AK jr.

d2 college player
Reaction score
Handicap
this isnt really game improvement, but i didn't feel like it felt correct in the "Golf" thread. does anybody load the club right before impact, mainly with a driver? i have been working on somewhat of a stack and tilt swing and i have noticed that this method allows a huge load before impact. i play against a lot of juniors around here who load the club like spidermonkeys before they hit. they crush the ball too. i was just asking if anybody does that and if anybody knows exactly what the benefits are

Not sure I completely understand what you are asking... but are you referring to the amount of coil someone gets?

I'm not completely sure I know what you mean either AK. If you are referring to some sort of torque on the club via the backswing, be careful. It would seem to indicate a fast backswing which is not good. It can take a person off plane & ruin the rest of the swing.

If as TinCupTampa has mentioned, you mean the coil on the backswing, that seems fine but also be careful about a couple of things. Some people are more flexible than others. Also, its possible some of those overly flexible 'youngsters' can over-rotate parts of their body on the backswing; eg. hips.

That's my five cents worth.

what i mean is right before impact, kind of a wrist flick. like the shaft stays almost parallel to the ground until right before impact. a lot of better highschool players have that type of swing. as far as i know, it is kind of a thing incorporated with the stack and tilt, which is what i use

Sounds very Kung Fu <---- no, I'm not making a joke

i need to find a good video of it or something to help me explain

Isn't that just delaying your release until the last possible moment thereby providing maximum clubhead speed at impact?

ya thats pretty much it, i had always heard it called loading the clubhead or loading your hands.

what i mean is right before impact, kind of a wrist flick. like the shaft stays almost parallel to the ground until right before impact. a lot of better highschool players have that type of swing. as far as i know, it is kind of a thing incorporated with the stack and tilt, which is what i use

Thats just maintaining your lag like Smallville mentioned. See Sergio if you want an example.

The only way to get that is practice... practice... practice.

I'd say Fred Couples or Ernie Els or any player who looks like they aren't swinging hard but still pound it a mile has that late release. Neither one of them look like they swing hard at all but try to find some slo-mo video of their swings (I looked a little but didn't find anything I liked yet). Might be able to see it better with photographs.

EDIT: Try this: http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/swing/video/2007/07/couples_faceon

Thats just maintaining your lag like Smallville mentioned. See Sergio if you want an example.

The only way to get that is practice... practice... practice.

Yeah, agreed. I wouldn't call it loading the club (I thought that happened at the top of your back swing?) but it is just maintaining your wrist hinge, causing your club to lag. Which in turn does help you crush the ball. :banana:

I played with an older gentleman today...His practice swing was ju horrible, fas and erratic, ten he would setup easy, slow backswing and right afer hestarted bringing the head down he always did this little whip action with speed on t. Havne't seen anything quite like it, but it worked for him! Solid par player, straight, decent length for his age/size too. Bt that little whipp thing as he started coming down was weird.

ya. it looks weird, but the people who do it really well generate a ton of power just from that action. i tried the stack and tilt the other day on the range. i fell in love with it and i'm hitting the ball really well. i found that since your lower body barely moves, it is a whole lot easier to let the club lag and then pop it right before impact

this position is loading the club...

untitled.jpg

Back