Dennisavery

Reaction score
Handicap
I decided to pull the trigger and order a Maxvert 1 Driver. I received the driver on Monday April 22, 2024.

I am 66 years old, swing speed around 70 MPH. The Driver was ordered with a senior shaft.

I live on a golf course and have tested it on the range, off the tee next to my house as well as on my SC4 VoiceCaddy simulator. I tested it side-by-side each time with my Callaway Maverik Driver. The distances are almost identical. I have about the same # of good hits and miss-hits for each club. I tend to block the Maxvert more to the right whereas I can get consistent draws with my Callaway.

Where I seem to be having trouble is shaping my shots. I find it easier to hit a draw or a fade on demand with my original driver. When I try to hit a draw with the Maxvert I either hook it, hit it straight or block it to the right. The Maxvert does require a different, more upright swing, similar to my 3 wood. I thought that I would be able to hit the center face more frequently with the shorter shaft of the Maxvert, but contact tape indicates approximately the same number of center-of-face contact and similar heel/toe hits with both clubs.

Part of the problem maybe I need to hit the Maxvert 1 driver exclusively for a week or two to get the swing mechanics down and develop a feel for swinging the club. It doesn't "feel" familiar. Switching back and forth between the two clubs my be throwing my rhythm off. I plan on continuing the comparison and will post an update in a few weeks.

After hitting it some more today, here are my thoughts:

I have played golf for 11 years. I started at the age of 55. This January I learned to hit a draw. My average drive stats went from 167 yds per game to 184 yds per game.

The club is designed for slice correction. On average, I am hitting the Maxvert just a couple of yards shorter than my Callaway Maverick (based on simulator stats and actual range data).

When you purchase the club they provide a whole set of training videos to teach one how to hit a draw. Plus the shorter, more upright club tends to tame a slice.

Had I still been hitting my slice like I used to, I would definitely be hitting the Maxvert further than the CM. But having corrected my problem before receiving the club I believe eliminated the club's advantages.

If you have played for decades and still cannot hit a draw, you may want to try this club.

This is my perspective.

Sent from my moto g 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk

Back