My Driver Dillemia

tjgus25

Reaction score
I'm Currently gaming a R11 8* with Rip Alpha shaft. I have it set to to lower loft face open and weight 10g in toe and 1g in heel.

Now i can hit this the longest with set up like this but i struggle to get a nice little draw with it. I can hit a cut shot all day long and get good distance out of it but when i need to hit a draw it is either straight or a big draw/hook.

So on launch monitor i got numbers of Ball Speed 167.5 launch 13.0 spin 2118 side spin of +395

Ive tried changing the weights to 10 on heel and 1 on toe but it feels dead and ball doesnt seem to go anywhere.

So give all that information what driver should i maybe look at to get the desired workability but still get the distance i want?

Have been thinging about Ping i15/i20 or G15 but i believe i need a loft at around 7.5 and that 8.5 will launch to high for me.
also should i maybe purchase some 6 gram weights and try them in the R11?
or is there any other driver i should try.

With an open face, it's obviously going to be difficult to hit draws. Have you tried it at neutral?

+1 on Darren K's response, once the face is that open, by the time you reach the ball even when you set up for the draw, the face is either square or a tad bit open to the swing path, so the draw doesn't work. On thing I suggest is to buy a weight kit and mess around with different weigh combinations, that 10g in the toe real keeps the face open at impact or in your case it keeps it from closing. Maybe you need another combination of weight to make it more neutral, you may spend $30 but it's much better than spending $400 on a new driver

with an open face setting and then 10g in toe, 1 g in heel which makes it even more fade bias.
try 10g in heel and 1 g in toe.

I'm going to assume with your launch stats that you can bomb it pretty good, so why not hit 3 wood on holes where you need a draw? I'm sure you can hit that plenty far without messing with what sounds like a pretty solid stock shot you have going with your driver?

I'm going to assume with your launch stats that you can bomb it pretty good, so why not hit 3 wood on holes where you need a draw? I'm sure you can hit that plenty far without messing with what sounds like a pretty solid stock shot you have going with your driver?

This ^^

Also couldn't you get a lower launching shaft for an i15/i20? I'm sure you could find something that works with an 8.5 head.

went out last night and played with every setting on the driver again. 10 gram in heel makes to big of a draw and doesnt sound solid. set plate to nuetral and hit some ok but ball starts farther left then i like and still didnt have a consistant draw. so last night i bought 2 6gram weights and im going to play around with the weights.

also today i went through all my clubs and checked loft/lie/swingweight and such and i found out my R11 with rip alpha measure at 45.5" and D7!!!! what would cause my swingweight to be so high? the total club weight is 326 grams

so what i was thinking is taking the 10 gram out of the toe and putting in the 6 which will get my swingweight down to D5.

If working the ball is your priority, I would look into the titleist 910D3. I have mine setup with a slightly closed face but I can hit a baby fade almost at will (my typical flight is a draw). The smaller head definitely makes working the ball easier. Additionally, you can adjust the lie and loft separately so you can maintain your desired loft without having to be forced into a certain lie angle. Just my $0.02

Sorry to hijack but what's d7 and d5?
Also what should swing weight be around for a driver ?
I'm abut worried now :)

Just tappin away

It is a measurement of the balance point of the club or more or less swingweight is how heavy or light the club feels.
the R11 is supposed to be a D4 swingweight so mine is on the heavier side.

How can you measure this as I'd like to find out (will be very useful)
Thanks

Just tappin away

How can you measure this as I'd like to find out (will be very useful)
Thanks

Just tappin away

go to a reputable clubmaker and they usually have all the equipment to check and/or change it.... not sure if Golfsmith would be able to do it (not 100% accuratley at least)

Oh I thought it was possible to do it yourself, ill ask my local course :)
Thanks
Just tappin away

Back