Lampkin REL 3GEN & Iomic Sticky 2.3 Comparision please

juicegoose

Reaction score
Handicap
Guys I own a set of Iomic Sticky 2.3 and love love love them. Problem is I recently tried removing them from another set of old clubs and in doing so I think the process of using the air compressor stretched them out so now they are kinda loose on the iron shafts(yes i used a tube to keep the grips from blowing up same way I've always done it). So yesterday an employee at my club showed of his Lampkin REL 3GEN grips and they seemed very similiar. Can anyone with more knowledge then myself tell me the difference spec wise on the grips? When I recently bought my Mizuno's they came with golf pride m21 standards and I did not like them at all. They felt to large which is why I liked the Iomics in the first place.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment a lot on the IOMICS, but I do have the REL 3Gens on my wedges (in white). I do like them. They aren't too firm and they aren't too tacky. They do need a little more TLC than the Tour Velvets I've played for so dang long. I also cannot comment too much on the size factor as I have 2 extra wraps under the standard size.

I love my 3GEN's on my i20's. Tacky without being sticky and soft without being squishy.

From what I gather most people build up the grip. I on the other hand prefer a smaller sized grip. Might have to order a set up.

From what I gather most people build up the grip. I on the other hand prefer a smaller sized grip. Might have to order a set up.

Well, I think the smallest, thinnest grip out there could be the PURE grips, especially the RED series. You can literally put them directly onto the shaft, without any tape. It sounds like that's kind of what you're looking for.

hmmm Hadn't heard of PURE grips. I wouldn't say overly small grips just slightly undersized seems to feel better to me. Call me crazy ya know.

hmmm Hadn't heard of PURE grips. I wouldn't say overly small grips just slightly undersized seems to feel better to me. Call me crazy ya know.

I play golf with a dude locally just like that. He loves his PURE's. The THP store has PURE Grips for sale man. Give them a gander.

The THP pures look sweet!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

i have both grips and the rel gens aren't as thick as the stickys. i just bought enough rel gens to replace my irons but i think im going back to Tour velvets on my irons or another iomic the rel gens on my wedges are loose at the bottom of the grip on my wedges and they are to slick for my liking. The Rel Gens look great i bought a bunch of the grey and they look cool but i don't think they are for me.

Beside the taper of the performance plus 3Gens, what is the difference in those vs the REL 3Gen's?

I currently love my PP 3gens but like the color options of the REL's.

If you like smaller grips but not ladies size small, you should consider the Sticky 1.8s. I had a set of the 1.8's and recently switched to the undersized/ladies size REL 3GENs (built up with 2 wraps of tape). They are both similar in their sticky/tackiness but the Iomics feel more firm. I noticed when I would swing really hard, the REL's would almost feel like they are stretching and rotating around the shaft. The Iomics definitely hold up better than the REL's too. My 7 iron is the one i use at the range and the REL started pilling/wearing really fast. I have had the same Iomic grip on my driver for about a year and it is still holding up fine. I just ordered a new set of irons and will be putting on a set of Sticky 1.8's. For me, the only downside of the Iomics is that once they are on, you cannot remove/reinstall them. They stretch out when they are blown off and do not go back to their regular shape, especially lower on the grip. I have removed/reinstalled the REL's and they maintained their shape better. If you ever compared the two when they are not installed, you can tell that the REL's are way thinner than the iomics.

Oh, and the REL 3GENs smell like bubblegum and that does not go away. That may be a positive to some people though

Back