Jeanthemachine

Earl of Limerick
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.7
I went to "my" GolfTEC store today for a "Component" (read driver) fitting.

I am a short hitter and am playing with a driver that is about 5 years old. I figured it was about time to upgrade and, maybe, pick up a few yards off the tee by picking up some new technology and having it appropriately fit for my swing.

I got to my appointment a few minutes early and had an opportunity to arm up a little before the session. After a discussion about some likes/dislikes my coach picked a driver (happened to be from Cleveland) to get a baseline from which the computer could make some recommendations for heads and shafts.

After putting together clubs from Taylor Made, Cleveland and Adams, I hit about eight /ten shots with each and the computer did its thing. The computer was happy with the launch angle and spin with each of the clubs. Ball speed, carry and decent angle were also within parameters.

I am NOT going to share my swing speed, ball speed, spin numbers, carry or total distance because, well just because.

The final results showed that the Burner was best but only by the tiniest margin over the other clubs.

Then the "big Ta Da"

I tried my old driver. The results were nearly identical with all the other drivers. The launch was a little lower and spin was lower too but total distance was within 5 yards of the longest of the new products.

The new clubs were all nice and I would have been prepared to spend the bucks for 15 yards; maybe even 10 yards. But 5; not me.

The number that was most interesting was that my slowest and "fastest" swing speeds were within 2 MPH. I may not be fast but I am consistent.

Well, bottom line, I really enjoyed the process and was pleased that GolfTEC did not pressure me to purchase new equipment which would deliver such minimal improvement.

Bad news for me is that my coach is moving away but I am confident that my new GolfTEC coach will provide great service too.

I keep hearing awesome things about GolfTec and how they handled this does not suprise me. i do find it interesting that Your old club was still that close to the newer stuff out there.

That was a real good post, Jean. Thanks for sharing it!

I just signed up for a series of lessons from GolfTec today. There is one 5 minutes from my office so I will be going once a week after work.

Gotta get ready just in case I make the Morgan Cup!

I'm guessing we have the same coach, DH? I hate that he is leaving, my experience wtih him as been great.

I'm glad you saved some money, its always good to have the data saying that the club you are using works pretty well for you.

Back