Oakley Sunglasses - Polarized G30

Redowl

Reaction score
Handicap
fast food
Hello all,
I've been eyeing up the Oakley G30 lenses for quite some time (stalked a lot of the threads on THP) but was reluctant to pull the trigger because they seemed very golf-specific and didn't seem like they would work very well for other endeavors.
Recently, I learned that the G30 can now be purchased in a polarized lens and thought I was about to eat my cake and have it too...
Well, I found myself googling this good news, and found some people who didn't think it was as good as I thought - saying the polarizing of the G30 minimized the benefits around the fairways and on the greens.
I would love to hear what everyone on here thinks about the G30 vs. polarized G30.

(I did use the search function, but it is certainly possible I missed this topic - feel free to chastise and point me in the right direction...)

R.O.

I have the G30 XLJ's for my flak jackets....I wear them all the time, on the course and off.

Just tap it in...Just tap it in.

I have polarized G30 Flak Jackets. Mine are prescription, and I love them. I wear them on and off the golf course.

One thing I've noticed is that reflective surfaces seem to have a very distinctly different appearance to them. It's intriguing.

At the level of my game, if there is any difference in how I read the green because of the polarized lenses, it's not noticeable to me.

You should check out what Bolle has to offer. I tried their golf specific glasses on and they felt good on the face. Snug fit but didn't know they were there.

I have the polarized g30 lenses, I wear them on and off the course. I like them but don't find them overly helpful on the course.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I have a set of the regular G30's....wear them all the time on the course....mayhave to look into a set of the polarized G30 lenses

Have them and loved them for golf, til I got my eyes checked and realized I was blind....not really but I did need glasses. So I ended up getting prescription oakleys. It would have been expensive to get the g30 lenses so I got a e regular dark polarized anti glare anti scratch lens. Works fine, but I do miss my g30s. Crisp colors with them for sure.

I recently picked up some flak jacket xlj and found this http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/lens-tints pretty helpful in determining which lenses to add to the fire iridiums they came with. I added the knockoffs from Visionary Lenses through Amazon and have to say there is very little difference in quality and clarity. 3 pairs for 75 shipped.http://www.amazon.com/Polarized-Ste...8&sr=1-35&keywords=visionary+lenses+polarized

As far as on course I find myself using the "G30" the most. I swear it's easier to spot balls in the air and rough. Been using them for 3 months and haven't had any really bright days yet where I need to go black or silver which I got if I want a darker tint. Also with the "G30" I find myself leaving them on pretty much till the sun goes down as they seem to harness light and make things seem brighter as the sun fades. Good luck deciding took me a lot of pondering to pull the trigger. Also helps if you can get em covered with insurance after doc writes a script for non prescription glasses.

I've got the regular G30's. I wear them everyday. I love mine!

I was having the same exact debate with myself last spring. I ended up going with the non-polarized G30s in an "M" frame.

I went with the non-polarized since I read more often than not that using Polarized glasses can hurt your ability to read undulations in greens/fairways.

Either way, I wear them strictly for golf and absolutely love them - even when it is overcast out, it makes things a lot more pleasant to look at. And as it is, I have a pair of Polarized Natives that are my go-to glasses.

I just got a pair of flak jackets with the regular G30 lens - only used them about 3 rounds so far but WOW do they brighten everything up - great even on cloudy days. I just bought an additional set of polarized XLJ lenses, blue iridium, specifically made for fresh water fishing which will be awesome for our walleye trip in Quebec next month ! Very easy to change out and case has slots for extra lens sets. G30s are fantastic.

I have a pair of G30 in XLJ frames that are polarized. Mine are prescription, but I like them and haven't had any issues on the course. With flack jackets it's really easy to swap out the lenses as well; I have the G30 and grey ones I trade out; it's great for having multiple options based on how bright it is out. The G30 is a great tint for medium conditions, not too dark for cloudy days but still helps with the contrast on those sunny days.

Sounds like I won't really regret either purchase. I guess I'll just look around and see what kind of deal(s) I can find.
I will also look into Bolle.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

R.O.

I wear polarized Half Jacket 2.0...I just take them off when I am trying to read the break on the green

Back