Goins

"Not too shabby"
Reaction score
I am in a discovery mode right now. I make a nice living but have to travel and am away from home months at a time to do so. I'd like to find a career that keeps me home with my girls more. I have seen the commercials about Devry and Phoenix and was curious if anyone has tried this route for furthering their education. If so I would really like some feedback on how the courses went and if companies give any credit to these online universities.

Many companies will and they should. I did some class work through Phoenix and it was no joke. Lots of work though, as the classes tend to be accelerated when it comes to their schedules.

My company tends to not put as much stock in degree from Univ. of Phoenix for some reason.

I have a sister who earned her Baccalaureate through Phoenix and a friend who is currently working on her MSN(nursing) through them. Both of them are more than pleased with their curriculum. Hard work and as mentioned accelerated. Also a bit pricey, but hey, it sounds like it is worth it.

One thing to look at is if a local college in your area offers a similar program. Many colleges have online or partially online courses. Truth be told, you are going to be working your butt off either way. The only difference will be where you are doing it.

Wrapping up my Masters Degree now via an online school, https://www.amu.apus.edu/login/student/index.htm

I would reccomend it to anyone looking to start a degree via distance learning. A lady I work with is going through Capella, she enjoys it as well, though her courses are a bit more expensive than mine. Lots of "brick and mortar" schools are adding the online option in order to meet the demand.

On another note, huge props to you for thinking about a change in order to be with the family.

There are literally $h1t-tons of online programs that are great and far less expensive than UoP. And I'm pretty sure Devry is very program specific and none of their stuff transfers; or that could be ITT...or both. :shrug:

I've looked at about every online program out there as I just don't want to go to a brick-n-mortar around here. The schools here simply don't offer want I'm interested in.

Illinois, Grand Canyon, Maryland, Troy, NC State, Indiana State, and a few others have all really captured my attention for my Masters.

Edit to add: FLA pointed out another that is tops on my list.

I'm considering something along the lines of business management or human resources. I want something broad enough to give me more options. The school here locally does offer some online programs but nothing complete without atleast partial classroom time and thats just not an option. I took one semester of community college after high school and really enjoyed the pace. I still don't know why I didn't continue instead of going into the Army. It is what it is I suppose, but the time has come to do something about that. I've missed alot with my wife and daughters because of what I do, I want to change that.

Here's one option for online study: Western Governors University. It was created by, well, a group of western states' governors just for people like us. I went a little different route that involved some on-campus classes, but WGU was one I was looking into. It also says it's accredited, so people (read: employers) should take it seriously, but YMMV on that.

Anyway, good luck! I know how hard it is to get back into the study mode after being out of it for awhile.

I take online classes now for the same reason. Most of my classes are completely online and a few others have required that I visit my local campus to take a proctored exam. That was my math exams. My older brother is getting his Masters online and I'm trying to convince my younger brother to enroll and take 2 classes online. I'm doing homework now, but took a break to browse the forum. Many of the classes have the option for 8, 12 or 16 weeks. 8 week classes are intense, whereas 16 weeks seem to last forever, but you can usually work at your own pace. I tend to get 2 or 3 weeks ahead of the class and finish early when possible. Check out your local community colleges and universities first, you'll be surprised at the options. I wish I did this 12 years ago.

Best of luck to you.

Before you commit, you should take a less expensive online course, maybe for a certificate or something. Not everyone learns well online, or only will do well with certain types of online learning and some people do better with the in-class experience. Once you know how you will react to online teaching, you can either modify your schedule/pattern or find a different match. It can be very discouraging to enter into a program only to realize it is a bad match.

Regardless, good for you. Even if you don't change your job, learning is never a bad thing.

Back