Not adjusted to hybrid life.

Masterplanner

Reaction score
I was a junior golfer between about 2000 and 2006 and then returned to the sport last year after university, city living, career, travel etc.

Upon my return to golf, as you will appreciate I have noticed a lot of change.

One of them is the widespread adoption of hybrids.

At the back end of last year I treated myself to a 22 degree Stealth Plus Hybrid.

Bearing in mind I never had a hybrid as a junior (they were just coming in then), I was quite excited to what it would bring to my game. I am a high handicapper so my mates recommended them to me, saying that it would improve my game.

I have used the Hybrid quite a bit, taken it to the range etc and used it on the course and have not been blown away to tell the truth.

Until today I played a good 18 in practice (for ball-striking, hitting the driver well, 3 wood well, irons well and chipped okay).

The Hybrid shots were extremely poor in contrast to me being happy with other aspects of my game today.

What are you guys thinking? I'm thinking of binning it and going for a 5 / 7 wood.

The issue is that I don't think long irons really suit me and there are a few long par 3s on my course where I don't really want to hit a wood but my irons won't carry.

Hybrids are played in the same ball position as irons. They aren't played like FW. They're played like irons. The low point of the swing is after the ball.

My bag looks like... well... it's below. I carry a Ping 4H & 5H. I have the 4H adjusted to 23.5 deg. It's normally 22 deg. I also carry a 7W and a 5W. The 5H is 26 deg, which is the same as my set's 6i, so I don't carry a 6i anymore. I find the 5H more versatile: it's easier to hit out of bad lies, goes the same distance as the 6i, also is good for recovery shots and chipping.

Hit whatever you're most comfortable with. Some people aren't comfortable with hybrids, others don't like fairway woods. I have both in my bag.

...The issue is that I don't think long irons really suit me and there are a few long par 3s on my course where I don't really want to hit a wood but my irons won't carry.
Sounds like it would be a good spot for a 7W, Heavenwood, or 9W, if you really can't stand hybrids. Other than that, you could maybe try a UT (Utility Iron) and see if that works any better for you.

Hit whatever you're most comfortable with. Some people aren't comfortable with hybrids, others don't like fairway woods. I have both in my bag.

Sounds like it would be a good spot for a 7W, Heavenwood, or 9W, if you really can't stand hybrids. Other than that, you could maybe try a UT (Utility Iron) and see if that works any better for you.

I am intrigued by Utility Irons .. I am going to look out for a deal on Ebay .. otherwise 7 wood sounds like a banker.

As for the hybrid I own, I think it will go in my store cupboard for now ... it may reappear in the future but right now it is psychologically bad!

I was a junior golfer between about 2000 and 2006 and then returned to the sport last year after university, city living, career, travel etc.

Upon my return to golf, as you will appreciate I have noticed a lot of change.

One of them is the widespread adoption of hybrids.

At the back end of last year I treated myself to a 22 degree Stealth Plus Hybrid.

Bearing in mind I never had a hybrid as a junior (they were just coming in then), I was quite excited to what it would bring to my game. I am a high handicapper so my mates recommended them to me, saying that it would improve my game.

I have used the Hybrid quite a bit, taken it to the range etc and used it on the course and have not been blown away to tell the truth.

Until today I played a good 18 in practice (for ball-striking, hitting the driver well, 3 wood well, irons well and chipped okay).

The Hybrid shots were extremely poor in contrast to me being happy with other aspects of my game today.

What are you guys thinking? I'm thinking of binning it and going for a 5 / 7 wood.

The issue is that I don't think long irons really suit me and there are a few long par 3s on my course where I don't really want to hit a wood but my irons won't carry.
I have started moving away from my 4-6 hybrids and replacing them with a 7w, and 9w. I've actually been play my 7w for quite a while.

The extra distance with the woods is just ok, not great. However, the accuracy (horizonal dispersion) is way better with the woods

The 9w is still pretty new to me, but I will keep working with it, and keep it in my bag. Easy swings don't generate too many problems with.

Another plus with removing two hybrids for the 9w, is I was able to add a 4w to the bag. This could be my new "swap out" club for different course conditions.

I am intrigued by Utility Irons .. I am going to look out for a deal on Ebay .. otherwise 7 wood sounds like a banker.

As for the hybrid I own, I think it will go in my store cupboard for now ... it may reappear in the future but right now it is psychologically bad!
What flex are you? I might have a 7 wood looking for some playing time.

Two recommendation:
1. Utility irons (SrixonZX MK II, Mizuno Fli Hi, etc)
2. 19/21* Callaway Apex UW

just try them. I find that they get off the ground easy and ar easier to hit than standard irons.

I have started moving away from my 4-6 hybrids and replacing them with a 7w, and 9w. I've actually been play my 7w for quite a while.

The extra distance with the woods is just ok, not great. However, the accuracy (horizonal dispersion) is way better with the woods

The 9w is still pretty new to me, but I will keep working with it, and keep it in my bag. Easy swings don't generate too many problems with.

Another plus with removing two hybrids for the 9w, is I was able to add a 4w to the bag. This could be my new "swap out" club for different course conditions.
7W gaps just above a 5H for me. I also have a 4H, but the 4H/7W are an either/or situation since their yardages are almost identical.

What flex are you? I might have a 7 wood looking for some playing time.
Thanks for the thought @WLG1952 but I am based in the UK so shipping would be difficult. I am regular.... although my driver is secretly fitted with a ladies hzrdos smoke shaft and it's brilliant.

Two recommendation:
1. Utility irons (SrixonZX MK II, Mizuno Fli Hi, etc)
2. 19/21* Callaway Apex UW

just try them. I find that they get off the ground easy and ar easier to hit than standard irons.
I was literally just looking at the Srixon ZX and Fli His just then.

Thanks for the thought @WLG1952 but I am based in the UK so shipping would be difficult. I am regular.... although my driver is secretly fitted with a ladies hzrdos smoke shaft and it's brilliant.
I don't know. I once mailed a bag of Martini Tees to a THPer in Scotland, or Ireland. I forget who, and where. Took 3 weeks to get there. A small box with just the head in it might work. I'll see what I have. Doing crazy stuff is part of my life....🤣

I was literally just looking at the Srixon ZX and Fli His just then.

I would stay away from a 2 iron version if I could. Those tend to be best just off a tee and can work off deck if you are really consistent.

play a 3/4 now of the Srixon and a 21* Apex UW. It ends up with good gapping with some overlap that really just becomes what kind of hit I’m trying to do.

I will echo what others have said... you hit a hybrid the same way you'd hit a 7 iron.

They are pretty long and pretty upright vs the equivalent iron, and that might be throwing you off. Try taking a couple half-swings on grass to find where the low point is.

I will echo what others have said... you hit a hybrid the same way you'd hit a 7 iron.

They are pretty long and pretty upright vs the equivalent iron, and that might be throwing you off. Try taking a couple half-swings on grass to find where the low point is.
This is good advice, period! You will be surprised at the distance you will get from a hybrid, with just an easy swing. I have an 18* hybrid in my bag, and it IS my get out of trouble club. Heavy rough, bad lies, some distance needed to get back on the fairway after a bad tee shot. Don't use it often, but for me, it is a club I need in my bag. Works great off the tee for that distance number that I can hit it. My iron set is also "hybrid irons". From a 4 @ 24*, to the 9 @ 42*. Did have a hi-PW @ 46*, but replaced it with a CBX Zipcore wedge @ 46*, just for more versatilty at the bottom of the bag. Ball gets up nice, good distance, and don't have to swing out of my shoes to get what I need. I would try working with that hybrid a little more, but if not, fairway woods are a good thing too...

As I have gotten older(67), my swing is shorter than it used to be, and still as inconsistent, caused by a late, or too early hip turn, and my swing speed has always been 75-80 mph. These Reva hybrid irons I use from GigaGolf are probably going to be my clubs for awhile, going into retirement soon. Starting my 4th season with them, and distances have not changed for me per club. Still pretty much the same as when I played 10 years ago, with Cally X-20's in the bag. If I have a trouble hole, I just club up, to be sure I carry the ball far enough. Yeah, these clubs are "old school" lofts(PW @ 46*) by today's standards as they make irons. But, I actually prefer the lofts I have, as I do not chase distance, just looking for accuracy, and with my short irons having more loft, coming into a green with higher flight on an approach shot, and not having to use a wedge, unless the distance is such. I have confidence in the club chosen, when I look down when setting up for a shot. So, these GigaGolf hybrid irons get the ball up easily, with good distance for me. There was a little learning curve in the beginning, as the club face is smaller than a conventional iron, but does not bother me at this time. I really don't make a lot of contact mishits, with these clubs. I might choose the wrong club for the conditions, but seldom chunk, or squib the ball. The clubs themselves are holding up well. I inspect the club faces from time to time, looking for dents, or weakened areas. None so far. With my ss, probably should not expect any problems with these clubs. Quality seems to be on par with any other clubs out there. I wonder if they sold these in a brick and mortar, say Dicks, if they would sell many sets? I have a cover set to keep them looking nice, so they don't bang against each other in the bag. Nice paint on these clubs, and I want to keep them looking good! So, for me, hybrid life is pretty good! Just need to get my swing in shape, and not be so inconsistent.. Trying a new ball this weekend, and hopefully it helps me out, staying in the fairway more often...

If it takes two swing to reach the green on a long Par3 then it makes the most sense to play it that way.
An iron to the middle of the fairway. A wedge to get it close. Then a putt for par. If you miss the putt then a bogey is still a good score for a long Par 3.
Missing a long club and finding yourself in a bunker could be a disaster.
I like my clubs short so hybrids don't really do much for my game.
I have an 8H that I use for bump and runs and hitting out of the rough.

@drb1956 If you're looking for a new hybrid set and don't want to get another GigaGolf set (Giga has quality stuff) "Eleven" makes an all hybrid set and allot of YTubers have reviewed them very positively.

I also have a 26* 5h that's about 12-14 years old I purchased for $39 (Cleveland DST) that goes 10-20 yards further than my 6i. I'm afraid to get rid of this club as it is so consistent for me.

@Masterplanner It took me at least 1-2 years of on and off trying the hybrids and either topping, pulling or hooking them for it to finally click. Once I focused on moving to ball to my 7i position and stop overswing. Now my Cleveland HyWood, Maltby UW and Cleveland 5h are the most consistent clubs in my bag.

I can't use hybrids either. I don't know what it is, but I can't keep a hybrid from going left off the planet. I play a 7w in that slot and love it.

If it takes two swing to reach the green on a long Par3 then it makes the most sense to play it that way.
An iron to the middle of the fairway. A wedge to get it close. Then a putt for par. If you miss the putt then a bogey is still a good score for a long Par 3.
Missing a long club and finding yourself in a bunker could be a disaster.
I like my clubs short so hybrids don't really do much for my game.
I have an 8H that I use for bump and runs and hitting out of the rough.
Usually don't need two swings on a par 3, but it does happen. On a par 4, that's different. My tee shot either makes, or breaks the hole..Switched out my set PW hybrid iron at 46*, to a specialty(CBX Zipcore) wedge at 46*, to give me more versatilty at the bottom...

I think hybrids are some of the hardest clubs to find the one you like. There are many different styles of heads to pick from, and then you have a pretty wide range of shaft weights you could conceivably play.

Back