Most Cost Effective Rangefinder or Watch?

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My son who is a very good golfer but tends to lose stuff; wants a rangefinder or watch to just measure distance to the hole. His last was either lost or stolen. Trying to get best price point for a decent product for a gift idea to him from a relative. I might chip in to help them buy for right product. Something that could be secured in someway would be very helpful.

Precision Pro used @Kenomikes 9 HD (not sure nane). But for the price and how it was working, definitely rivaled my time with the big names

I use a little Izzo gps that I attach to my push cart. It works great and as I mount it on my cart not a chance to loose. My playing partners have rangefinders and to me on the course we play they do nothing but slow us down. When my cart stops rolling I have distance to center, front, and back of green. I've already looked at PIN location as I'm walking. I've pulled my club before my playing partners even get the rangefinder out of the bag. 99% of the time what they find is within 2 yards of what I'm playing and I did it roughly 45 to 90 seconds faster.

some rangefinders will adjust for effective distance based on incline or decline. I have to figure that out in my head with only a GPS

I got the budget caddy tek rangefinder from costcovfor $100, has slope and option to turn off slope, no issues on my end. Paired with s20 watch, got all the bases covered

Thanks all and Costco is an interesting thought as have to fight crowds there another reason soon

I’m really considering the Shot Scope V3 for next season. I’ve tried another data recorder/GPS before and I think it’s awesome having all of that information available.

I wish I could demo a unit... I'm not sure how well I'd take to something on my wrist. Although, I'm sure I could get used to it.

@ddec Just reviewed the Voice Caddie L4 yesterday and dollar for dollar its hard to beat with 6x optics, slope, etc.

I think for a bit more $ the Shotscope V3 has the most bang for the buck with shot tracking included as well. It's like a GPS watch with Arccos included.

I bought a used, refurbished, Golf Buddy GPS handheld device on eBay for $60 that has a color screen showing an overview of the hole, distance to hazards, distance to front middle and back of green and will keep your score with a rechargeable battery. For an extra $5 I got a two year warranty. No subscriptions. It’s small enough to keep in your pocket and as accurate as any other device.

The Garmin G10 is about $110 if I remember correctly. It is small and clips onto your belt. I have one and it is great.

PrecisionPro NX9 is $200ish shipped with the THP coupon from Budget Golf. Really hard to beat.

PrecisionPro NX9 is $200ish shipped with the THP coupon from Budget Golf. Really hard to beat.

Do you feel like your VoiceCaddie with issues was worth the price? I know CS is working on a resolution, but generally curious.

Do you feel like your VoiceCaddie with issues was worth the price? I know CS is working on a resolution, but generally curious.
I actually just closed that with them yesterday. They tested and said they couldn't reproduce the issue. I ran the updates with CS on the phone and then tested to no avail. Could've been a bad unit, but they said if they sent it back to me I'd be out of the 30day return window so advised I could keep it or get a refund. I took the refund. All that to say, it's hard to say. Feature wise, it's as rich as any top tier device out there. I was hoping to get to test out the green data detail for accuracy, but wasn't able to. The laser is fantastic. Crystal clear and accurate. I still think they'd be smarter pricing it $50 cheaper to gain some traction. I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

I use both a lot. The watch is all I use from distance. Once in approach range I’ll pull out the range finder. The watch would be my choice if I only had one because it is always showing me distance to front, middle and back of the green. Investing in a nice golf watch is worth it to me. However I don’t tend to lose things and they can be pricey.

Precision Pro used @Kenomikes 9 HD (not sure nane). But for the price and how it was working, definitely rivaled my time with the big names

Precision Pro NX9 Slope. Fast and accurate and of course the price.

Thanks all some good choices to investigate further. Regards,

I will add the Arccos system to mix. The sensors can be had used for a good price. The app provides rangefinder/ gps type info as well as keeping stats and providing analytics on those stats. It also has a tournament mode as well. The minor down side is the need for phone or watch contact for info.

The Garmin Vivoactive 3 is well featured and sale priced right now at $129. A very good watch with golf app that provides quite a few features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Between a watch and rangefinder, I'd go rangefinder. I really like Arccos though - it does everything!

Thanks all!

Back