Lessons really paid off today

xcman04

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I've been taking golf lessons semi-regularly (as budget and life allows) over the past year and a half, and although I've certainly seen a lot of progress in my game since I picked up golf again after a 15 year break, I've consistently struggled with my iron/2nd shots. No matter what I did or how many lessons I was taking, I just kept not being able to hit my 2nd shots consistently. A couple of weeks ago, my instructor and I thought we had found something which would work for me, and although my round last Monday was full of hit-and-misses, today I made a couple of adjustments...and what a difference it made. I went from consistently hitting behind the ball to only doing so once in 15 holes - almost all of my 2nd shots sounded, felt, and more importantly traveled in the air like actual golf shots. Heck, I even took a divot or two with my irons - like, real divots!!!!

Granted, I still have a looooong way to go, especially in terms of muscle memory, consistency, and not pulling the ball left as much, but there was no mistaking today's round for anything other then a huge success. I've had better scoring rounds (thanks largely to some lucky bump-and-run shots), and I've hit better individual shots, but today's round was probably my best overall ball striking round in forever. Hoping I can figure out how to keep it up, but I really feel like I turned a corner today and it feels really, really great.

Congrats on the breakthrough! Hope you can keep it up!

Congrats - those ‘eureka’ moments are awesome!

I finally caved and set up a lesson a few weeks ago. Since having neck surgery back in January, have developed a wicked slice. I could tame it some of the time with a stronger grip and focusing on inside-out club path, but it invariably returned.

Asked my home course pro for help. After literally 3 swings he told me I wasn’t getting an adequate turn in the backswing and also needed to make sure my left shoulder was lower than the right. Immediate fix. It’s crazy how a knowledgeable set of eyes can diagnose something so quickly.

It's so good when you fight the right instructor. I went through 3 and then all of a sudden one guy just made it click for me, and my handicap has plummeted from unplayable to still not great, but MUCH better. Pumped for you! There's nothing like hitting the course and thinking to yourself, "wow I might actually be able to play golf"

Keep up the good work !!

Back