Judging a Club's Condition

JF

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to be a better judge of the condition of a golf club, but it's so hard to figure out how to judge condition. The worst I have ever seen described was a "6" for a wedge that had next to nothing left for grooves. What would a "3" be? Half the head snapped off and a cracked shaft? Some define a "9" as a club with no sky marks but an absolutely marred face, to others a "9" is a club hit once. I've personally purchased clubs labeled "good" that I thought were new, and have seen friends receive clubs labeled "great" but have marred faces and a scratched sole (only "great" think is no sky marks). How does one (if at all) go about figuring in numbers 1-5 to be more realistic on a ten point scale? Where is the line drawn for word descriptions like "great?" When trying to describe condition, is it more about being honest to the buyer or trying to fluff up your number so they think they are getting something good (such as giving a club with a marred face and a scratched sole a "9").

Just some random thoughts I had today while trying to figure out how to describe two putters I'm eBaying off. Most of us have dealth with used equipment both here and the bay, help me out guys. What is a good way to fairly judge the condition of a club?

I'm trying to figure out how to be a better judge of the condition of a golf club, but it's so hard to figure out how to judge condition. The worst I have ever seen described was a "6" for a wedge that had next to nothing left for grooves. What would a "3" be? Half the head snapped off and a cracked shaft? Some define a "9" as a club with no sky marks but an absolutely marred face, to others a "9" is a club hit once. I've personally purchased clubs labeled "good" that I thought were new, and have seen friends receive clubs labeled "great" but have marred faces and a scratched sole (only "great" think is no sky marks). How does one (if at all) go about figuring in numbers 1-5 to be more realistic on a ten point scale? Where is the line drawn for word descriptions like "great?" When trying to describe condition, is it more about being honest to the buyer or trying to fluff up your number so they think they are getting something good (such as giving a club with a marred face and a scratched sole a "9").

Just some random thoughts I had today while trying to figure out how to describe two putters I'm eBaying off. Most of us have dealth with used equipment both here and the bay, help me out guys. What is a good way to fairly judge the condition of a club?

This is what I always go by. These guys have a great reputation for grading clubs and being honest about selling quality pre-owned golf clubs...

3BALLS

I think there are two ways to do this, you can sell it as used with normal wear and tear, and label it like 3.5-4 condition, or you can take pictures and describe major blemishes like sky marks etc, I think face wear is considered normal wear and tear, but sky marks aren't and in my opinion should be described and photographed. Depending on how many sky marks you could probably sell it at a 3.5 if there are a lot, and a 4.0 if they are minor. In the end the club is listed as used so the buyer should understand that

This is what I always go by. These guys have a great reputation for grading clubs and being honest about selling quality pre-owned golf clubs...

3BALLS

So they actually utilize all seven numbers on their scale, unlike the common system of throwing out a number near ten and calling it good. This is the kind of scale I wish everyone would use.

So they actually utilize all seven numbers on their scale, unlike the common system of throwing out a number near ten and calling it good. This is the kind of scale I wish everyone would use.

Definitely!! Much less confusion this way. How would someone distinguish between 9.0 and 9.5 out of 10 anyway?

I've wondered this myself. Some guy tried to sell me this club online yesterday. He said it was a 6/10, but I'm not so sure. Seems too good to be true.

Spoiler
PutterFail017_zps59d196d5.jpg

:alien:

Me, as a seller, I just take great pictures and tell people it's not as bad as the pics show. Because it never is.

Then I let them decide on the number.

Me, as a seller, I just take great pictures and tell people it's not as bad as the pics show. Because it never is.

Then I let them decide on the number.

Agree, there is no scale that beats good actual photos.

I've wondered this myself. Some guy tried to sell me this club online yesterday. He said it was a 6/10, but I'm not so sure. Seems too good to be true.

Spoiler
PutterFail017_zps59d196d5.jpg

:alien:

Where does one come up with that now? :alien:

THPing on Tapatalk

Back