Iron distance vs driver distance?

GrantD

Formerly Known as DMB012
Reaction score
Handicap
I seem to have the same driver distance as most of my playing partners, but my irons are about one club shorter than them. What could cause this?

Driver distance is about a 255-260 average.

7 iron distance is about 155 average.

Ask the Pro section. Please keep it free and clear until GolfTEC has had a chance to respond.

Thanks

Maybe you have a tendency to hit your irons slightly thin and don't realize it?

Do you have a higher ball flight than your partners?

I have the exact same problem with similar driver distance and a 145 yard average 7-iron distance, so I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread!

Thank you for the question and we could go a 1,000 different directions with this one. Rather than going down the swing mechanics road, let's start with the equipment. The first thing I would want to know is if you were fit for all of your clubs? Having the correct launch and spin is critical for maximizing ball flight and distance. As we find with most clients, everyone will take the time and spend the money to get fit correctly for the driver but will just choose and iron with the corresponding flex. You also must get the launch and spin correct with the irons as well. This is one thing in particular that we do with every fitting at GolfTEC. I would pay attention to what your ball flight looks like with all of your clubs. If it looks suspiciously low or appears to be a fighter jet taking off then you may have ill-fitted golf clubs.

One other scenario would be the course you are playing on. You must remember that Drivers will roll and give you the misconception of great distance with a low flight. If you are playing on super hard fairways or elevated tee boxes, it can be further exaggerated. Greens could be soft and irons do not roll which tend to reduce overall distance. Track your stats with precision and be honest with your distance calculations. Keep in mind that the average driving distance on the PGA Tour is only around 275...

GolfTEC has a phenomenal fitting process so if you feel the clubs are the issue, don't hesitate to come see us. Best of luck!

Robert Gamble, PGA
City Manager/Director of Instruction
GolfTEC Glenwood

I have been mostly fit for my clubs. I did a fitting for a set of R9s 2 years ago and bought my R11s with the same specs. I also did a driver fitting with a Callaway tour van.

My ball flight does not seem way off of my playing partners. I have struggled with a high ball flight in the past, but try and get low launch shafts to reduce that.

I will try and do some more precise tracking on my driver, but I use a GPS and a laser most of the time now. I will do some measurements the next few times I am out and post about those.

I plan to take some videos this week of back and side angels. I will post those after I film them. Thanks for the thoughts.

Thank you for the question and we could go a 1,000 different directions with this one. Rather than going down the swing mechanics road, let's start with the equipment. The first thing I would want to know is if you were fit for all of your clubs? Having the correct launch and spin is critical for maximizing ball flight and distance. As we find with most clients, everyone will take the time and spend the money to get fit correctly for the driver but will just choose and iron with the corresponding flex. You also must get the launch and spin correct with the irons as well. This is one thing in particular that we do with every fitting at GolfTEC. I would pay attention to what your ball flight looks like with all of your clubs. If it looks suspiciously low or appears to be a fighter jet taking off then you may have ill-fitted golf clubs.

One other scenario would be the course you are playing on. You must remember that Drivers will roll and give you the misconception of great distance with a low flight. If you are playing on super hard fairways or elevated tee boxes, it can be further exaggerated. Greens could be soft and irons do not roll which tend to reduce overall distance. Track your stats with precision and be honest with your distance calculations. Keep in mind that the average driving distance on the PGA Tour is only around 275...

GolfTEC has a phenomenal fitting process so if you feel the clubs are the issue, don't hesitate to come see us. Best of luck!

Robert Gamble, PGA
City Manager/Director of Instruction
GolfTEC Glenwood

Not to get philosophical, but if you are hitting your R11's well, why does being a club behind your playing partners matter? Are you finding a big gap somewhere?

Not to get philosophical, but if you are hitting your R11's well, why does being a club behind your playing partners matter? Are you finding a big gap somewhere?

I was just trying to figure out why I am similar with the driver, but shorter with the irons. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong.

I was just trying to figure out why I am similar with the driver, but shorter with the irons. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong.

Have you ever considered it might be them doing something wrong? I have a buddy who has about 80 lbs on me and hits his irons a lot farther than me (about a 2 club difference) but off the tee we are pretty similar because he doesnt hit driver well.

Have you ever considered it might be them doing something wrong? I have a buddy who has about 80 lbs on me and hits his irons a lot farther than me (about a 2 club difference) but off the tee we are pretty similar because he doesnt hit driver well.

It seems to be most people that have the same driving distance. I feel like I am not hitting down on the ball enough. I think if I compress it better, I will gain the distance that I should.

It seems to be most people that have the same driving distance. I feel like I am not hitting down on the ball enough. I think if I compress it better, I will gain the distance that I should.

That is possible. I dont know your swing details but if you post some videos on here for GolfTec to take a look at they tend to give great advice and information.

That is possible. I dont know your swing details but if you post some videos on here for GolfTec to take a look at they tend to give great advice and information.

That is my plan. SehtO is going to head to the range with me this weekend to get some video down.

I have the exact opposite of your problem. I am hit my irons far but am short with my driver. I just hit down too much on my driver. So much so that I have taken it out of the bag

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I kind of have the opposite problem... some of the guys I play with, even the good ones, are shorter with their irons than me, but ou thit me with their driver. Makes me nuts at times, :banghead:but then I remember I suck and stop thinking about it! :D

Gotcha. I get that way sometimes. My buddies will be pulling 7 and 8 irons while I sneak my 6 out. They usually beat me up pretty good on the scorecard too!

I don't know the spec's of the r11's but your buddies may have irons with stronger lofts.

Grant, I have the same issue. It's not so much of an issue but I'm stumped when I bomb a drive buy a guy all day but I'm a club behind him when we're standing at a par three.

I have the exact opposite of your problem. I am hit my irons far but am short with my driver. I just hit down too much on my driver. So much so that I have taken it out of the bag

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I think this has something to do with it. I tilt a little more with my driver and have a positive angle of attack and generally have very low ball spin with the driver. However with my irons, I don't tilt and consciously attack the ball at a bit more steep of an angle and may be trapping the ball enough to justify this contrast in spin rate from driver to irons.

On the other hand, I have no real knowledge of why this is and I'm as curious as you. Just thought I'd send in my observations.

Back