Is it possible to be 6 foot tall and need flat clubs?

Coachfrizz

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.0
Had the burner 2.0's and was fit for a 1/2 inch long and 2* upright and played that for a bought a year and never was consistent with them. Decided to get the r11's and got them on ebay with project x 5.5 and 1* flat cause it was a pretty good deal. I was going to have them bent, without hitting them, but I decided to go play with them and I'm hitting them great, not sure what to do? Do I have them bent or just leave them alone? I think my first fitting was bad and my swing has changed some since then too.

Had the burner 2.0's and was fit for a 1/2 inch long and 2* upright and played that for a bought a year and never was consistent with them. Decided to get the r11's and got them on ebay with project x 5.5 and 1* flat cause it was a pretty good deal. I was going to have them bent, without hitting them, but I decided to go play with them and I'm hitting them great, not sure what to do? Do I have them bent or just leave them alone? I think my first fitting was bad and my swing has changed some since then too.

I would just give them some more time. If you are hitting them well, I'd leave them alone for now. They can be bent anytime.

I have a friend who is right at 6 ft tall and he has played on the mini tours. His irons are 2 degrees flat although his swing is somewhat flat. I think it's something to it about your swing plane as much as your height. This is an interesting thread! Good topic.

I would go see a reputable fitter, which is what I suggest anytime you buy used clubs. Just because the seller said they were 1* flat does not make it true. Also, the lofts should be checked since those can get bent out of line a little bit, too. If you are hitting these clubs well then there is no reason to rush out to the see a club fitter, but I would recommend you get it on your to do list. Your body is able to make the necessary adjustments to play with poorly fit clubs, but you could be doing some long term damage to your swing mechanics.

Funny thing is, most people don't see much change in the lie angle they need even when they make major swing changes. I have always needed clubs about 1.5* upright even though my swing plane is much flatter today than it was 10 or 15 years ago. You might need a minor adjustment based upon the changes in your swing, or as you said you original fitting might not have been very accurate.

I'm going to get the specs checked on these to see how flat they actually are. I hate to have them bent when I'm hitting them well, prob need to be refit. Funny thing is that my last fitter had me fitted for clubs 1 inch long and these are standard length and fit so much better

Dont change them. You know oyull regret it. So why?
I'm going to get the specs checked on these to see how flat they actually are. I hate to have them bent when I'm hitting them well, prob need to be refit. Funny thing is that my last fitter had me fitted for clubs 1 inch long and these are standard length and fit so much better

There has already been some great advice in this thread, but I'm 6'3" and my irons are 1* flat, so yes it is possible.

I'm starting to think that these fitters just assume since your 6 foot tall or taller that u need longer clubs and need them upright without actually carefully fitting u for what u really need. It's easier that way. I might be wrong tho

I'm starting to think that these fitters just assume since your 6 foot tall or taller that u need longer clubs and need them upright without actually carefully fitting u for what u really need. It's easier that way. I might be wrong tho

I agree Coach and would not rule out that a bit flatter lie might actually benefit you in the long run. If the heel of your club is digging more than not it might be one of the signs to go a bit flatter. With that said I am certainly far from being an expert so do make an educated choice.

Length of arms in concert with your actual height plays as large a role as height alone does as well. If you have long monkey arms then yeah maybe flatter is a possibility even for a taller person (if need be). Or if your arms are short stumpy things then maybe a little upright (once again, if need be). But just remember all of it plays off of each other; height, arm length, swing plane, the flex and torque of the shaft your fit to.

And don't forget SHAFT DEFORMATION!!! Unless you have a Shotmaker, then your covered...

Sorry! Pay no mind to that last one.

I'm 6'3 and use standard L/L. Even have gotten fitted, these just work for me.

It depends how low your arms/hands hang down during your swing. Yes- you can be 6' and need flat clubs, I'm 6' myself and the toe on standard clubs tend to separate from the turf. I'm thinking about flattening my irons 1*.

Flat from what??? Not all irons angles are the same... there can be 3 degrees diference between 6 irons of different club manufacturers. Thus, I can be 2 degrees flat with one company, and 1 degree upright for another.

I am 6 foot and can be flat with certain club makers, particularly in the lower irons.

Flat from what??? Not all irons angles are the same... there can be 3 degrees diference between 6 irons of different club manufacturers. Thus, I can be 2 degrees flat with one company, and 1 degree upright for another.

I am 6 foot and can be flat with certain club makers, particularly in the lower irons.

Very interesting and I had no clue that different mfg's had different lie angle settings. Is this based on the different lofts certain clubs have built in?

to OP -- Post a video if you can, that might help give people a better idea of your swing and maybe provide some better advice.

Advice is one thing that golf forums are never short on so take it for what it is worth... that being said, THP is the place to go for some good suggestions.

Very interesting and I had no clue that different mfg's had different lie angle settings. Is this based on the different lofts certain clubs have built in?

Gray,

I don't know the exact reason, but often, the clubs that start "more upright" typically are SGI type irons (think super burner irons or something). And, often, clubs that are considered players irons are often flatter than those SGI Irons (think mizzies mp 53 or something). I would imagine that this is because people who want the most forgiving irons have much higher hands at impact, thus leading to a steeper (toe-down) type of position at impact.

Gray,

I don't know the exact reason, but often, the clubs that start "more upright" typically are SGI type irons (think super burner irons or something). And, often, clubs that are considered players irons are often flatter than those SGI Irons (think mizzies mp 53 or something). I would imagine that this is because people who want the most forgiving irons have much higher hands at address, thus leading to a steeper (toe-down) type of position at impact.

Hmmmmm good point and this makes a heap of sense. Thanks Loop.

If the clubs are too flat for me how will I know? And if these clubs ending up working like I think they are, than this will end up being a heck of a eBay win for me

If the clubs are too flat for me how will I know? And if these clubs ending up working like I think they are, than this will end up being a heck of a eBay win for me

Well just from your shot shape if you normally hit the ball fairly straight or draw it and you start missing it out too far to the right, it's a safe bet that they bent them too much flat for you. The toe of the club will hit the ground first. There are more folks in here that know the club fitting ins and outs that can give you a better answer.

mfgrs have different lie specs and specs vary even across different models from the same mfgr. I would get a fitting but what do your divots look like? is the toe or heel digging in or or is the dirt flat/even after the divot has been removed?

Another thing that bothers me the more I read this thread is I paid good money for a fitting and he measured me a 1 inch longer and standard seems to fit great. How do u get it that wrong when that is your job?

Another thing that bothers me the more I read this thread is I paid good money for a fitting and he measured me a 1 inch longer and standard seems to fit great. How do u get it that wrong when that is your job?

I'm not an expert but from what I have learned here at THP it takes more than just some measurements to get fit properly. Everyone is different and you need measurements along with swing analysis to get the right fit.

Sure it's possible to be 6' and have your irons flat. But if I may be the ahem...voice of reason for the lack of a better term. Why fit yourself to the clubs instead of vice versa?
Definitely see a fitter.. he or she will get you fixed right up. Enjoy your investment.

Alex

Sure it's possible to be 6' and have your irons flat. But if I may be the ahem...voice of reason for the lack of a better term. Why fit yourself to the clubs instead of vice versa?
Definitely see a fitter.. he or she will get you fixed right up. Enjoy your investment.

Alex

The very first time I was fitted several years ago, we sorta did both. My swing was "in process" at the time. At the time, at impact I came in slightly below my "shoulder plane" (the line from the ball to the middle of the right shoulder). In other words, my hands were slightly high at impact. With this swing, I would need more upright lie angles. However, we wanted to get my swing to a place where my hands would come in slightly under the "elblow plane" at impact (the line from the ball to the right elbow). This, of course, would mean that the lie angle would be flatter than my swing at the time. We measured the lie angle for my then-current swing, then the estimated lie angle for the "better swing" and then split the difference. It worked out well and, within a year, I was playing at the flatter lie angle.

Back