Optimal setup for a specific driver loft

homerun79

Reaction score
Handicap
Hope this is the right forum for this :)

I have an R9 with 10.5 loft, I have a good swing speed (swinging slower lately, so I'm not sure what it is, probably 100-110), I wanted 9.5 but they were sold out on a deal so I just grabbed 10.5.

It doesn't go much further than my 3 wood @ 15 degrees, so I'm looking for suggestions as to how I could manipulate this club to a lower loft to get a better ball flight.

I've played with different ball positions, leaning towards moving it back towards center, since the club has more loft than I'd like.

I haven't really experimented much with the tee height yet though, curious if any of you would recommend lowering the tee, as I read that that could help.

btw it's the factory stiff shaft.

Cheers!

Last edited:
When I'm trying to keep my driver out of the wind, I tee it a little lower and move it back in my stance an inch or so. Seems to help some.

Hope this is the right forum for this :)

Guy I have a R9 with 10.5 loft, I have a good swing speed (swinging slower lately, so I'm not sure what it is, probably 100-110), I wanted 9.5 but they were sold out on a deal so I just grabbed 10.5.

It doesn't go much further than my 3 wood @ 15 degrees, so I'm looking for suggestions as to how I could manipulate this club to a lower loft to get a better ball flight.

I've played with different ball positions, leaning towards moving it back towards center, since the club has more loft than I'd like.

I haven't really experimented much with the tee height yet though, curious if any of you would recommend lowering the tee, as I read that that could help.

btw it's the factory stiff shaft.

Cheers!

Well, a quick fix you can use to reduce the loft a little since its an R9 is change the shaft into the Neutral Upright position (NU) which will in essence make it a 10* face. By the way, this is the setup and loft that Dustin Johnson uses, 10.5* R9 in the neutral upright position. I believe if you move it into the Right position, it takes away even more loft, but then the club will be set up to play a fade. If that's OK with you, you can do that too.

And of course you can do as you said and move the ball a little back in your stance and catch the ball before your driver is coming up at the ball too much, but I think I'd personally rather get the right clubhead than make a drastic swing change if I have a good swing going on.

Well, a quick fix you can use to reduce the loft a little since its an R9 is change the shaft into the Neutral Upright position (NU) which will in essence make it a 10* face. By the way, this is the setup and loft that Dustin Johnson uses, 10.5* R9 in the neutral upright position. I believe if you move it into the Right position, it takes away even more loft, but then the club will be set up to play a fade. If that's OK with you, you can do that too.

And of course you can do as you said and move the ball a little back in your stance and catch the ball before your driver is coming up at the ball too much, but I think I'd personally rather get the right clubhead than make a drastic swing change if I have a good swing going on.

+1

You can manipulate all you want but if your swing is good go with what's supposed to fit your swing. My fitter told me, "Your best friend is neutral."

thanks for the reminder that my shaft can be adjusted, I didn't buy the club for those features so I never really experimented much with it!

I could never find specs on what loft change was occuring when you changed the shaft position on the R9.

thanks!

Have you ever thought about changing out the shaft? Example, I play a Miyazaki Blue shaft, which is mid-launch, but Miyazaki makes a Black shaft which is geared towards a lower-launch. I believe TC plays a Miyazaki Black in an R9...

Shafts play just as much (or more) of a difference in launch angles as the club face.

thanks for the reminder that my shaft can be adjusted, I didn't buy the club for those features so I never really experimented much with it!

I could never find specs on what loft change was occuring when you changed the shaft position on the R9.

thanks!

No problem. Give neutral upright a try first. Good luck

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sacul's right, the miya black brought my ball flight down to an optimal angle and I changed nothing in my swing. Based on the swing speed #'s you threw up it seems as though stiff would be good but the miyazaki's put the stiff in the right area of the shaft for you. Something to consider.

Have you ever thought about changing out the shaft? Example, I play a Miyazaki Blue shaft, which is mid-launch, but Miyazaki makes a Black shaft which is geared towards a lower-launch. I believe TC plays a Miyazaki Black in an R9...

Shafts play just as much (or more) of a difference in launch angles as the club face.

I'd like to swing one of those Miyazaki shafts, just have to wait until Golftown carries them in Canada. I heard on the podcast they are working on it :)

thanks guys

Back