Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
Gummi - Is this the Doodlebug thing you keep talking about?

No. The Doodlebug is a Bronco, like the one we're racing, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

Doodlebug has a 170 cubic inch motor, the racer has a 408; where the Doodlebug might make 100 horsepower, the racer makes over 500 (it pulled 630 on the chassis dyno, but has since been de-tuned for a more reliable run)

We haven't raced since 2007, when the rear axle ate iself. Since then has been major suspension changes, they've lowered the truck nearly 4 inches (a lower center of gravity makes it more stable), rebuild the motor and transmission, replace the rear axle and many more changes.

Do you drive too? Or are you part of the crew?

I'm the navigator, and pit support, chase, cook and mediator sometimes.

The navigator has a lot more to do than just look at the GPS, I've also got to be looking in the mirror at the other racers, calling out on the radio, watching the gauges in the racer, honking the horn, and keeping the driver from losing his cool. I'm pretty busy in there.

Pit support, while another driver/co-dawg (navigator term of endearment) is in the racer, I will jump in on any repairs, fuel, food and drink for the guys in the truck. Whatever needs to be done.

Chase, is pit support that is mobile. During a Baja race, it's a 1000 mile loop or point to point race. We have to chase along down the highway in a truck with tools, spare parts and fuel to keep the racer going. We find points of intersection, and zoom in to meet the racer. It can get pretty crazy.

THis is a video of a trophy truck (the super dooper fast desert trucks) and the famed driver Pistol Pete, who's very charismatic and fun to watch drive (not to mention a super cool dude)
[YOUTUBE]HyKCXNSnJq8[/YOUTUBE]

Good luck Gummi!

Have fun Gummi. When did they start racing in Texas?

Have fun Gummi. When did they start racing in Texas?

In the last couple of years. It's very much a grass roots effort, but seems to be catching on. This race looks like it's going to attract racers from not only Texas, but also as far out as Arizona.

BTW - I thought of you the other day... Buddy of mine ran across a Rhino with a YZF engine, and another with a Hayabusa engine. Pretty sick. :banana:

I'll try to take a lot of pictures, and maybe some video if I can. I'll also see what I can do about getting a copy of the in car video in the racer (kind of cool to see the race from the driver's perspective) I just wish we could patch in our intercom audio, it'd be pretty funny.:D

BTW - I thought of you the other day... Buddy of mine ran across a Rhino with a YZF engine, and another with a Hayabusa engine. Pretty sick. :banana:

These guys are getting crazy with the Rhinos. I took mine to Pismo last month had a blast, I really need to take it out more. Ive had it for close to 4 years and it only has 30 hours on it.

The race from this past weekend. I didn’t get to ride, they shut down the racer before it was my turn. Didn’t want to tear it up before Baja. I’m not going to Baja this year.

Pictures:

Sweetwater 200 10-10-09 pictures by u15GummiBear - Photobucket

Most are of the race, but a few are of the windmills for the Sweetwater wind farm, which is the 2nd largest in the nation. There is a picture of the blades on a truck as well, the scale of them is impressive.

There is a picture of the blades on a truck as well, the scale of them is impressive.

Those blades are impressive to see. They are building some wind mills in this area as well and I encounter the trucks on the highway from time to time.

Being a Robby Gordon fan in NASCAR has me checking out the off road racing scene a bit. That looks like a whole lot more fun than asphalt both to do and to watch.

I got to meet Robby in Ensenada back in 2007, and again at the CORR race in Fort Worth. He's an exciting driver to watch, super aggressive. He's either going to win, or blow up trying. :D

If you get a chance to go to Baja, be at Contingency, the day before the race. I got to meet quite a few legends of racing, it was pretty awesome (Parnelli Jones, Ivan Stewart, etc.)

That soil makes me drewl Gummi, it looks lush. You Texans are pretty lucky.

More pics:

Sweetwater 200 : Desert Racing Photos

Gas - that part of Texas is usually pretty arrid, we're getting a lot of late season rain. It's weird seeing everything so green this late in the year, usually it's all dried out, and we've got burn bans in effect everywhere.

Glad you had a good time Gummi. Which one is you in the photos?

The #349 Bronco is the one for the team I'm associated with.

I didn't get to ride, they treated this race as a shakedown for the Baja 1000 next month. They're going through the racer, making a few small changes/improvements and off they go. I won't be going to Baja this year.

Back