swing the club in a given round. :D

• Admin
Well today I swung the club about 8 more times than my handicap wanted to. Shot 82 I think. I could not tee off to save my life. Factor that in with the fact that I also had 4 par/birdie putts lip out and it just did not work.

Gummi...I am use to having a word or two with my buddies before the shot is played but you don't get two words out of your mouth and they are hitting. They take practice swings too, but it doesn't slow them up....wicked fast players these Tampa fellows!

I ended up smoking the Opus around midnight back at my buddies house. I hadn't seen him in 7-8 years, and it was perfect!! Burned razor sharp, bold, spicey, flavorful, with thick volumes of smoke. Man that thing was good. We were outside and it was 75 degrees, just off the beach. Several New Castles' previous and I was a content individual!!!

Glad you enjoyed the Opus. They're excellent after a long day.

Back