Is it possible to build a very forgiving driver with low spin and no bias?

BamBooBender

See-Moe
Reaction score
Handicap
My brain
I'm no club design expert by any means, but I have looked into this a lot and find that what I have read seems to be true based on my testing.

It seems like, from what I have read here, and other places online, that having a very high MOI puts some amount of draw bias into a driver. And, again from what I have read, it seems like it's very hard to get the vertical CG to be equal to the actual vertical center of the club.
I'm not sure it is since there always seem to be trade offs, but then I wonder if it is possible but not financially viable for the company since most golfers tend to slice the ball.

What do you guy's think?

The day they prefect this concept is the day I stop pursuing new drivers.

True, good point! I am still searching for that however.

The day they prefect this concept is the day I stop pursuing new drivers.

I think that they are constantly evolving drivers to create a one that will not only allow people with one type of swing to hit it, but also to work for all kinds of swings. and I think that if you give it to a robot it with a 100% repeatable swing, it will perform perfectly, but we don't hit like robots, so not every swing we hit is on the money.

So I think the tradeoff is that a driver has to be able to encompass multiple swing types.

Depends on what one means by forgiveness. The ball can only spin on one axis, therefore low spin can help. And in this day and age, most drivers are pretty low spin compared to 5 years ago.

If you do a quick google search for moi charts. I've noticed the Ping G has a very high MOI and also included on another tab of data there is bias. The Ping G was right on the center line. I wouldn't consider it overly spinny either. Mid spin perhaps. If you need even less spin the LS tec offers Lower spin. I'm sure there are others too. I'll check the charts.

For me, at least, it's the M1 with the loft dialed back to 8 degrees and the center weight brought all the way to the front. Worked for my swing.

You need spin to get the ball in the air. Without spin, there is no distance.

The most forgiving driver is the highest loft, as this moves the axis more toward the horizontal and away from the vertical, limiting side spin due to swing flaws.

Low loft and forgiving do not go together.

To increase moi is to move the weight around to the perimeter as evenly as possible to resist twisting as it moves through the air, since the hosel is at the heel, there will always have to be a bias in the design to counteract the toe moving slower than the heel.

So you can have the most balanced driver but without bias it's not likely.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Yes...I've done it!...

This driver has no draw or fade bias whatsoever and has low spin, but not so low as to cause problems! This particular driver/shaft combo is long, solid feeling, goes dead straight, and is extremely forgiving! Seems to be a perfect 'blend' of performance attributes.

I recommend the 9.5* loft because there is no need to 'loft up' with this model. The new lower profile clubhead was redesigned in 2015 by TM to enhance both forgiveness and consistency. Finally, TM has given us a truly forgiving SLDR Driver! With a properly fitted premium shaft, this driver is as good as it gets!

See pics below!

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SLDR-C Driver.jpg
    SLDR-C Driver.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • kusala.jpg
    kusala.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SLDR-C clubface.jpg
    SLDR-C clubface.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 0
  • sldr-cCrown3.jpg
    sldr-cCrown3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It is probably technically possible; however, I don't think our swings wouldn't be consistent enough to actually make use of that design.

Back