Is the Doctor in? Old guy with life long putting y**s

JAMKC

Reaction score
So, long time player back after an 18(!) year break due to life, etc. Long ago, my game was ok (~15 hcp) with the biggest issue being a bad case of the yips with a short putter. Only thing that kept me playing was a broomstick putter. Fast forward to 12 months ago when I started playing again. Tried a short putter and within a few strokes was in trouble. Tried an armlock and a little better but ultimately struggled again. Now also having problems chipping. Read a lot and think it's the "hit" thought that causes me to lock up. Have tried looking at the hole but still struggle.

The broomstick eliminates it immediately. That said, I'd REALLY like to not have to use it. Picked up another armlock in the Classifieds and it arrives this week.

Any really good ideas for me to get past this?

Things you might try… no guarantees but…

Grip the club really tightly as you setup. Then release grip pressure just before your takeaway…

And/or

Inhale on your back stroke, then exhale on your follow through.

Things you might try… no guarantees but…

Grip the club really tightly as you setup. Then release grip pressure just before your takeaway…

And/or

Inhale on your back stroke, then exhale on your follow through.
JRT, good thoughts!

have you tried broomstick without anchoring? or like adam scott and bernard langer, "without" anchoring? haha

i too have the yips. it really sucks. i've gone to a superstroke 3.0 fatso grip on the putter, a modified saw grip with my hands, a double bend neck, and a very high moi mallet putter. no, i don't make everything, but i don't yip my putts either.

the chipping is a work in progress, which has seen a lot of work and very little progress.

I had the yips. There are two solutions:

1) A 48" Broomstick.... I play an Odyssey 48" White Ice Dart without anchoring. And it works. Also Odyssey will custom make these if you call them.
OR
2) Try an Armlock putter. Cobra makes a good one. So does Odyssey.

What is wrong with using a broomstick or armlock putter besides ego?

Nothing wrong with either to me. Would prefer something shorter than the broom in my bag. Can’t put bag in trunk without taking the broom out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The broomstick works best. Have you tried the claw grip? That tends to help also.

Back