Irons and Driver Dilemma

mullie

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and would appreciate your input/expertise. Here’s my irons dilemma:

Swing characteristics: slow tempo, slight pause at the top, 5-iron 175 carry
Currently play Hogan Edge Pro’s w/Project X 5.0 Flighted shafts. I love the look and feel of my irons but am not happy with the shafts (i'm more swinger than hitter). I’m looking at the Nike VR Splits as the new set but not sure I should pull the trigger. The look and feel are pretty close but would I see anything more or less in the forgiveness category? Here are the options I’m considering:

1. Reshaft my Edge Pro’s to ?????........or….
2. Sell my current set (already have a buyer) and get the Nike VR Splits

Driver dilemma:
Currently play a HiBore XL 10.5, w/VS Proto byyou 60 stiff shaft. Avg 270yds. Misses are left.
Looking at a Ping G10 10.5 w/VooDoo 66g stiff shaft.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
mullie

Welcome to THP Mullie. I always recommend hitting a professional fitter up and trying everything out. However if you are just asking opinions, I love the Nike VR Splits and we reviewed them on the main site. Another set to look at and could save you a lot of money is the Nickent 4DX Pros. About as good as any player's iron we have tried and can be had for much less in most cases.

As for the driver, that is a personal thing and would recommend hitting a ton of them and going with something that fits you. We recently conducted a driver shoot out of sorts with a bunch of drivers. Here are the results.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2735&highlight=driver+shoot

Welcome to THP Mullie! We need more Hawaii people so we all can have somewhere to stay when we go out there.

Well, not me, but the rest of these people!

FWIW, I just moved from Pings over to the Nike's and couldn't be happier. But I agree... hit a bunch of clubs and see what you like best.

Welcome to the best golf forum around, got to go with JB as far as seeing a fitter but if that isn't possible getting on a launch monitor with the clubs you are looking at vs. your current works well. Got fitted for my irons but before putting the money down I went head to head with the irons I was playing and sure enough I was always straighter and longer with the new set. Good luck but stepping out with new sticks is a blast so enjoy it and have a good time.

Thank you all for the welcomes and the insight.

JB, I know you love both sets of irons but forgivenesswise is there a noticable difference between the two?

Thanks,
mullie

There really is not. Here is what I would tell you to compare the two.
1. No question the Nickents are softer. Maybe the softest feeling irons I have ever used.
2. The Nikes are a little more solid.
3. Aesthetics I prefer the Nickents but most seem to prefer the Nikes.
4. Resale value if you plan on trading them in or selling them down the road defintely goes to Nike, by a LONG SHOT.
5. Price is much cheaper for Nickent.
6. I had both and chose the Nickents as my gamers right now. But could go back anytime.

There really is not. Here is what I would tell you to compare the two.
1. No question the Nickents are softer. Maybe the softest feeling irons I have ever used.
2. The Nikes are a little more solid.
3. Aesthetics I prefer the Nickents but most seem to prefer the Nikes.
4. Resale value if you plan on trading them in or selling them down the road defintely goes to Nike, by a LONG SHOT.
5. Price is much cheaper for Nickent.
6. I had both and chose the Nickents as my gamers right now. But could go back anytime.

IMO, Nike's are about the best LOOKING irons out there.. Blades are the best looking, followed by the splits.

But good luck with your decision. If in doubt, I'd say go w/ the Nickents because they are WAY less.

Not sure what a set of Nickents cost, but deals can be had on eBay for the Nike's.

One other thing to consider is you were concerned about the shafts. The nickent 4dx pros come with the nippon steel where the nikes come with dynamic golds in them. The nippons are a little lighter and have a slightly higher ball flight to them. Just something to keep in mind as well.

Not sure what a set of Nickents cost, but deals can be had on eBay for the Nike's.

THe Nickents are FAR CHEAPER even on ebay.

Back