My own personal demo day

Spaceman_Spiff

Reaction score
Firestone CO, north of Denver about 20 mins
Handicap
So I went to Dicks Sporting Goods to hit some Irons and test the Hirzl glove. Well needless to say I was very disappointed with my trip. (Could probably copy this post into Rant of the day!)

I went out seeking to test the Cobra S3 Irons & Driver, TaylorMade Burner 2.0s, R11, Burner SuperFast, Nike MachSpeed Black and possibly something from Adams. After arriving I saw they didn't have the S3s, only the S2s and they only had 1 S3 driver 10.5 Reg Flex. They had 2.0s on display but only with Regular flex shafts. So after waiting for 30 minutes before someone even acknowledged me I finally got to step into the range with the S2s and their regular flex Burner 09s with their regular flex shaft and a 2.0 with stiff shaft.

I began speaking with the "pro" on hand and told him I had a set of KBS C-Tapers that might be looking for a new home and how much it might be to get stuff custom fit through them. He said I probably wouldn't need it! I began swinging and the Cobras didn't feel great, the Burner 09s didn't feel good either but the 2.0s felt nice. The "pro" was then whisked away with other issues to attend to. I then hit about 2 small buckets worth of balls on the 2.0s and was really digging them. He didn't come back in that whole time.

I think I mostly didn't like the Cobras or the Burner 09s because of the regular flex shafts. I also think I might have had a bad taste since they told me I likely don't need a custom fitting.

I then walked out after 1 and a half hours and still hadn't hit any drivers.

I'm still baffled they said no to custom fitting, I figured they probably don't get a commission off customs but to leave me all alone in the range for 30+ minutes? No Bueno.

So I'm also digging the 2.0s but I want to give the Cobras with a stiff shaft and I really want to hit some G15s before I assume anything else.

Sorry to hear that man, hopefully you have another golf store in your area that can do some proper fitting and have better service for you.

Bummer. What CB said. Find another golf store and give it another try! I'm sure you will have a good time to try those clubs you had in mind.

hey david,

I was over at golfsmith on Saturday and they had the S3's there and the staff is pretty helpful

i only go for dicks for sales, otherwise gg is 5 min from dicks, and they always have what you need! plus im on a first name basis with everyone who works there, so i feel more comfortable!

not surprised, I seem to get the same kind of service when Im there as well

Yeah, I have NEVER relied on Dicks for a representative that can talk on my own golf level, let alone a higher level.

I'm sorry about your experience, but have you considered/is there a golf galaxy or Golfsmith or golf specific big box store near you? I have always found the staff of a golf specific store to have tons (although usually bias towards one or two brands) of golf knowledge and usually are very willing to help.

..and anyone suggesting you don't need a fitting is being lazy. Everyone deserves to (and SHOULD) get fit for clubs.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you can find a place that will give you better service and help you with what you're looking for.

I echo some of the sentiments here Spiff. Not a big fan of Dick's unless there's a sale that's unbelievable (a rarity) and don't need the help of someone. I like to go to the specialty retailers more like Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith just so I can chit chat with someone that at least knows something about the game.

Sorry to hear it David. I'm with everyone on Dicks, yet to have a positive experiance with one.

i only go for dicks for sales, otherwise gg is 5 min from dicks, and they always have what you need! plus im on a first name basis with everyone who works there, so i feel more comfortable!

Hmm this is interesting. So they've been cheating on me with you. B*tches!!

I agree with most here. Dicks for sales only or if it's the only option. Selection is terrible and knowledge almost as bad.

Tapatalk: better on the iPad

Was this the Dicks on Hwy. 7? I was in there Friday afternoon looking at Drivers and the sales guy was all over me, was really annoying, couldn't pick up a club without him hovering over me.

HA! This was the same Dicks Ron. I went Sunday afternoon. It was ridiculous.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I hope to get to the Golfsmith that is close to my work soon, if not, there is a Golf Galaxy about a 25 minute drive from me. Also, the PGA Tour Super Store is set to open Thursday. I plan on going there as I'm sure they'll have a bunch of fun contests and prizes opening weekend.

I view Dick's as a sporting goods Wal Mart. If I want top notch advice I won't expect to find it at Dick's. My best experiences have been at smaller stores and golf courses.

HA! This was the same Dicks Ron. I went Sunday afternoon. It was ridiculous.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I hope to get to the Golfsmith that is close to my work soon, if not, there is a Golf Galaxy about a 25 minute drive from me. Also, the PGA Tour Super Store is set to open Thursday. I plan on going there as I'm sure they'll have a bunch of fun contests and prizes opening weekend.

I hadn't heard about a PGA Super Store opening. Where is it located at?

I hadn't heard about a PGA Super Store opening. Where is it located at?

The PGA Tour Superstore will be down in Greenwood Village off of Arapahoe and I-25. East side actually next to the Home Depot, I think where the formerly Gart Bros then Sports Authority used to be... if you're at all familiar with that area of town.

Well I got to have my own little personal demo day today. Or at least much more so than my last attempt at Dicks. I went to the new PGA Tour Super Store just south of Denver. IT WAS AWESOME! The gentleman assisting me on the monitor was great. I got to hit the Burner 2.0s, Razr Xs, Diablo Forged, Ping i15s, Burner Superfast Driver, and Nike Machspeed Black driver.

I LOVE THE BURNERS! i've put my current clubs up on craigslist in an attempt to gather about 2/3 of what I need for the burners. I can't wait!

Back