Longer irons play

jnug

Reaction score
Saw the thread response to anotherday with regard to the longer irons. I guess we all struggle with them but for different reasons.

I think I tend to try to get too aggressive with the swing in the sense that I tend to exaggerate my hip and shoulder turn on occasion.

Should the set up get closer and closer to a fairway wood set up as the iron shaft length gets longer and longer?

Should I try to keep my swing rhythm and position the same regardless of shaft length and basically let the club do the work?

jnug - No and Yes.

No regarding closer to the wood position. It truly depends on what you mean when you say "Should the set up get closer and closer to a fairway wood set up as the iron shaft length gets longer and longer?" Not sure what you mean there so I don't know where to take the conversation.

Yes regarding the same rythm. Most people do try to over hit their longer irons for whatever reason. I had the chance to listen to Charles Howell III when he was here back when they had The Iternational PGA event here in Colorado say he felt (at that time, could be different now) that his driver swing was his 5 iron swing to help keep him in control when he gets into his longer clubs.

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Back