Increase GIR's with iron accuracy?

jefrazie

Reaction score
Handicap
13.9 OOB
Andy,

First of all, my old thread regarding slicing/blocking my driver, the club is behaving. To fix this, I have given myself a stronger grip and my hands are rolling around nicely.

Now to irons! By strengthening my grip with the driver, I have started blocking my irons with a normal grip. As a quick fix, I started using a stronger grip with my irons. This fixed the blocking problem but I feel like I have lost accuracy with my irons. Each time I hit them, they will either fade or draw usually around +/- 10 yards. Which one it does is an unknown.

So this being said, how can I force myself to hit either one or the other and get some predictability in my iron game?

Thanks!!!

You have me a bit nervous when you say you hit a draw or slice now. Are both shots starting at the target and moving away from it? Or does the slice start a bit right and fall right as it looses speed? If you are truly hitting both shots I would need some video before guessing at what you could be dowing.

They are generally starting straight at the target. I will get video this weekend of both driver and irons.

Sent from my Epic 4g using Tapatalk

It sounds like your holding on when you hit the fades. Maybe getting out infront a little. I say this because your driver is now drawing on a consistent basis. Your missed should be hit right blocks. I would just make sure you are releasing the club with the irons and the fade will go away.
This is good if this is the case. With some practice you will remove the right side of the course...just saying

Here's a video from this morning when I played. I've got a video here of my 7I and my driver both from the front. I hope these are good enough to take a look at! Be gentle! :D

7I

Driver

Little grainy but you seem to be getting through the ball well. You left arm is breaking down at the top of your swing. Shorten the swing arm should stay straight, make you a little more compact.
Driver looked good, arm still not straight! Finish looks good, facing your target. Based in what I saw, I would work on shortening the swing a tad. This may help in eliminating those week right shots.

You do have a bit of a break down at the top. I would work on a little stabilizing of the low body to help clean up a lot of the swing. At setup try this. Pinch in your right knee a touch. Just enough so you feel your weight on the inside of your right foot. Now keep it there. The feel I want you to get is you turn around your right knee to the top. This will put your arms and club into a much better spot at the top. In addition to that it will allow you to get back to the ball in a more consistent manner.

I noticed in about the second frame of your take-away that your arms are still hanging down but your wrists have taken the club back first, not your arms. By working towards a "one-piece" take-away, you'll take some of the hands out of your swing as well. Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I am playing again tomorrow and will work on all these tips. This isn't the first time that I've heard that I take the club back a little bit too far.

I played today and hit pretty much everything well. I seem to be consistently hitting a 5-10 yd fade with my irons. I think the draw's that I was getting before were using a bit to strong of a grip. By going back to a neutral grip, I am just slightly fading.

Back