Let's Talk Swing Weight!

leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
A mystery to many of us, this video gives a few basics on why you want to pay attention to swing weight and how much difference it can make to have the right or wrong swing weight for your swing. While the demonstration is with the driver, please note what is stated about swing weight and the other clubs in your bag.

To me swingweight is more about comfort than anything else. I agree with his premise that a swingweight you aren't comfortable with can be really bad.

I've never been a big "standard" swingweight guy. My clubs are all over the map. My irons are standard, my woods are heavy (D4-D6)....my putter literally will break a swingweight machine.

It's an important variable.

SW is important to me. Right now my irons are at E3 and when I played steel shafts the SW was E8**. My instructor at the time said it was like swinging a sledge hammer. I ordered new irons recently mainly because the manufacturer said they can get the SW into what's considered normal for most recreational golfers...low to mid-D range. I'll be very curious to see how the new clubs feel.

**+2-inches

I just picked up another set of irons that are C-9 vs. what I’m playing at D-2. First impressions are that it’s a lot less work swinging the club. They certainly feel light. I “think” I’m a fan.

I just picked up another set of irons that are C-9 vs. what I’m playing at D-2. First impressions are that it’s a lot less work swinging the club. They certainly feel light. I “think” I’m a fan.
That is the feel you are looking to achieve. The correct swing weight should feel like it is a lot less work swinging the club because you aren't having to manipulate the club to get the face square or hold it off to keep it square. If you know how to crack the whip (few do), but if you do the correct swing weight should allow you to crack that whip with less effort and have it crack just beyond impact.

That is the feel you are looking to achieve. The correct swing weight should feel like it is a lot less work swinging the club because you aren't having to manipulate the club to get the face square or hold it off to keep it square. If you know how to crack the whip (few do), but if you do the correct swing weight should allow you to crack that whip with less effort and have it crack just beyond impact.

It was kind of a short session. Started off with my current PW, then swapped to the new PW. Then the same with 6i. When the first shots off new clubs are pure, you get the warm and fuzzy feeling.

I’m thinking my D/FW/H might need a little diet if this thing keeps going like it is.

I know that I prefer a heavier feeling club, but what that equates too swing weight wise I have no idea. That is something I really don't understand and know what I should be looking for.

It should really be called “swing balance”. A heavy club can have a low SW and vice versa. Basically what the weight of the head feels like in your hands.

My driver is D4. Fit several times, and I like this feel
My irons are C9 and my specialty wedges are D3-4
My last iron fitting, the fitter (PXG) said that higher SW in the irons can promote casting or early release for some?
For me, I like a little more static weight in my irons vs. heavier SW. right now my irons have 60g senior MMT's, but I think they are a little too light/soft overall, missing the center of face more than I should.

My last iron fitting, the fitter (PXG) said that higher SW in the irons can promote casting or early release for some?

After hitting my latest set I believe I’d agree. Still early, but the wheels are turning.

I’m in the swing weight sensitive crowd. I seem to swing best with a swing weight in the d4-d6 range. Going lighter than that I feel like I lose the feeling of where the club head is and end up rushing my swing.

I’ve played 130g steel for a long time. I’m trying out heavy graphite this year in my irons. With the MMT 125 in the bag this year I have already started to wonder about going down to something like a dart v 105 and swing weighting them up to d5. Maintain the balance while dropping 20g total weight could be interesting.

Maintain the balance while dropping 20g total weight could be interesting.

For sure. I’m starting to wonder if I’m pulling the club around or if the club is pulling me around. The good thing is lead tape is cheap and temporary.

For sure. I’m starting to wonder if I’m pulling the club around or if the club is pulling me around. The good thing is lead tape is cheap and temporary.
A few times since gluing up the current set I’ve had to talk myself out of grabbing some shafts off of eBay and ordering a set of takomo heads to experiment with.

This is a very new journey for me this year, will watch the video on this but I'm following a plan from a friend who I've asked for advice on other builds before for my set this year. Moved to graphite a couple of seasons ago, first with a mixed weight build (progressive weight shafts, lighter in the longer to heavier in the shorter) then same weight in the latest builds.

This season I'm keeping the same weight (105gm) but doing a progressive swingweight build based on his feedback of other builds and the most common way to make an easier to hit model.

So from my 4i I'm building out at as close to D0 as I can get it, then increments of 0.5 down the set to my PW/GW at D3.5/D4. Wedges all at D4 or as close as I can humanly get. So far I've but the 4 & 5 and hit them and so far its working well. Needing some shaft extensions to sort out lengths for the builds for the rest but working on that next.

A few times since gluing up the current set I’ve had to talk myself out of grabbing some shafts off of eBay and ordering a set of takomo heads to experiment with.

Never know what you might find. I’m sure a full fitting would answer all the questions, but where’s the fun in that?

I’m curious how/if swing speed and swing weight correlate? I’m thinking they probably should somehow. Aren’t most of the pros swing pretty heavy lumber? I grabbed a $10 50g Mitsubishi shaft to fiddle with for giggles.

Never know what you might find. I’m sure a full fitting would answer all the questions, but where’s the fun in that?

I’m curious how/if swing speed and swing weight correlate? I’m thinking they probably should somehow. Aren’t most of the pros swing pretty heavy lumber? I grabbed a $10 50g Mitsubishi shaft to fiddle with for giggles.
In part that depends on whether you manipulate the club. Different swing weight can change the degree and timing of club manipulation if that is your tendency. In that case, a different swing weight could negatively affect swing speed and contact quality.

In part that depends on whether you manipulate the club. Different swing weight can change the degree and timing of club manipulation if that is your tendency. In that case, a different swing weight could negatively affect swing speed and contact quality.
I think you might be referring to MOI matching of which swing weight is one component. MOI matching is matching the set to the club in the set that gives the golfer the most success. The aim is to have each club swing the same as your favourite club.
In my case that club was my 4-iron (I know ridiculous, but I love that club). It worked out swing weight wise, that there was a progressive difference of 1/2 a swing weight increase for each club down to the wedges.

Back