It was one of those days!

DonW

Reaction score
Handicap
teens
Living in the Quad Cities I have the good fortune to play golf with Hawk and JRod on a regular basis, with MothersDay we decided it was wise to forgo our normal Sunday morning round so we went out Saturday to play the Rock Island Arsenal course to change up from our normal course. At one time this was the ultimate private country club in the area, sadly it has fallen on hard times and opened to the public last fall, it was in terrible shape when we played last fall.

JRod has been fighting a wrist injury so it was just Hawk and I, so how did the round go? We teed off at 1PM to find the course it self has already started to recover from the total lack of upkeep that was the norm for the past few years, with the government stepping in to run the course it looks promising to return to its former glory. With just the two of us and several foursomes ahead we knew we would have a slow round ahead and walked at a slower pace and proper mindset to deal with waits sure to come on the tees. We had some great shots and some bad ones, shortest hole on the course Hawk dunked a ball in the pond and mine didn't even get to the water but was lost in the flowers fronting the water. We didn't shoot our best but there were several pars scored and some great recovery shots throughout the afternoon which considering the skinny fairways and the abundance of trees I considered the round a success golf wise. The weather was perfect, we finished our round in exactly four hours, we had some entertainment provided by the groups ahead of us (at one point it appeared a foursome and the twosome ahead of us were in some form of disagreement and were chasing one another in their power carts).

It was just one of those nice relaxing, perfect weather, highly enjoyable rounds of golf! Thanks Hawk, I wish you were there JRod, and it all happened because I found the THP golf forum. Thanks to JB/GolferGal and all the staff! No other forum has ever been so friendly and welcoming that it made me want to actually meeting another member face to face to play a round of golf. :clapp:

Great Story Don, it's amazing how THP has brought so many of us together.

A four hour round at a slower pace isn't all that bad. Sounds like a fun day for you two.

A four hour round at a slower pace isn't all that bad. Sounds like a fun day for you two.

You need to play a round with Hawk, he does not let any grass grow under his spikes, which suits me just fine so this was one of our slower rounds as a twosome.

You need to play a round with Hawk, he does not let any grass grow under his spikes, which suits me just fine so this was one of our slower rounds as a twosome.

I like to play fast too. Hawk has been taking pace of play lessons from JB! Hard to keep up a good pace with slow groups ahead of you though.

I did play a round with Hawk last Spring in Florida. That night he ended up with socks on his head!

Sounds fun. I want to take a jaunt west and join you guys one day!

Yes it is great how so many of us are getting together for a great time thanks to THP.

Sounds fun. I want to take a jaunt west and join you guys one day!

Hawk and I were discussing having a get together here in the Quadcities this summer, we have some decent courses and really cheap rates. I'm new to the area but more than willing to join up with anyone who would like to experience our courses here. Between TPC, Glynn's Creek, and the soon to open Fyre Lake (new Nicklaus design that was to be ultra exclusive but will now allow some public play) we have some great golf. Even the Munies here are nice, due to the competition for green fees rates are low and upkeep is above the norm in my opinion.

Hawk and I were discussing having a get together here in the Quadcities this summer, we have some decent courses and really cheap rates. I'm new to the area but more than willing to join up with anyone who would like to experience our courses here. Between TPC, Glynn's Creek, and the soon to open Fyre Lake (new Nicklaus design that was to be ultra exclusive but will now allow some public play) we have some great golf. Even the Munies here are nice, due to the competition for green fees rates are low and upkeep is above the norm in my opinion.

If you guys would consider a get together in the Des Moines area, I might be interested in that. Would probably be able to get my ex BIL involved too. Hard for me to know for sure though, because Saturdays are usually a work day for me.

If you guys would consider a get together in the Des Moines area, I might be interested in that. Would probably be able to get my ex BIL involved too. Hard for me to know for sure though, because Saturdays are usually a work day for me.

Des Moines might work for me as my SIL just bought a house there, but I know nothing of the golf in the area.

Des Moines might work for me as my SIL just bought a house there, but I know nothing of the golf in the area.

That's where he would come in. We've golfed all around the area when my ex and I were married.

glad to hear, i feel the same way!!

Nice post, Don! It's nice to have some playing partners that love to talk golf as much I as do. Couldn't have asked for better weather. Sunny, in the 70's, and a tiny breeze. Only thing I disagree with is that I put that shot in the bunker! Then I had a nice out and two putted from 7 feet argggggghhh.

The weather was perfect, we finished our round in exactly four hours, we had some entertainment provided by the groups ahead of us (at one point it appeared a foursome and the twosome ahead of us were in some form of disagreement and were chasing one another in their power carts).

Yep, saturday was perfect weather. As for a get together, first, I'm in, and would love to play with some fellow THPers, and would suggest any of the following, Des Moines, Iowa City, or the Quad Cities. As for Des Moines courses, I lived there for four years, so I have played some of the courses, and at least know most of the others by reputation.

There's nothing better than seeing two groups bicker at each other (so long as it doesn't get too intense, so I don't know, two carts chasing each other seems 'bad' for the condition of the course.)

Only thing I disagree with is that I put that shot in the bunker! Then I had a nice out and two putted from 7 feet argggggghhh.

You're absolutely right, it was the guy in front of us who dunked one, old age sucks as the mind goes to total mush. When I thought of the round that ball splashing down just stuck in my mind sorry I attributed it you.

I might as well hit it in the drink lol.

Posted via Tapatalk.

I might as well hit it in the drink lol.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Might as well. But if you do use the Chromax so you can find it!

Back