My trip to Bandon Dunes with Oregon Golfer

Dr. Teeth

Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.8!
This past Saturday Oregon Golfer and I were privileged enough to get to play at Bandon Dunes. This is one great perk about living in Oregon. In Feb I was able to play the Bandon Dunes course and Old MacDonald, and then this trip we played Bandon Trails and Pacific Dunes. It was a great day and the weather really cooperated quite well. We got rained on for the first half of our morning round at Trails and then it was great weather for the rest of that round and all through our round at Pacific Dunes. The wind was mild too, which really was the best gift the weather gave us. There were a couple of times as we were standing on tee boxes at Pacific Dunes when there was blue skies and we were able to look over the cliffs onto the crashing waves and I kept thinking about how blessed I was to be there. Having played all 4 courses now, I am impressed by how different the 4 are. Of the 4 Pacific Dunes is my favorite, no surprise. It doesn't hurt that I played very well there, but even still, I really love how this course makes you think and puts a premium on ball placement over distance. I really loved Bandon Trails though and it was in fantastic shape. This course is in the best condition of the 4 and the greens were quite a bit faster than Pacific (which had there greens running just about perfect for my taste). Trails is a very tough course, with a few holes that are just crazy hard (250 yard par 3, and one green that was smaller than my car :D) I played okay on Trails, had a bad front 9 44 and then recovered a bit for a 39 on the back for an 83. I could have had a very good score, but I lipped about 5-6 putts. At Pacific I was not playing particularly well on the front nine, and was 5 over through 9 with a 41 on the front. But then at the 12th hole which is a strong par 5, I hit a great drive and then a low 3 wood from about 250 that ended up about 5 feet from the hole. I dropped that putt in for an eagle! I birdied the next hole which was a beautiful par 4 that plays as the second most difficult hole on the course. I finished the back nine -1, which was a shock to me because I just wasn't paying that much attention to my score. So I finished the round with a 4 over 75 and I was thrilled! To play that well on such a beautiful course, plus throw in the great weather and that we had and a great playing partner in OG and it was more than I could have ever asked for! If you ever get the chance to play with Oregon Golfer, jump on it! He is one of my favorite people to play golf with and is such a joy to be around. I try and take every opportunity I can to get out with him and it is always so worth it!

That sounds like a great day! Congrats on your awesome round! -1 on 9 is fantastic!

Nice! Very nice!! That's one place I've always wanted to play. :)

Nice! Very nice!! That's one place I've always wanted to play. :)

You have got to make the trip! It is amazing!

Wow, great round Teeth!! You beat me buddy, I shot 77 at Pacific Dunes! It is my favorite course I have ever played and I am so glad to hear you had a great time! I am also glad you enjoyed Trails. Isn't it beautiful? So different from the others.

Yeah, it is totally different than the others. It reminds me more of some of the Bend courses than anything. Did you find it to be the most difficult of the four?

Yeah, it is totally different than the others. It reminds me more of some of the Bend courses than anything. Did you find it to be the most difficult of the four?

Old Mac was the toughest for me. The weather didn't help us there though. It was rainy and windy the afternoon we played, so I am not sure it is getting a fair shake. I shot worse at Trails, but I was so tired that I had mailed it in on the back 9 and was just enjoying the course and not worried about my score. Trails was the 4th course we played and the 5th round in 3 days (all walked). I really want to go back and give Old Mac another shot, but it wasn't my fave. The greens are rediculous. We played 2 weeks before the US Am, so it was in crazy good shape and super fast!

Doc, that's a ridiculously good round on a tough track, especially first time playing it. Well done!

I want to play those 4 courses in an unnaturally bad way.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Doc, that's a ridiculously good round on a tough track, especially first time playing it. Well done!

I want to play those 4 courses in an unnaturally bad way.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Haha! If you ever do, just give me a call. If I can make it, I will. I will take any excuse to play these courses.

Old Mac was the toughest for me. The weather didn't help us there though. It was rainy and windy the afternoon we played, so I am not sure it is getting a fair shake. I shot worse at Trails, but I was so tired that I had mailed it in on the back 9 and was just enjoying the course and not worried about my score. Trails was the 4th course we played and the 5th round in 3 days (all walked). I really want to go back and give Old Mac another shot, but it wasn't my fave. The greens are rediculous. We played 2 weeks before the US Am, so it was in crazy good shape and super fast!

Old Mac on a windy day would be brutal! I love the view on Old Mac as you are coming over the giant hill on the 3rd hole! That took my breath away. You are right that Old Mac is the most different course and toughest greens I have ever played. Trails was more difficult in that the holes are just hard. Long par 3s, tough par 5s (the 3 par 5s are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd most difficult holes on the course) and I still can't get over the size of the green on #14. The pin was up front and on the left the green ran severely away from you and on the right was a drop off into a steep bunker and in between the two was about 7 yards). It was so much fun to play though!

It sure was a blast. On the back 9 @ Pacific I stopped keeping score and lived vicariously through your scorecard. :act-up: It's amazing how the weather can be. You can get a rainy, stormy day in August and a perfectly still, blue-skied day in November or vice-versa. On Sunday when we left for home there wasn't a single cloud in the sky, I wished I could have been back out playing again.

Thanks again for coming out Dr., I look forward to our next round.

Haha! If you ever do, just give me a call. If I can make it, I will. I will take any excuse to play these courses.

Old Mac on a windy day would be brutal! I love the view on Old Mac as you are coming over the giant hill on the 3rd hole! That took my breath away. You are right that Old Mac is the most different course and toughest greens I have ever played. Trails was more difficult in that the holes are just hard. Long par 3s, tough par 5s (the 3 par 5s are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd most difficult holes on the course) and I still can't get over the size of the green on #14. The pin was up front and on the left the green ran severely away from you and on the right was a drop off into a steep bunker and in between the two was about 7 yards). It was so much fun to play though!

Yeah it was tough at Old Mac. Our day was beautiful and sunny at Trails, with some breeze. I got killed on the par 5's at Trails as well. On a good note, I nearly aced #5 at trails. I think it lipped, but it ended 2 feet for birdie. Would have been nice to have an ace at the Bandon complex.

#3 at Old Mac is a crazy hole off the tee. If we wouldn't have had a caddy, I wouldn't have been sure which way to tee off. And that dead tree is just an awesome sight!

Yeah it was tough at Old Mac. Our day was beautiful and sunny at Trails, with some breeze. I got killed on the par 5's at Trails as well. On a good note, I nearly aced #5 at trails. I think it lipped, but it ended 2 feet for birdie. Would have been nice to have an ace at the Bandon complex.

#3 at Old Mac is a crazy hole off the tee. If we wouldn't have had a caddy, I wouldn't have been sure which way to tee off. And that dead tree is just an awesome sight!

You are exactly right about this! You stand on the tee box and look one way... and then the other... and then the caddy says it is over the hill and it is like "NO WAY!" So cool!

OG I can't wait for our next round together! We still to play Pumpkin together!

It sure was a blast. On the back 9 @ Pacific I stopped keeping score and lived vicariously through your scorecard. :act-up: It's amazing how the weather can be. You can get a rainy, stormy day in August and a perfectly still, blue-skied day in November or vice-versa. On Sunday when we left for home there wasn't a single cloud in the sky, I wished I could have been back out playing again.

Thanks again for coming out Dr., I look forward to our next round.

OG I can't wait for our next round together! We still to play Pumpkin together!

Don't forget about your WA brother for the invites as well? :)

Thanks for sharing. This place is on my short list. I have family that lives in the Seattle area; an excuse to get out to the left coast is in the works...

Don't forget about your WA brother for the invites as well? :)

True! I won't forget you! I got jealous when I saw that you played Chambers last week! I need to get up there and play that course again! I loved that course and I would like to see what I could do there now that I have played it once.

Thanks for sharing. This place is on my short list. I have family that lives in the Seattle area; an excuse to get out to the left coast is in the works...

If you are in Seattle, then playing Chambers Bay is a must! I LOVE that course too!

thanks for sharing, im jealous for sure

Wow, you're some player Dr. Teeth! Sounds like you had a great time with Oregon Golfer as well. I'm so jealous, but at this time I don't think I'd have the energy to play 18 anywhere. It sure is great to hear of your adventure though. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Dr. T and OG - very nice - thanks for sharing!! 4 over is some solid November golfing!! Did you guys get any pictures? I'm dying to get over to Bandon, so I have to figure out some way to work in a road trip. However, with my luck, I'll get one of those 40MPH windy and cold November days!!

Consider me jealous, I have always wanted to play Bandon Dunes...it looks like such an interesting course.

Sounds like a great trip Doc.
I have yet to play any of the courses at Bandon.
I've got to make the drive down there to play with you guys!

Man, I really need to make the trip over and try those courses out...sounds like a blast.

Don't forget about me too!

I loved my time at Bandon and cannot wait to get back there (hopefully 2012). It truly is an amazing place that is like no other. I wish somewhere around me had a practice facility like theirs.

Here's a little pic from when I was there in April.
c6e4d39d-d207-22d3.jpg

Don't forget about me too!

I loved my time at Bandon and cannot wait to get back there (hopefully 2012). It truly is an amazing place that is like no other. I wish somewhere around me had a practice facility like theirs.

Here's a little pic from when I was there in April.
c6e4d39d-d207-22d3.jpg

Will do man! It looks like we bees to set up a couple day trip to Bandon for any interested parties. I will start looking into that.

Back