League Play - How Are You Doing?

So far weather extremes have limited our league to one round consisting of 7 holes. We are currently in 2nd place. Last 3 years we've done well: win, win, 2nd. Our strength is our consistency. Some new teams and players this year, and at least from posted handicaps they are loaded with strong players. We have our work cut out for us.

@snafu and myself are tied for 4th, 3 points off the lead in a 16 team league.
The 1st week we played better but we scored more points in week 2 when we played slightly better than the other team :ROFLMAO: .

League tonight was a barnburner.

We play as 2-player teams with a handicapped best-ball format. I was giving strokes to the other team's players in 4 of the 9 holes. But I played the first 3 holes, 2 par 4s sandwiching a par 3 in 1-under gross to put us 2 up early on. Later on, they won two of the holes where I was giving strokes. So, we were all tied with 3 holes to play. I was giving strokes in 2 of those 3 holes, so I really needed help from my partner.

We managed to push the next two holes, though I had a good run at birdie on the last par 3. On the final green of the final hole my partner nailed a 35-40 foot putt for birdie to win the match. He was stoked! We both were.

Out of 43 teams, we are now the only team with a perfect 5-0 record. They kinda put us in stealth mode. The official results on the website updated our record, but not our points. They are going to fix that, but most players in the league will think we are tied for third!

Lost my 9 hole match today 4&3. I played horribly. I’m now 4-3 in league play. But I’m still 3rd in my division and would be T5 in the other division so still trending for the season ending playoffs. And I won a Closest to Pin last night, 5’4”, so I’m in the bonus money too.

Last edited:
I play in 2 leagues

1 is a scratch league straight up with different formats. In that league ww are 2 and 2 with good golf not giving it away just getting beat.

2 is a handicap league to which my only victory has been against @Briton G ! Thanks Buddy. But i have been playing good golf i just get smoked in a handicap league there. One night i shot a 33 and tied 4 1/2 - 4 1/2. That being said I shot a 41 last week and scored 2 points. So that one is rough.

Tonight we lost for the first time this season and it came down to the last putt on the last hole--a hard-to-accept lip out. A great match though!

The other team and my partner were all playing at a very high level. I was too at times. But as often happens in a close match like this, I had several opportunities to turn the tide that didn't happen. I almost pulled it out on the last hole where I was giving shots to all the other players. So, I had to outright win the hole to tie. I hit a 50-yard pitch over a bunker that landed on front of the green and ended up 3 1/2 feet from the short-sided pin. But the putt lipped out.

I'm getting the short end of the skins and am strongly considering switching some things up to increase my odds. 😆

Hard to tell with all the makeups, but we've won 5 out of a possible 6 points in the two matches so far. One match to make up still and it looks like today's matches may get rained out.

My Tuesday League all of our matches have ended up close... so at least we are not getting blown out... I have played terrible up until this past Tuesday. I look like a sandbagger... 2x I shot 44 (both on front 9) and then the other night was 39(Back 9) and this past Tuesday I shot 35(back 9)

3 leauges, all individual play, no teams. Winning (3 way tie) one league with 24 guys. 3rd place in another, 5th in another. The one I am in 5th, out of 20. I had to give too many strokes to guys who had a slow start and their league cap, reset each year, was too high. Hard to win many holes in a 9 hole match giving up 13-14 strokes, no matter how well you play.

I play in both a Tuesday and Thursday league. Both leagues are 4 man teams playing for 1 point per hole and 4 points for the match. On Tuesday there is an additional 4 points for low team net score. I normally play better in the Tuesday league for some reason. This year I have shot better scores on Tuesday but won less points.

There was a handicap issue on Tuesday this week and luckily it didn't happen against my team. A team a sub playing for them and he was listed as an 11 hdcp, he hadn't played in that league in a few years and wasn't an 11 even then. Instead of the guy that runs the league overriding the sub list he was allowed to play as an 11. He should have been a 3 max. He won 13 of 14 points.

The same thing happened to a sub on my team in the past and the commissioner overrode the number and had my sub play where he should. The team that got the benefit this week was the commissioners brother.

3-0 in individual play and team is 2-1

Back