Long irons vs driving irons

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I carry a driving iron and a four iron. The driving iron comes off low and running and is not ideal for long par threes or long second shot into green due to launch. My 4i launches mid to high but lacks the distance I want on 220 par 3s.

My question is this, if I set the loft of the driving iron to that of the iron, will I get the extra yardage I want?

What loft is your driving iron?

From what I have found, not really. Better/more consistent distances, but built the same way no. I had to get a stronger lofted UT and build to 4 iron length to get the extra distance, but I don't have problem launching many clubs, so I can get away with it where it sounds like that is what is causing problems in the first place for you.

That's weird, I find I hit my Apex UT pretty high when I get it in the middle. Higher than my 3i anyway. It doesn't launch like a hybrid is supposed to, but I suppose I play a lot of spin as it is.

What loft is your driving iron?

I can adjust from 18* to 21*. I set it to 21* while warming up and the launch was higher and the length was there. Now let’s see how it works on the course

seems like a driving iron would launch higher loft-to-loft, because it has more junk in the trunk.

This is nothing but anecdotal
That's weird, I find I hit my Apex UT pretty high when I get it in the middle. Higher than my 3i anyway. It doesn't launch like a hybrid is supposed to, but I suppose I play a lot of spin as it is.

I have a 21* old gen Apex UT and I launch it pretty high, like driver flight. I had one bent to 15* and a 24* and that was the same across the board. I hit my 5 iron pretty high too though.

I’ll add the caveat that I play at 5600 feet above sea level these days, but I hit the 26* 5 iron 250-255 off the tee, but the 21* utility is a 300yd driver alternative. There is something to be said for the utility vs long iron.

This is nothing but anecdotal

I have a 21* old gen Apex UT and I launch it pretty high, like driver flight. I had one bent to 15* and a 24* and that was the same across the board. I hit my 5 iron pretty high too though.

I’ll add the caveat that I play at 5600 feet above sea level these days, but I hit the 26* 5 iron 250-255 off the tee, but the 21* utility is a 300yd driver alternative. There is something to be said for the utility vs long iron.
I have so thought about getting a UT and bending it to 16°...

Back